• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the consensus on Metros grading ?

60 posts in this topic

I can only talk about 10-12 years ago when I assiduously bought only books that Metro had graded as NM or NM+, NM/M. "Investment Grade," of course. This was just before CGC was getting started. Not a single one of them ever graded higher than a 9.2, most at 8.5 or 9.0. And one key turned out to be a 7.5. At the time I had a friend advising to just "bite the bullet a few times" and then they'll let you at the really good stuff. We're not friends anymore. :)

Of course that was then. They might be better, and might have always been better on mid-low grades. It hurts me now because instead of having a bunch of 9.0-level stuff on important books, I'd be at 9.4s and up and independently wealthy. But I could have been pickier and returned more books, so my bad too.

And several other dealers were even worse. Only had one guy who ever advertised stuff as NM+ and it really was. Too bad I didn't buy more from him. That's where I got a Hulk 181 raw that graded 9.6 along with an Iron Man that got a 9.6 as well. Truth in advertising!

I like Metro......a half point either way which is fine for me. They have a better selection than eBay....if a book is scarce Metro's the first place I start looking. If you want, most of their scans can be enlarged twice....click it once then click that enlargement again and you get a VERY large image.......and they accept returns for any reason. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There are a few trends I've noticed with Metro.

1. They are way more forgiving of stains than is CGC. If they list a book as having a stain, it can be as much as 2.0 higher in grade than what CGC will give it.

2. They are way more forgiving of cover tears than CGC, especially on pedigree books. They have a few Church/MH books that look beautiful but have 1-2" tears that would really affect the CGC graded.

3. They don't give much mention to PQ in their grades or prices. They have some books that are LT/OW or slightly brittle priced at OW/W prices (I know because I bought one).

4. Non-color breaking creases are often ignored in their grading. If you buy a book with this kind of defect, Matt Nelson can press it out and you'll be pretty much where Metro said you would be.

Other than that, they seem as close to CGC as anyone else on their higher graded books.

1. They are way more forgiving of stains than is CGC. If they list a book as having a stain, it can be as much as 2.0 higher in grade than what CGC will give it.

2. They are way more forgiving of cover tears than CGC, especially on pedigree books. They have a few Church/MH books that look beautiful but have 1-2" tears that would really affect the CGC graded.

3. They don't give much mention to PQ in their grades or prices. They have some books that are LT/OW or slightly brittle priced at OW/W prices (I know because I bought one).

4. Non-color breaking creases are often ignored in their grading. If you buy a book with this kind of defect, Matt Nelson can press it out and you'll be pretty much where Metro said you would be.

Other than that, they seem as close to CGC as anyone else on their higher graded books.

:signfunny:

I agree with this post. I've purchased many raw books off of Metro over the years and you always have to deduct 2 or 3 points for books that have stains, tears or creases. I would say on average, 15% of the books were undergraded, 50% were spot on, 30% were overgraded by a 0.5 value, and the remaining 15% were overgraded by 1.0 or more.

I agree with this post. I've purchased many raw books off of Metro over the years and you always have to deduct 2 or 3 points for books that have stains, tears or creases. I would say on average, 15% of the books were undergraded, 50% were spot on, 30% were overgraded by a 0.5 value, and the remaining 15% were overgraded by 1.0 or more.

That's 110 percent

That's 110 percent

Yeah, what about the other 40% :sumo:

Although they take returns for any reason, they make you pay. I received a comic with a detached centerfold which was clearly not in the grade range advertised, they just missed it. Even then I had to pay the return postage.

Mike

Although they take returns for any reason, they make you pay. I received a comic with a detached centerfold which was clearly not in the grade range advertised, they just missed it. Even then I had to pay the return postage.

Mike

That's pretty typical in any mail order situation. (shrug)

That's 110 percent

lol sorry

Mike

Shouldn't be if they missed something.

If you are going to shoot this is your best shot , but why play the guessing game to save 10% or something, my buying experience was right on but will only but small books under $100.

I've read this in twenty differnt ways Mitch, and still can't figure out what word you got "the spoon" for using lol

If you quote the post you will able to see the original wording.

Metro's grading is spot on. (thumbs u

CGC might be a grade or so too tight. (shrug)

I agree for the most part. Metro has been "on" for books I've bought from them. I just always wonder though why a book is still "raw" (especially books over 1k) in this day in age of craziness for slabbed books. (shrug)

Mike

Shouldn't be if they missed something.

Exactly, if you miss a detached centerfold you should be very apologetic and pay the return shipping. Same with a clipped coupon or other obvious defect. Simple disagreements in grading I agree that the buyer should pay.

Mike

I agree with this post. I've purchased many raw books off of Metro over the years and you always have to deduct 2 or 3 points for books that have stains, tears or creases.

"2 or 3 points"? :eek: Crikey.

Sometimes I have seen where dealers disagree with a grade that CGC has given a book and taken the book out of the holder and sell it raw with a higher grade with no mention of the grade that CGC has previously given the book. I have seen that on Metro's website. I guess you have to do your homework with any book you buy to make sure it wasn't previously graded by CGC.