• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you read the letter pages?

36 posts in this topic

Hi all,

The main reason why I prefer comics instead of TPBs is the letter pages. Especially when I read older comics - I get an idea about the political environment, readers preferences and predjudices etc.

I also gain some feeling that I am part of a community or a club member :headbang:

Some of the current best authors and editors are a long time comic fans and in fact have been made their first contirbution to the medium exactly through the letter pages.

I'm currently reading the Cerebus TPBs, and wish they had included the letter pages. I can't think of a comic with better letter pages than Cerebus. They was off da hook. I know quite a few people who read them before they read the actual story. I'd buy a TPB of Cerebus letter pages.

I'm currently reading the Cerebus TPBs, and wish they had included the letter pages. I can't think of a comic with better letter pages than Cerebus. They was off da hook. I know quite a few people who read them before they read the actual story. I'd buy a TPB of Cerebus letter pages.

I believe there are now two volumes.

Collected Letters

I don't have these yet, but this one got a good review on Amazon:

If you're interested in the man behind the Aardvark, you'll like this..., January 24, 2007

By Bobby.N (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Dave Sim Collected Letters 2004 (Cerebus) (Cerebus) (Paperback)

Many readers of Dave's monthly comicbook 'Cerebus' would, like myself, automatically flip to the 'Letters' page at the back to get a 'personal' fix of Dave's thoughts & correspondence.

That's what this huge volume is.

If you know what 'Letters from the President' was (and liked it), then you'll enjoy this thoroughly.

114974.jpg.68a4600ba12529b073f0703d70841b0c.jpg

Collected Letters

If you're interested in the man behind the Aardvark, you'll like this..., January 24, 2007

This review is from: Dave Sim Collected Letters 2004 (Cerebus) (Cerebus) (Paperback)

Many readers of Dave's monthly comicbook 'Cerebus' would, like myself, automatically flip to the 'Letters' page at the back to get a 'personal' fix of Dave's thoughts & correspondence.

If you know what 'Letters from the President' was (and liked it), then you'll enjoy this thoroughly.

Kool and Da Gang :banana:

I'll have to get this. I just finished volumes 1 and 2( issues 1-51) and have 4 thru 7 but am still looking for a volume 3. I stopped reading Cerebus around 170. I piucked up an issue a few years later and was hopelessly lost.

I came here to post this.

I've got and read his collected letters trade (the first one, need the second). my Cerebus trades would be complete with one trade of all the letters pages and one trade of all the covers.

make it so, sim.

Collected Letters

Yep, I have and have read this.

It really helps understand the mind of the writer, especially the later much more religious and dense volumes.

I need to get the second one.

I always read the letters pages. Always enjoy finding a name I recognize that went on to become a comic creator or well known in the comics field.

Enjoy coming across those, too. Does give a sense of community. Seems like I saw more creators letters in SA DC books.

Love the letter pages!! In the modern comics I read, the only 3 books that had letter pages until just recently were Conan, Invincible and ASM. To me it is an integral part of the comic and was unhappy when they disappeared from most comics several years ago. Glad to see DC/Vertigo bringing back the letter pages recently. Fables having one was a no brainer.