• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JLA #1

36 posts in this topic

I gave in and bought/read the new JLA book and I must admit it was pretty interesting. That said why does it take place 'five years in the past'? Is it safe to assume that in the new DC Universe Batman has been around a mere five years?

I gave in and bought/read the new JLA book and I must admit it was pretty interesting. That said why does it take place 'five years in the past'? Is it safe to assume that in the new DC Universe Batman has been around a mere five years?

I "hope" so. If they are going to do a reboot of the franchise, then just go out 100% so new readers REALLY WILL be introduced to the characters for the FIRST time.

I'm not debating on whether this launch should have happened in the first place. I'm just saying that with the launch now in effect, handle it legitimately.

After all, isn't the reason for this to handle all the continuity problems and get back to just good, solid reads?

I guess we'll start to find out next week, but maybe it's a having your cake & eating it too thing: we get to see the formation of the DCnU JLA for the first time "five years ago," but some books (like Geoff Johns' Green Lantern) get to more-or-less continue existing storylines in the "present day." Not as clean a break with the past as we might have thought, but it could be a way to keep some of us old-timers reading the new stuff.

For example, I was planning on dropping GL and the rest, and just following JLA as kind of an Elseworlds project, but now I'm reconsidering. :juggle:

Read #1 today. Caught my attention. Good action right off the start, though I'm a little confused about how they met. Maybe as it progresses it will unravel. Going to start reading Action, Supergirl, Justice League, Wonder Woman and Superman. Still up in the air for me. I'm going to give it the first 5 issues or less and then decide.

The splash dual page of the covers toward the end are freakin' awesome, though. 2c

I haven't bought a mainstream modern book for years, but was intrigued by the possibility that DC genuinely might be interested in trying something radical and new. Of course my natural cynicism told me that it was all just a marketing gimmick and would be a big disappointment.

Well I bought JL 1 and I give it a cautious (thumbs u I thought the characterisation was good, the dialogue didn't make me want to hurl and I even think the costume changes are a reasonable compromise between classicism and modernity.

It did take far too little time to read though, one of the things that really puts me off of new books, I would rather of had more story pages and less art portfolio type stuff at the back of the book.

I will buy a few of the other number 1's and probably issue 2 of JL.

So far so good, we'll see how it goes...