• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage auction today - post your wins, interesting results, notes, comments...

114 posts in this topic

I heard Burkey sold it at San Diego.

Ah, OK...it's still listed on his website for $55K so maybe he forgot to update it.

Maybe he's waiting on the cash to show up.

Romita Sr. ASM 100 recreation - $77,675

Where's the "fainting" emoticon? :o

Not much more than the actual cover sold for a few years ago...

with juice, the recreation sold for 84K

It sold for $65K + the juice = $77,675. You may have been looking at the big red "next bid" display as I sometimes do.

Romita Sr. ASM 100 recreation - $77,675

Where's the "fainting" emoticon? :o

Not much more than the actual cover sold for a few years ago...

with juice, the recreation sold for 84K

It sold for $65K + the juice = $77,675. You may have been looking at the big red "next bid" display as I sometimes do.

You are correct, sir. No less crazy, though :)

I just can't see how someone would have passed on the same original cover and wanted this one.... unless they now have both and cornered the market?

I meant - the actual cover didn't sell for much more a few years ago...

refresh me when / how much? I don't see it in the heritage completed search list so I assume through another house?

that being said, from a review of the heritage archives it seems to me like ditko / romita spidey stuff has been appreciating nicely. spider-man being as hot as he is, it only makes sense. So the real #100 might sell for a fair bit more today depending on how much time hass passed (not that this makes the recreation price any less startling)

refresh me when / how much? I don't see it in the heritage completed search list so I assume through another house?

that being said, from a review of the heritage archives it seems to me like ditko / romita spidey stuff has been appreciating nicely. spider-man being as hot as he is, it only makes sense. So the real #100 might sell for a fair bit more today depending on how much time hass passed (not that this makes the recreation price any less startling)

I believe it was sold out of the collection of an older artist and Spencer Beck handled the sale and took bids on the piece.

The ASM #100 cover didn't sell through Heritage. The details are hazy now but it came up for sale (through Spencer Beck - thanks, Chris) - and then I believe I heard that Burkey wound up with it. This was maybe 2006 or 2007 - it all blurs together over the years. I think it sold around the same time that the FF #100 cover did. I remember the irony of both covers becoming available around the same time. I also remember some criticism on the ASM #100 cover because the cover wasn't in great shape or it was too cluttered or some such nonsense.

Spencer auctioned/sold a few really great pieces during that time period.

The ASM #100 cover didn't sell through Heritage. The details are hazy now but it came up for sale (through Spencer Beck - thanks, Chris) - and then I believe I heard that Burkey wound up with it. This was maybe 2006 or 2007 - it all blurs together over the years. I think it sold around the same time that the FF #100 cover did. I remember the irony of both covers becoming available around the same time. I also remember some criticism on the ASM #100 cover because the cover wasn't in great shape or it was too cluttered or some such nonsense.

Spencer auctioned/sold a few really great pieces during that time period.

Spencer sold it on behalf of the original owner a few years ago. Sold it to Burkey, who put it up for sale on his site shortly after he received it from Spencer.

There were some condition notes which affected the value of the cover.

makes me think the market may have to take a new look on recreations. We have all snubbed our noses cause they arent "real" comic art, and were drawn for a buck years after the fact, and usually are pretty stale being teh work of old men revisiting their youthful talents.

But, in time, could these be viable collectibles? I mean, they were drawn BY the same artists OF key comic images. In essence they ARE pieces created the artists arent they? By hand, to the best of their abilities at the time.

Certainly the BEST recreated work might have an collector base. Heritage took pains to state the incredible detail by Jazzy here.

If it sounds like Im defending this, no way. Just asking if a new trend MIGHT be developing here. Probably just two very eager Romita fans.

I seriously doubt it's a trend -- would want to see at least a second data point before coming to that conclusion. :baiting:

I do think recreations could be become more valuable for certain artists where limited amount of their output survives.

trend.jpg

I didn't MANNUP enough :cry:

I went toe to toe with a bidder for an Ingels page with a host on it, but let go at $2K , with the juice kinda high for an Ingels panel page.

Also barely lost the Bernie Krigstein 3-page lot :cry:

But I did manage to snag a nice Ingels page from Tales From the Crypt #41 :D

Too bad about the Krigstein. Those were some sweet pages and I was curious as to what they would go for.

I'm sure you'll be happy with that Ingels. :applause:

makes me think the market may have to take a new look on recreations. We have all snubbed our noses cause they arent "real" comic art, and were drawn for a buck years after the fact, and usually are pretty stale being teh work of old men revisiting their youthful talents.

But, in time, could these be viable collectibles? I mean, they were drawn BY the same artists OF key comic images. In essence they ARE pieces created the artists arent they? By hand, to the best of their abilities at the time.

Certainly the BEST recreated work might have an collector base. Heritage took pains to state the incredible detail by Jazzy here.

If it sounds like Im defending this, no way. Just asking if a new trend MIGHT be developing here. Probably just two very eager Romita fans.

I seriously doubt it's a trend -- would want to see at least a second data point before coming to that conclusion. :baiting:

I do think recreations could be become more valuable for certain artists where limited amount of their output survives.

trend.jpg

lol that's awesome lol

ASM 100 recreation over 80k???

Makes me think my actual published ASM 80 cover is too cheap at the 55k I've been trying to get for it.

May have to re think this whole thing. :)

Glen

Well, maybe if you market it as a re-creation you could get $60K for it. ;)

In any case, it wasn't over $80K - it was $77,675. But, still... :insane: