• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage auction today - post your wins, interesting results, notes, comments...

114 posts in this topic

I won the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales #2 page and the Cadillacs & Dinosaurs #4 cover. :cloud9:

Congrats! Had my eye on those two as well. The cover is a beaut, no doubt about it...but the page is even more interesting to me. Just never see those.

I won the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales #2 page and the Cadillacs & Dinosaurs #4 cover. :cloud9:

Congrats! Had my eye on those two as well. The cover is a beaut, no doubt about it...but the page is even more interesting to me. Just never see those.

Congratulations! Mark is finally receiving the appreciation and respect for the quality of his classic artwork. Mark kept most of the artwork for himself and traded some covers and artwork from "Green Air" for others' artwork. Mark did the pencils and Steve Stiles did the inking on the Heritage page.

The original art to the published asm 100 had no conditon issues!

Under a few stats were glue stains which i got cleaned up, and I put the orignal stats on an acetate overlay as they covered villains which were all drawn under the stats that i wanted to be seen.

no issues! it was a superb cover!

I have a nice image of myself and the great John Romita holding the published cover from back in 2006 or so.

here's the link:

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11686&ArtistId=947&Details=0&From=Room

Mike

ASM 100 recreation over 80k???

Makes me think my actual published ASM 80 cover is too cheap at the 55k I've been trying to get for it.

May have to re think this whole thing. :)

Glen

Well, maybe if you market it as a re-creation you could get $60K for it. ;)

In any case, it wasn't over $80K - it was $77,675. But, still... :insane:

There's a thought. Thanks Gene.

I didn't see the actual results. I thought 77k was without the juice. Like you say, insane either way.

The original art to the published asm 100 had no conditon issues!

Under a few stats were glue stains which i got cleaned up, and I put the orignal stats on an acetate overlay as they covered villains which were all drawn under the stats that i wanted to be seen.

no issues! it was a superb cover!

I have a nice image of myself and the great John Romita holding the published cover from back in 2006 or so.

here's the link:

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11686&ArtistId=947&Details=0&From=Room

Mike

Kingpin and JJJ were stats, Mike?

Love those Barks

I love the yukon pages. those are great. I said in an earlier thread that its from his lesser era (which it is...) but a close look at those pages says this was a great effort for the period. would be nice but 10k+ a piece for panel pages with the ducks is a bit spicy for my taste

I think Back to the Yukon can hold its own among his works. Anyways, Barks' "lesser era" would be a pinnacle for most other artists, and in any event, it's not like there are a whole bunch of other pages available. The fact that there is a complete story here is fantastic.

Love those Barks

I love the yukon pages. those are great. I said in an earlier thread that its from his lesser era (which it is...) but a close look at those pages says this was a great effort for the period. would be nice but 10k+ a piece for panel pages with the ducks is a bit spicy for my taste

I think Back to the Yukon can hold its own among his works. Anyways, Barks' "lesser era" would be a pinnacle for most other artists, and in any event, it's not like there are a whole bunch of other pages available. The fact that there is a complete story here is fantastic.

I have never collected this type of work, but I agree, those pages are fantastic.

romita asm100 recreation is going nuts? somebody explain this to me. I can't understand a price this like on a recreation

+1

Must be a couple of "non-economic" buyers going at it - someone who really loves that image for some reason, has a lot of cash and doesn't care about resale value.

Does anyone know how many recreations John did? I don't think there's any way to get a Romita Sr. pen and ink recreation anymore. You could wave a ton of cash in front of him but it's not going to look like a 1994 recreation I don't think. Maybe the bidders assumed it was a one off never to be re-repeated. lol

Chris, the 1994 Sotheby's Auction that had the Kirby and Romita recreation covers included the following by Romita:

ASM 39, 50, 53, 54, 64, 100, and Daredevil 16.

All were described as Pen and ink on paper (whereas many of the Kirby recreation pieces were pencil only).

-Steve

romita asm100 recreation is going nuts? somebody explain this to me. I can't understand a price this like on a recreation

+1

Must be a couple of "non-economic" buyers going at it - someone who really loves that image for some reason, has a lot of cash and doesn't care about resale value.

Does anyone know how many recreations John did? I don't think there's any way to get a Romita Sr. pen and ink recreation anymore. You could wave a ton of cash in front of him but it's not going to look like a 1994 recreation I don't think. Maybe the bidders assumed it was a one off never to be re-repeated. lol

Chris, the 1994 Sotheby's Auction that had the Kirby and Romita recreation covers included the following by Romita:

ASM 39, 50, 53, 54, 64, 100, and Daredevil 16.

All were described as Pen and ink on paper (whereas many of the Kirby recreation pieces were pencil only).

-Steve

Thanks Steve,

So it looks like there's only one of each then. It would be interesting to see if the 39, or 50, came up for auction what would happen.

I think it's crazy too.

All I can say is the piece was twice up-- the actual 100 cover is small size. And Romita's skill is still at near peal level at the time of this recreation.

Still the auction stuns me.

I think it's crazy too.

All I can say is the piece was twice up-- the actual 100 cover is small size. And Romita's skill is still at near peal level at the time of this recreation.

Still the auction stuns me.

I was also surprised. But having missed the auction itself I saw the figures only later, scrolling through the Heritage site.

I was looking at the sales results arranged with highest price in descending order, so the asm 49 cover was on top, and the asm 100 recreation down the page a bit. which meant that in between the two were several Barks paintings, which, I had to note, were also created as illustration pieces long after the original source material was published.

So, perhaps the collecting mindset behind the asm 100 recreation bids had more in common with those who collect barks ducks paintings than it does with the traditional views in collecting comic art featuring superheroes.