• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon 2012

279 posts in this topic

Heads-up to everyone who hasn't booked a Hotel yet.

After weeks of not being able to find a single 4-star hotel via Priceline's Name Your Own price feature for less then $75, I was able to book three nights at the Rosen Shingle Creek for only $65 a night. You can probably start a little lower ($55 or so) and see if they take it. Its a genuine four-star, with solid ratings from the major travel sites. The add-on fees look a little steep, though, with parking being especially rough ($16/day). However, they have a shuttle service that runs to Seaworld, Universal, and the convention center, so it may be worthwhile for those of you flying in.

I don't plan on spending a lot of time there, so the four pools and golf course probably won't do me a lot of good, but if MegaCon goes the way it normally does (i.e, you see everything there is to see by Friday mid afternoon), the wife and I will probably take the baby swimming and to Seaworld on Saturday.

Anyway, just a heads-up, we're in the two week window before the show where the hotels start dropping their prices.

BTW, for those of you who stayed at the Renaissance at SeaWorld last year and liked it, the hotel has taken a turn for the worse. My family booked three rooms there over the holidays and the service was terrible. Everyone complained about the air quality, and the air vents looked like they needed a thorough cleaning. Just be forewarned.

I have stayed at this hotel for 2 MegaCon's. It's very nice. One complaint I do have is that the parking lot is VERY far from the entrance. If you're a vendor staying here, or someone who needs to lug a lot of stuff from the car to the room, make sure to bring a cart or something.

Totally new floor plan. Don't know how anybody will find their booth if going by previous years.
numbers might not be the same, but christine told me I was in the same spot as last year... just that they expanded into the "eating" hall (shrug)

and here is a look at the weather:

Thursday (load in day) 80 and sunny (so that means sweat time!!!!)

Friday :80 and sunndy

Saturday: 74 and rainy

Sunday : 77 and sunny

going to be very warm

Totally new floor plan. Don't know how anybody will find their booth if going by previous years.
numbers might not be the same, but christine told me I was in the same spot as last year... just that they expanded into the "eating" hall (shrug)

So I'll be able to pick up a GA gem AND a chili dog with fries at the same time. Nice. :)

Only a week left. Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. I'm set up in artist alley somewhere on the edge...pink section I think.

MEGACON!!!

Planning on making the trip up from South Florida. If my memory serves there's a bunch of hotels "around" the convention center but none really close. Which one do you all recommend in terms of proximity/cleanliness.

Thanks!

There are a bunch of hotels bookending the convention center, and probably a hundred more right around it within walking distance on I-Drive. Both Rosen hotels (Centre, Plaza) are pretty nice. Priceline just told me they have 4* hotels going for around $70 a night, I assume it's Shingle Creek, which is a short drive to the convention center.