• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's Baltimore Con Report

30 posts in this topic

Another year, another Baltimore con gone by. Baltimore remains one of my favorite shows and this year was no different. Baltimore is certainly not as stressful a show as Chicago is with all the running around and trying to buy and compete with everyone for books.

It's also in my backyard, so it becomes a much easier trip back and forth every day to the con instead of in a hotel.

Here are some highlights... from the con:

Prologue: Exhausting week traveling. Terrible flight in from Atlanta and didn't get in until 1:45 AM on Friday. Had to be at the office the next day at 8 AM. Won't get into details, but not a fun morning. Con would be a welcome distraction.

Friday:

Went to the show around 12:30 PM, had lunch with Bob Siman, hit the con floor at 2 PM. Ran around, saw some books from Dave Kapelka, but wasn't able to get anything from him this time, but it was always nice to see the books. Next wandered over to Joe Verenault's booth, saw about 4 new magazine boxes of stuff. Bought some good stuff (see the next post for purchase high lights). Continued to wander around, looked through some of Dennis Keum's stuff, had some nice books.

After going from booth to booth, I saw lots of great books, but after buying the stack from Joe's booth, I decided to take a breather and wait.

Organized a group for dinner at Fogo de Chao including Mary Ann, her boyfriend Scott, Bob Storms, Bob Siman, Jeff (hotflips), Charles (hotflips), Roy, Louise, Tom Nelson, Dave Miller, Greg Reece and his son Austin. Had a great time, obviously tons of meat, and just a great fun time. Felt drained and exhausted. Priced up some books that I left with Marc Nathan's booth, as he wanted some additional Silver Age for the wall. Slept.

Saturday:

Got up at 6:30 AM. Hung out with my boy. Left around 7:45 AM, got to the show a little after 8 AM. Ran around wandering the floor, and it was absolutely packed in there by 10 AM when they opened the doors. I only have two con photos I stole off the Con's Facebook site. This is one of the best costumes I've ever seen at any convention anywhere.

mrfreezebmore.jpg

There were a lot of cute girls walking around, but for whatever reason, I thought the girl on the left in this pic was super cute and I was into her look. The one on the right is good too, with a good costume.

baltimoreconphoto1.jpg

Bought some stuff from Terry O'Neill, dug through some more boxes, and then got an unexpected call from my boss, who's one of the name partners in the firm.

He wanted to see what the Baltimore Con was all about, so I borrowed a badge from Terry O'Neill and got him in. Wandered around through all of artist's alley, and my friend Dave Miller played a lot of the background tour guide. I basically took him around while he stared in at the world of comic geekdom. He was fascinated with many aspects of it.

Went to lunch with a group that included my boss, Bob Siman, Dave Miller, his friend Steve, and Chris Cormier.

Hung out most of the afternoon at Bob Storms' booth. Very busy on the floor. Met brodie91 (Anthony) -- cool guy. He bought a book from me.

Had a great time at dinner with Ben Lichtenstein, his helper Paul, Dennis Keum, Joe Verenault, his helper Mike, Jeff, Andre (Beachbum), and Dave Miller at Obrycki's, one of my favorite crab places here. Lots of laughs.

Sunday:

Got to the show around 9 AM. Bought more stuff. Great buys at Harley's booth and with Ted VanLiew. Finally picked up some great Toon Tumblers and a couple of other knick knacks. Did a fun trade with Dale Roberts. Bought some random books.

Went to lunch with Zuckuss, had a great time.

Got back, my buys at Harley's basically took the remainder of the time to go through. Wish I had done it sooner. His nephew Jason was a pretty cool guy to chat with as well.

Left in the pouring rain at 3:00 PM.

As always, completely fun show. Baltimore is a great show, but not for the killer uber high grade new collection. Lots of great, steady bargains. Incredible show for that stuff. Sold a bunch of books at the show I didn't think I would have time to sell -- they moved -- gave deals out, got good deals in return all weekend.

Tons of new stuff now raw, more books that need to be graded.

Saw lots of boardies. Fun chatting with all of them including Timmay, silverandbronze, joeypost, mcmiles etc.

I'll be glad to take a break from comics for awhile now. Plenty of material, less desire to buy for awhile. Of course, by the end of the week, I'll be back in the swing I guess.

A small sampling of purchases...

From Joe V.

ASM121a.jpg

ASM45.jpg

planet58.jpg

planet71-1.jpg

From trade from Dale... this book is one of the most perfect comic books I've ever seen. I bought it for that reason only...

panh108.jpg

Cool buys from Terry included...

BB28-1.jpg

xmen54.jpg

Ted provided another of my favorite buys of the con...

TLS27.jpg

And a short stack of beauties that included this book...

FF23-1.jpg

and finally, some great books courtesy of Harley...

GL8.jpg

GL18.jpg

ASM121b.jpg

ASM73.jpg

DD16-1.jpg

From trade from Dale... this book is one of the most perfect comic books I've ever seen. I bought it for that reason only...

panh108.jpg

Great books Brian. I think this particular issue of P&H was a warehouse find. I have seen it quite often in file copy shape. I also buy books I wouldn't normally buy because of the condition. Just an offshoot of being a collector first.

panh108.jpg

Great books Brian. I think this particular issue of P&H was a warehouse find. I have seen it quite often in file copy shape. I also buy books I wouldn't normally buy because of the condition. Just an offshoot of being a collector first.

I looked at that book and thought about buying it for the same reason.

Great to see you again Brian.

See, I was at B'More this year. :cool:

mrfreezebmore.jpg

At the risk of sounding ghey, that guy has some serious legs going on.

I used to follow body building and was always amazing at how little time and effort was spent by bodybuilders on making their bodies proportional. Rather, most guys just tend to want to build arms and chest and do no leg work.

Pretty impressive.

Great report!

How'd your boss like the show? What was a non-collector's impression?

Great deals at Harley's booth??

My boss was fascinated with the show... loved the costumes, and blown away with the prices for some of the books. He knows that I buy and sell some expensive books, but when he went by Storms' booth, he was truly amazed.

Yes, Harley had 40% off of his boxes and some cool books behind the booth. I had a tremendous buying show, it just wasn't runs of ASM 1-20 in 9.4

Storms picked up some uber cool high grade early sci fi DCs and some sweet books from Kapelka.

If there's one thing I realize at these shows, they are work. You better run around and dig if you want to find the buys. I watched Harley in Chicago and realized I need to up my game.

panh108.jpg

I looked at that book and thought about buying it for the same reason.

Great to see you again Brian.

There was another that was even better that I also picked up... this one has a tiny water stain on the back cover, super light but otherwise a ridiculous book. The other one was just as nice, no stain, and just as perfect.

I thought the scuba cover was cool, but honestly, you just marvel some times at the color and gloss, I could care less about whether the book was "worth it". It also helped that I traded with Dale for two GA Wonder Womans I had $20 a piece into.

I went to Fogo last week with my mom. So delicious!

I know both of those girls. The one on the left, Toni, is a good friend of mine!

I'm sorry I didn't see you or get to talk to you at the con, I think I spotted you once but I was racing one way and you the other.

I think in all the cons I've gone to over the past 15 years, only a handful of girls have caught my attention to the point I'd actually mention it to someone or in a con report. Your friend Toni has a really cool and unique beauty to her, and I think the picture doesn't do her justice.

Great report!

My boss was fascinated with the show... loved the costumes, and blown away with the prices for some of the books. He knows that I buy and sell some expensive books, but when he went by Storms' booth, he was truly amazed.

It was very interesting talking to him on Sat. I've always wondered what an outsider thought, aside from surprise and/or disbelief. He asked a lot of insightful questions about the show, books, and licensing. Hope he had a good time.

Great report!

It was very interesting talking to him on Sat. I've always wondered what an outsider thought, aside from surprise and/or disbelief. He asked a lot of insightful questions about the show, books, and licensing. Hope he had a good time.

How were the Stan Lee glasses sales?