• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your top 10 GA artists? How do they fit into your all time list?
1 1

77 posts in this topic

Intermission Time! Go grab some popcorn (thumbs u

And while we are waiting for the next batch of Top-Ten lists sit back and enjoy...

Ten Frazetta Covers

Now, On with the show...

:o(worship):applause:

But where's Buster Crabbe #5? (shrug)

I don't have one. That book is a little tough to find in grade. Besides Alanna had already posted a pretty one.

Alanna's books are (worship) and yes his Crabbe #5 is Very Nice! I love that book.

A couple of books on my infinite want list are Buster Crabbe 5 and Beware 10. Unfortunately I don't think a nice copy of the Beware will pop up any time soon.

I used to own a vg copy and that's still the nicest copy I've ever seen! A truly tough book.

Doesn't Billy have a copy?

And Michael and Richard - even without that book, your books are still (worship)

That short interlude was ludicrous. :sumo:

Ludicrously fantastic!!! (worship)

Intermission Time! Go grab some popcorn (thumbs u

And while we are waiting for the next batch of Top-Ten lists sit back and enjoy...

Ten Frazetta Covers

Now, On with the show...

:o(worship):applause:

But where's Buster Crabbe #5? (shrug)

I don't have one. That book is a little tough to find in grade. Besides Alanna had already posted a pretty one.

Alanna's books are (worship) and yes his Crabbe #5 is Very Nice! I love that book.

A couple of books on my infinite want list are Buster Crabbe 5 and Beware 10. Unfortunately I don't think a nice copy of the Beware will pop up any time soon.

I used to own a vg copy and that's still the nicest copy I've ever seen! A truly tough book.

Doesn't Billy have a copy?

he does.

beware10.jpg

Syndicated Strip Artists, in approx order starting with my most favorite.

Winsor McKay

Hal Foster

Alex Raymond

Lionel Feininger

Will Eisner

Frank King

George Herriman

Noel Sickles/Milt Caniff

Roy Crane

It's too tough to put these in order...

Steranko

Raboy

John Buscema

L.B. Cole

Briefer

Wolverton

Jack Cole

Schomburg

Jerome Rozen

Winsor McKay

Krigstein

Edited by *paull*

I can't pick only ten. But I have to mention Walt Kelly as one of my ten finalists.

I go Pogo (thumbs u

In order to contribute to this thread I'll have to narrow my list to just comic books produced during the GA; more specifically, limiting it to art created during the years 1938-1949! Otherwise, I'd have to exclude a number of highly regarded Atomic Age illustrators (1949-1954), painters (pulp cover artists) and newspaper comic strip artists.

My list (no particular order):

Basil Wolverton

Reed Crandall

Mac Raboy

Jack Kirby

Matt Baker

Lou Fine

Jack Cole

LB Cole

Irv Novick

Alex Schomburg

There are so many great artists that I'm leaving off of this list that I find the exercise of categorizing any of them to be pointless, but these guys stand out more often than not when contemplating the top illustrators of the day, so there you have it.

Now, having separated the GA by two distinct periods (WWII era & Atomic) and several pages, here would be my picks-of-the-moment for top comic book artists of the pre-code 50's (again, no particular order)...

Al Williamson

Frank Frazetta

Joe Maneely

Bill Everett

Graham Ingles

Wally Wood

Basil Wolverton

Steve Ditko

Bill Elder

Jack Davis

I left out Bill Everett in my first listing because I felt that his artistic style matured greatly in the late 40's and 50's, and I included Basil Wolverton in both lists purely because of the consistency and uniqueness of his style.

Of course a number of these artists produced comic work in both GA periods, but each artist develops their own signature style at a different pace. (my 2c )

Is this the Buster Crabbe 5 thread? My keeper box of comics is less than a short box, but this is still in it.

bustercrabbe5.jpg

That's a pretty copy!

My top 10:

Frazetta

Williamson

Lou Fine

Raymond

Wood

Schomburg

Crandall

Raboy

Jerry Robinson

Kubert

Honorable mention to Bob Kane/Sheldon Moldoff(for their work on the early Batman, Shelly for his Hawkman work), Eisner, all of the EC greats like Craig, Ingels, Davis and Evans, Everett, Harry Thomas, etc.

And if this list included later artists, surely Neal Adams would be near the top for me.

Frazetta

Fine

Eisner

Everett

Kirby (& Simon)

Moldoff

Jack Cole

Wolverton

Walt Kelly

LB Cole or Wally Wood or Raboy or Barks(that's tough)

I would put strip artists on a separate list, since many of them never really did much comic book art

Raymond

McCay

Opper

Herrimann

Foster

Hogarth

Outcault

Walt Kelly (okay, he did both)

McManus

Sterrett or Fisher or Capp or Frank King or Rube (can it be a bigger list?)