• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you read the letter pages?

36 posts in this topic

I always read the letters pages. Always enjoy finding a name I recognize that went on to become a comic creator or well known in the comics field.

Enjoy coming across those, too. Does give a sense of community. Seems like I saw more creators letters in SA DC books.

TM Maple had a letter in every second column.

As an 11 year old, reading the letters always made me long to read the stories the letters referenced. This was long before I discovered comic stores or back issues.

I always read the letters pages. Always enjoy finding a name I recognize that went on to become a comic creator or well known in the comics field.

Enjoy coming across those, too. Does give a sense of community. Seems like I saw more creators letters in SA DC books.

TM Maple had a letter in every second column.

As an 11 year old, reading the letters always made me long to read the stories the letters referenced. This was long before I discovered comic stores or back issues.

The Mad Maple had over 3,000 letters published. I'm guessing former DC editor Bob Rozakis might have the second most, but he was almost exclusively a DC letter writer. Maple wrote to any and every one. I often wondered if he got free comics from the publishers.

Anyone know what happened to the letter writer Schroeder III ? He had a lot of letters published in Superman 1978/79 and even got a credit in Superman 330. He ended up marrying a fellow female letter writer.

Best letters page of all has got to be MAD magazine during they early 60's. Just hilarious stuff.....

Now I'm gonna have to dig some out, scan and post them up. (thumbs u

Best letters page of all has got to be MAD magazine during they early 60's. Just hilarious stuff.....

The Groo Letters pages were brilliant wordplay and laugh out loud funny.

Mike, you should check out the letter pages in Viz Comic (UK version). lol

Anyone know what happened to the letter writer Schroeder III ? He had a lot of letters published in Superman 1978/79 and even got a credit in Superman 330. He ended up marrying a fellow female letter writer.

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/lowdown/p/detail/the-flickering-mind-of-al-schroeder-iii

Here's a website with some fan letters to read again.

Dear Editor

I think most of us remember T. M. Maple, and there's his British equivalent, the prolific Dale Coe, but how could I possibly have forgotten someone with a name as memorable as Kent A. Phenis? hm

Letter pages are great reads especially in silver-age comics. There just something about it. :cloud9:

Does anyone here have a letter entry in a comic somewhere?

I wished I did...

CAL who missed out on that...