• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who would you prefer to press a higher dollar book

30 posts in this topic

There are several well known choices

Susan

Matt

Joey

Tracey

Who would you prefer to do a high dollar book (5K+) and has anyone had any books done by Susan. I am just talking about pressing no resto work.

I have used everyone but Susan as until recently I don't think she offered a press only service, so I woul dlike to hear from anyone that had her only do a press. You can pm me or post here.

Thanks

James G

I've only pressed 2 books, both keepers for my collection, and Joey did both of them.

One got bumped from 8.0 to 8.5 and the other from 9.4 to 9.8 :banana:

Joey is THE MAN in my book (thumbs u

How does that work? Do you have to send in the book(s) or would HD pics suffice to tell if a book is a good candidate or not ?

Are books in the old CGC label the best candidates since the likelihood of a prior press is minute ?

I have 2 books that would LOVE to see bumped as they would make Highest Certified. These books are impossible to find. :(

Would also like to hear opinions (if possible) from the choices in the OP :wishluck:

it is hard to tell if a book can be improve without having the book in hand and/or call for notes.

sometimes a hidden flaw (tear(s) on interior pages) can knock a book down and even when all the rest can be fix with a press, the book won't get a bump in grade.

If you send big scans of the book along with the cert#, I think most can make an educated guess if an improvement is possible.

Would also like to hear opinions (if possible) from the choices in the OP :wishluck:

it is hard to tell if a book can be improve without having the book in hand and/or call for notes.

sometimes a hidden flaw (tear(s) on interior pages) can knock a book down and even when all the rest can be fix with a press, the book won't get a bump in grade.

If you send big scans of the book along with the cert#, I think most can make an educated guess if an improvement is possible.

Thank you. I will ! (thumbs u

Seeing as how joeypost is an excellent reference, I'll PM him.

Who would you prefer to do a high dollar book (5K+) and has anyone had any books done by Susan. I am just talking about pressing no resto work.

I have used everyone but Susan as until recently I don't think she offered a press only service, so I woul dlike to hear from anyone that had her only do a press. You can pm me or post here.

Thanks

James G

Matt

Thanks

James G

Matt

Absolutely Matt Nelson. I am surprised it took until you, Bob, for him to get a single vote.

Matt is the best at pressing. Full stop.

Thanks

James G

Matt

Absolutely Matt Nelson. I am surprised it took until you, Bob, for him to get a single vote.

I think it depends on what you are having pressed. My experience is that Matt is fantastic if you have an extremely high value book. Also, just on aesthetic grounds, I love how he presses a book. No color bleed or any other problems that you see in a poorly pressed book.

On lower value stuff, I don't think he (or whoever presses for him) puts forth the same effort or level of interest. I've consistently had lower value books pressed by him come back with no bump up at all. Then, after dumping them on Comiclink, watched them be snapped up, re-pressed, re-graded up, and sold for a profit.

[i don't know who re-pressed the books but the edges are always razor sharp. I once saw a post long ago on how to do this that was quite interesting......and also very obviously quite time consuming.]

The last auction was particularly bad as I watched two of my former books -- both pressed by Matt and both sold at a loss after no bump whatsoever (not even one grader going up) -- re-appear re-pressed (one a 7.5 bumped up to a 8.0 and the other a 9.4 bumped up to 9.8) and make their new owners 3 grand.

By the way, what's Joey Post's handle on the boards? I am assuming that he was the presser.

If I was going to get a book pressed, I would have Joey do it, no matter what the value of the book is.

+1

I send Joey all kinds of books from moderns to higher valued GA. Never disappointed with his tender caressing of my books. And he's a heck of nice guy to boot.

If I was going to get a book pressed, I would have Joey do it, no matter what the value of the book is.

+1

I send Joey all kinds of books from moderns to higher valued GA. Never disappointed with his tender caressing of my books. And he's a heck of nice guy to boot.

+2 Joey takes care of all my pressing needs.

Thanks

James G

Matt

I think it depends on what you are having pressed. My experience is that Matt is fantastic if you have an extremely high value book. Also, just on aesthetic grounds, I love how he presses a book. No color bleed or any other problems that you see in a poorly pressed book.

On lower value stuff, I don't think he (or whoever presses for him) puts forth the same effort or level of interest. I've consistently had lower value books pressed by him come back with no bump up at all. Then, after dumping them on Comiclink, watched them be snapped up, re-pressed, re-graded up, and sold for a profit.

[i don't know who re-pressed the books but the edges are always razor sharp. I once saw a post long ago on how to do this that was quite interesting......and also very obviously quite time consuming.]

The last auction was particularly bad as I watched two of my former books -- both pressed by Matt and both sold at a loss after no bump whatsoever (not even one grader going up) -- re-appear re-pressed (one a 7.5 bumped up to a 8.0 and the other a 9.4 bumped up to 9.8) and make their new owners 3 grand.

By the way, what's Joey Post's handle on the boards? I am assuming that he was the presser.

:gossip: It's joeypost. He's CFP Comics.

Thanks

James G

Matt

I would like to address this, as it seems to come up since I have people working for me. No book leaves my office without my final evaluation to make sure everything has been taken care of. I handle the detailed work on each book. My quality control is extremely tight, so no one should ever have to worry about books going out that have either not been fully pressed, or badly pressed. My turn times may sometimes be longer, but I'll never compromise the grade of a book. In fact, if there is ever a delay, it is because of this.

I would be interested to hear about the two books that didn't go up though, either here or privately. While there are a few non-pressing factors that could contribute to that situation, like variances in CGC grading, I do take them very seriously.