• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rstoration Removal of color touch

17 posts in this topic

I am in the process of buying a copy of X-MEN #1 that the seller says is 9.4 and looks pretty nice but also that it has a slight Professional Color Touch on bottom right of cover and i know that CGC sends you to ClassicIncorporated to get restoration removal and that slight Professional Color Touch is one of their Services that they can do if it was done Professionally.

My question is has anyone EVER had this done on here and how many grades did it drop your book?

I know it matters how much color touch will be removed and so forth but if you had that done did it get graded as Regular Blue label?

Very Nervous because of the HIGH Dollar price of the book but it could end up being a great deal if the color touch can be removed and it grades still high enough with a blue label...

Any thoughts? IF it can't be done What would a price of a 9.4 slightly Professionally restored X-MEN #1 CGC graded be worth? Shoot lets even say a 9.0 or both for reference point and to see if would be worth keeping or not doing the deal!!

Also i have an Extensively Restored =( 8.5 Graded/Slabbed X-Men #1 already and have no clue about value of that either if anyone has a clue??? Bought it maybe 2 years ago for $500 so i think it was a good deal and looks beautiful!!! You guys are awesome and Hope to hear answers soon and if i get it,I'll put pics up and hope to hear responses in my window of when i can return it!! Thank you so much and I hope ine day to learn enough from you guys to be able to SPOT great deals myself =)

Sorry about the long post i ramble on i know but is vital info and you guys are the Experts!!

Also i have an Extensively Restored =( 8.5 Graded/Slabbed X-Men #1 already and have no clue about value of that either if anyone has a clue??? Bought it maybe 2 years ago for $500 so i think it was a good deal and looks beautiful!!! You guys are awesome and Hope to hear answers soon and if i get it,I'll put pics up and hope to hear responses in my window of when i can return it!! Thank you so much and I hope ine day to learn enough from you guys to be able to SPOT great deals myself =)

Sorry about the long post i ramble on i know but is vital info and you guys are the Experts!!

EP 8.0 sold for $1208 in 2003 and a MP 8.5 sold for $2275 last month.

It's best not to buy restored books unless they are (a) CGC graded already or (b) you trust your own restoration/trimming detection abilities and you are allowed to view the book in hand (or your dealer is known as being trustworthy and has a solid return policy).

I am in the process of buying a copy of X-MEN #1 that the seller says is 9.4 and looks pretty nice but also that it has a slight Professional Color Touch on bottom right of cover and i know that CGC sends you to ClassicIncorporated to get restoration removal and that slight Professional Color Touch is one of their Services that they can do if it was done Professionally.

My question is has anyone EVER had this done on here and how many grades did it drop your book?

I know it matters how much color touch will be removed and so forth but if you had that done did it get graded as Regular Blue label?

Very Nervous because of the HIGH Dollar price of the book but it could end up being a great deal if the color touch can be removed and it grades still high enough with a blue label...

Any thoughts? IF it can't be done What would a price of a 9.4 slightly Professionally restored X-MEN #1 CGC graded be worth? Shoot lets even say a 9.0 or both for reference point and to see if would be worth keeping or not doing the deal!!

It's best not to buy restored books unless they are (a) CGC graded already or (b) you trust your own restoration/trimming detection abilities and you are allowed to view the book in hand (or your dealer is known as being trustworthy and has a solid return policy).

Agreed. Some color touch can be removed, but where there's smoke there is usually fire. Why would someone "professionally" color touch an otherwise high grade X-men #1? To keep in one's personal collection with better eye appeal or to use as bait for a scam?

Run a search of the seller on the boards and see if you can deduce their motives.

A lot of resto cannot be removed. The big question is - is the book trimmed? Trimming cannot be undone and is not so much resto as it is destruction and indicative of a possible scam.

I would walk away from the purchase of this book. The chances of an easy removal of the CT and it being an isolated spot is probably remote. If the book could have be 'fixed' why didn't the seller do it ? Don't involve yourself with this project.

I would walk away from the purchase of this book. The chances of an easy removal of the CT and it being an isolated spot is probably remote. If the book could have be 'fixed' why didn't the seller do it ? Don't involve yourself with this project.

+1

move on

Agreed. Some color touch can be removed, but where there's smoke there is usually fire. Why would someone "professionally" color touch an otherwise high grade X-men #1? To keep in one's personal collection with better eye appeal or to use as bait for a scam?

Run a search of the seller on the boards and see if you can deduce their motives.

A lot of resto cannot be removed. The big question is - is the book trimmed? Trimming cannot be undone and is not so much resto as it is destruction and indicative of a possible scam.

(worship)

I have been saying for years that trimming is "cosmetic destruction," not "restoration."

A real professional would never restore/ct a book like that above VG/VG+ range, so it does make you wonder what they were hiding? If CGC graded and the label says very slight pro color touch, I would feel a lot better taking a risk like that if already a good deal, but raw is just asking for other problems unless the seller is a very well trusted dealer with a lot of experience and a good return policy. Good Luck!

If bijoubaby05 or robojo is selling it, don't buy it.

I wish I read this before dropping quite a bit on his books - picked up an ASM #13 advertised as 9.4; lucky if it is higher than VF and who knows about resto; a VF X-Men #12 with a marker check about 1/2" long under the X in X-Men and a bunch of other X-Men teens (sentinel run) "9.0 - 9.2" books that look like they are 7.0 books, at best. Just took it as a loss; but now I'm pissed all over again!

+1

move on

aside from my tangent - could not agree more with etanick!

I'm not going to suggest what I think you should or shouldn't do. I will only offer my experience.

I purchased a X-Men #2 off of eBay about 2 years ago. As soon as I received the book I could see a few little spots on the spine that had been color touched. No bleed through and it was a amateur job.

At that point I think it would have received a Apparent VF+ with amateur CT.

I sent the book to Matt Nelson and he confirmed my fears. (Not really fears because I paid $220.00 for it - low feedback seller, no grade given, selling for a friend, auction ended at 6am etc, etc. (Yes, I like to take chances every once in a while).

Matt informed me that he could remove the color touch and that is his opinion when he was done it could get a 7.0 Blue Label. I jumped at the chance. The total charge for the removal and the pressing was $103.00. When done he was really positive about how it came out so I couldn't wait for the results..

It came back from CGC about a month later with.........a blue label and a 7.0 (thumbs u Matt had already done awesome work for me before but this was above and beyond. It was still a very nice looking copy.

Every book is different so let a professional take a look to see if it can be removed. Depending on how the book appears you may want to keep it. Or, if this is part of a comic book 401K you may want to go for the blue.

So, that is my 1 and only experience with resto and resto removal.