• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weirdest place you obtained a comic?

32 posts in this topic

Many years ago, my parents bought a house in the west end of Edmonton Alberta Canada.

It was definitely a fixer upper, but my Dad was a carpenter so he was more than capable. I remember a day he was ripping down an interior wall and he asked me to help him by cleaning up the garbage. He took a pry bar to the wall and it came down in pieces. Inside between the walls was tons of paper items; newsprint, magazines, and yes COMICS!

Most were beat but I did pull a Batman #2 from the pile.

I guess in old days it was not uncommon to insulate/ sound proof with whatever was available...including paper.

Anyone else found / obtained comics in a weird place?

I was once driving through Beaumont Texas and stopped at a Whataburger a few miles out of town. As I entered I was approached by a strange older fellow who said he was a lawyer from Lafayette Louisiana and would I like to swap some comics? I figured he knew I was a comic guy from the Bedrock City bumper sticker on the car. This uncouth fast talking lawyer practically yelled out, "Well geek, I have been waiting for a 5.0 copy of Fantastic Comics #3!" As unbelievable as it might seem I just happened to have a Fantastic Comics #3 with me. What's even more incredible is this unkempt loon actually had some taste!?! Yes, he had a Marvel 28 in very high grade! We did the deal over much blustering and posturing. And then the poor traveller actually convinced me (it must have been the lawyer talk) to buy him a malt. To this day I still don't believe it.

I was once driving through Beaumont Texas and stopped at a Whataburger a few miles out of town. As I entered I was approached by a strange older fellow who said he was a lawyer from Lafayette Louisiana and would I like to swap some comics? Well I just happened to have a Fantastic Comics #3 with me. Amazingly he had a Marvel 28 in very high grade!. We did the deal and then the poor traveller actually convinced me (it must have been the lawyer talk) to buy him a malt. To this day I still don't believe it.

How did he know you had comics with you? Malts just scream lawyer......

I was once driving through Beaumont Texas and stopped at a Whataburger a few miles out of town. As I entered I was approached by a strange older fellow who said he was a lawyer from Lafayette Louisiana and would I like to swap some comics? Well I just happened to have a Fantastic Comics #3 with me. Amazingly he had a Marvel 28 in very high grade!. We did the deal and then the poor traveller actually convinced me (it must have been the lawyer talk) to buy him a malt. To this day I still don't believe it.

Edited for "The rest of the story..."

I was once driving through Beaumont Texas and stopped at a Whataburger a few miles out of town. As I entered I was approached by a strange older fellow who said he was a lawyer from Lafayette Louisiana and would I like to swap some comics? I figured he knew I was a comic guy from the Bedrock City bumper sticker on the car. This uncouth fast talking lawyer practically yelled out, "Well geek, I have been waiting for a 5.0 copy of Fantastic Comics #3!" As unbelievable as it might seem I just happened to have a Fantastic Comics #3 with me. What's even more incredible is this unkempt loon actually had some taste!?! Yes, he had a Marvel 28 in very high grade! We did the deal over much blustering and posturing. And then the poor traveller actually convinced me (it must have been the lawyer talk) to buy him a malt. To this day I still don't believe it.

:signfunny:

Thanks. You have a bumpersticker?

Thanks. You have a bumpersticker?

bedrockbumpersticker 001.jpg

hm ...only if they'e single. :grin:

is anyone really surprised he sprung for only a small malt.

is anyone really surprised he sprung for only a small malt.

There you go, always wanting more, more, more doh!

At the departure gate of Houston International Airport.

That was second on my "weird place" list. That dude was an odd bird. He traded two for one. And he threw in a freebie!

That was second on my "weird place" list. That dude was an odd bird. He traded two for one. And he threw in a freebie!

Definitely weird. But not old and creepy like Whataburger dude.

Story will be up later in the heart warming thread.

Many years ago, my parents bought a house in the west end of Edmonton Alberta Canada.

It was definitely a fixer upper, but my Dad was a carpenter so he was more than capable. I remember a day he was ripping down an interior wall and he asked me to help him by cleaning up the garbage. He took a pry bar to the wall and it came down in pieces. Inside between the walls was tons of paper items; newsprint, magazines, and yes COMICS!

I knew someone who stumbled across a fantastic batch of mid to late-50's era books under similar circumstances about 20-25 years ago. All the big DC keys were there, the Atlas superhero revival books, etc, in decent midgrade shape.