• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Labels

38 posts in this topic

I don't care about the label. I like the new case and insert design that holds the comic to some extent. The old case let the comics move around and thus SCS.

It stinks when you buy a 9.2 in an old label and case and it has SCS.

I remember the outcry on these boards the day that CGC switched to the new label.

It was like a room full of 5 year olds laying in the floor, screaming and kicking.

Good times... :whee:

I remember the outcry on these boards the day that CGC switched to the new label.

It was like a room full of 5 year olds laying in the floor, screaming and kicking.

Good times... :whee:

it still is. nothings changed. :baiting:

This is the first my newb arse has heard of SCS :o

Better go look at my old lables closer :eek:

Shaken case syndrome. (shrug)

I don't care about the label, just how the book looks in respect to each label.

I would only resub If I think it could bump a grade.

it happens. i gave a TOS 49 CGC 7.5 LT/OW pages for a label change, harshen called me and said that CGC is going to have to buy the book back. the book was no longer in 7.5, so we worked something out and CGC replaced it with another TOS 49 CGC 7.5 but with OW/W pages.

TalesOfSuspense_49.jpg

you can see it on the BC scan.

TalesOfSuspense_049_bk.jpg

tos49.jpg

Crazy someone would take their book and shake it just because it's encased :insane:

Or is it because they were encased so loosely that it happened just from repeated handling?

it happens. i gave a TOS 49 CGC 7.5 LT/OW pages for a label change, harshen called me and said that CGC is going to have to buy the book back. the book was no longer in 7.5, so we worked something out and CGC replaced it with another TOS 49 CGC 7.5 but with OW/W pages.

That it an amazing story. You have to give kudos to CGC on this one.

Above and beyond customer service.

Crazy someone would take their book and shake it just because it's encased :insane:

Or is it because they were encased so loosely that it happened just from repeated handling?

Usually from shipping.

I wonder why they'd do that.

The book could have been dropped by anybody and that is no fault of theirs.

The CGC holder is not bomb proof to avoid insufficiently_thoughtful_persons from damaging their books. It's meant to protect the book under normal handling conditions.

If someone packages improperly or handles improperly that's no fault of CGC's.

Usually from shipping.

Oh wow, not that would suk!

That's somewhat true Roy.

SCS can happen just by normal handling and not dropping. Normal shipping can cause it too.

To some extent CGC should be responsible if a comic can easily shift up and down just by turning a case upside down.

SCS is not rare...I've seen plenty of it and not all would have been mishandled.

Just my opinion.

That it an amazing story. You have to give kudos to CGC on this one.

Above and beyond customer service.

i give hella kudos to harshen for handling it for me, i didn't need the CGC credit for submissions, obviously i'd rather have the book. (thumbs u

A premium should go to the older labels before the newer ones. It is generally thought that the grading was tighter in the early days of CGC and thus old label slabbed books may have greater upgrade potential upon resub today.

This is believed to be true especially with regard to paper quality. Though I remember some past discussion of this where members chimed in with their own experiences and it seemed that books stayed the same or went down as much as they went up.

Every single old label book with C-OW pages that I have ever resubbed came back as OW.

Alot of the 9.4 books you've been posting over in the SA thread look like 9.6+ stunners compared to recently graded books.

I think so too. My general reaction these days when I see 9.4s that were graded in recent years has been "WTF?"

I wonder why they'd do that.

The book could have been dropped by anybody and that is no fault of theirs.

The CGC holder is not bomb proof to avoid insufficiently_thoughtful_persons from damaging their books. It's meant to protect the book under normal handling conditions.

If someone packages improperly or handles improperly that's no fault of CGC's.

It's called going above and beyond on customer service. :gossip:

I'll relate a similar story in my thread in the SA Forum when I get to Flash 127. Not related to SCS but something that happened as a result of a problem with the case and how CGC and Steve Borock made good, without a moment's hesitation.

I have lots of criticisms of CGC, but their customer service has always been first rate in my experience.

A premium should go to the older labels before the newer ones. It is generally thought that the grading was tighter in the early days of CGC and thus old label slabbed books may have greater upgrade potential upon resub today.

This is believed to be true especially with regard to paper quality. Though I remember some past discussion of this where members chimed in with their own experiences and it seemed that books stayed the same or went down as much as they went up.

Every single old label book with C-OW pages that I have ever resubbed came back as OW.

Alot of the 9.4 books you've been posting over in the SA thread look like 9.6+ stunners compared to recently graded books.

I think so too. My general reaction these days when I see 9.4s that were graded in recent years has been "WTF?"

Nothing new here as CGC seems to have had a slight consistency problem with their grading right from the get go. The only thing that is consistent is their apparent inconsistency sometimes.

Sometimes it almost makes you wonder if this almost shifting trend in grading and PQ determination is actually done intentionally in order to encourage more resubmissions. Personally, I strongly doubt this as I believe grading is really more of an art as opposed to a science, especially when we are dealing with human graders instead of robot graders.