• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Labels

38 posts in this topic

So just a couple of quick questions I thought would make for a nice discussion.

1) Is there a premium for newer CGC slabbed labels compared to the older ones? If so, why is that? Do you honestly care what kind of label is on the slab as long as its universal?

2) When will CGC be upgrading to their next label design? Is it really every 10 years?

GO!

Guest Grails

A premium should go to the older labels before the newer ones. It is generally thought that the grading was tighter in the early days of CGC and thus old label slabbed books may have greater upgrade potential upon resub today.

A premium should go to the older labels before the newer ones. It is generally thought that the grading was tighter in the early days of CGC and thus old label slabbed books may have greater upgrade potential upon resub today.

I've got a CGC 8.5 slabbed in June 2000 that I'm sure would be a 10.2 if I resub. (thumbs u

You had better check the scans closely because of the possibility of SCS.

I've personally seen as many overgraded old label books as I have under graded ones.

I just think it's another case of the "good ole days" creeping into urban myth.

So just a couple of quick questions I thought would make for a nice discussion.

1) Is there a premium for newer CGC slabbed labels compared to the older ones? If so, why is that? Do you honestly care what kind of label is on the slab as long as its universal?

2) When will CGC be upgrading to their next label design? Is it really every 10 years?

GO!

Some people prefer new labels, some people old ones. There is no "gold standard".

CGC will update their label design when they think they need to.

Your turn!

:grin:

This is believed to be true especially with regard to paper quality. Though I remember some past discussion of this where members chimed in with their own experiences and it seemed that books stayed the same or went down as much as they went up.

Some people preferred the new labels so that all the books in their collection had the same appearance and others preferred the new labels because you can see the numerical grade from a distance.

Others noted that they missed the descriptive grade (e.g., VG, VF+, NM) that used to accompany the numerical grade on the old labels.

Perhaps most telling was the warning that the longer a book has been in a slab the greater the chances of Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS) if mishandled.

I've got a CGC 8.5 slabbed in June 2000 that I'm sure would be a 10.2 if I resub. (thumbs u

lol no..probably 10.3!!!

I've personally seen as many overgraded old label books as I have under graded ones.

Me too. Same with the new label books. I think you only get a true feel for that when you're actively cracking books out too - you can hide a lot of damage in a slab.

I tend to agree.

This is believed to be true especially with regard to paper quality. Though I remember some past discussion of this where members chimed in with their own experiences and it seemed that books stayed the same or went down as much as they went up.

Every single old label book with C-OW pages that I have ever resubbed came back as OW.

Every single old label book with C-OW pages that I have ever resubbed came back as OW.

Alot of the 9.4 books you've been posting over in the SA thread look like 9.6+ stunners compared to recently graded books.

I have resubbed 5 old labeled books and all 5 came back same grade and pq...

i gave my brother a SS 4 that i bought from PCE that was graded 92 by them, CGC graded it a CGC 8.5 OW pages back in '01. my brother resubmitted it at the wizard anaheim show and it came back CGC 8.5 OW/W pages. so same grade, but a PQ bump. and i agree that most books with CR/OW pages in old labels will get a bump in PQ. i gave my brother a thor 193 CGC 9.2 CR/OW old label, but he didn't resubmit it for a PQ bump.