• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goldie's Dining Room

258 posts in this topic

All right, I cheated and datamined - here are the two three Nuggets songs that got to number two in the U.S. charts....

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I sit corrected! I didn't know and would have NEVER guessed Little Bit o'Soul made it to #2 as well.

Agreed - it's no classic.

All right, I cheated and datamined - here are the two three Nuggets songs that got to number two in the U.S. charts....

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I sit corrected! I didn't know and would have NEVER guessed Little Bit o'Soul made it to #2 as well.

Agreed - it's no classic.

:D

Asian "Nugget"

Japanese psychedelia circa 1970 :headbang:

I was actually in Japan at this time and

would have loved to have gone to this, but I don't think

my parents would have approved. Alas, I had to listen to Kasey Kasem

and The American Top 40 on the military network FEN. :cry:

Asian "Nugget"

Japanese psychedelia circa 1970 :headbang:

I was actually in Japan at this time and

would have loved to have gone to this, but I don't think

my parents would have approved. Alas, I had to listen to Kasey Kasem

and The American Top 40 on the military network FEN. :cry:

You had a weird and interesting childhood....

Hey Goldie, you going to NYCC this year?

And when are we going to turn this thread into a discussion on my sex appeal.

I may be going to NYCC although it's all been a bit last minute. Went last year as you know and thought it was a great show. Somehow messed up going to the forum dinner. :tonofbricks:

And I'm afraid that greggy has insisted on this thread being about him and his butchness. :eek:

So what are the major differences between British and American psychedelic rock? Not a vast amount early on, although it quickly became apparent by about '67 that U.S. psych-rock or acid-rock was more edgy, and in the case of the Doors and The Airplane, more politicised. British psychedelia was more about Tolkien, goblins, gentle baroque pop and nostalgia, all of which was to lead to progressive rock. The stuff on Nuggets, referred to by Lenny Kaye (album compiler) as "punk" indeed had more in common with its 70s namesake.

However there was always Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd, who may have quickly descended into whimsy, cod-eastern noodling and freak-out jamming, but started off with a handful of great songs before jetissoning their acid casualty leader because he couldn't play anymore (although most of the albums they did in the '70s were still informed by his presence).