• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

o/t...science fair project ideas

86 posts in this topic

I'll add a couple more things. I don't think it's a coincidence that the shape of the "v" is such that the paper with the least contraction is furthest away from the cover.

Or the fact that the "v" is most pronounced at the top of the book and the books are commonly displayed / sold / stored upright. Water and moisture consistently respond to gravity for the most part (with the exception of capillary action).

I'll add a couple more things. I don't think it's a coincidence that the shape of the "v" is such that the paper with the least contraction is furthest away from the cover.

Or the fact that the "v" is most pronounced at the top of the book and the books are commonly displayed / sold / stored upright. Water and moisture consistently respond to gravity for the most part (with the exception of capillary action).
Once they are off the press I can't see them having enough water that upright storage affects them. Besides many would have been stacked and transported in bundles -- they wouldn't be placed on the newsstand that quickly. If this phenomenon happened the way you posit then why does Dice not mention it as he's one positing something taking place over years.

Also, the greater quantity of fluid in the upright book would pool in the lower half, resulting in less shrinkage yet that's where the most shrinkage occurs.

I'm far from sold but I do think your shrinking experiment is interesting.

Working at CGC, I would see bundles of comics come to CGC untouched directly from the publishers. I can tell you that once the bundles were opened and exposed to more air and less compression, often times the covers would flair open dramatically!

I believe on some level, that once the comics hit the newsstands their physical form in many cases were slightly affected. I believe where a comic laid in the stack had some direct bearing on how much "movement" there was within the comic as it started to settle into the form it would take. Since comics are stacked vertically on spinner racks and shelves, it makes sense that it would skew upward showing a more pronounced "V" on the top edge vs the bottom. However, whatever cut you see on the top edge, you should see the exact opposite cut on the bottom edge to some degree. If you do not see that, there is a good chance your comic is trimmed (post-manufacturing).

Again, the "V" you see on the right edge (opening edge) of any comic has NOTHING to do with shrinkage!