• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX is such a Joke

35 posts in this topic

No news to anyone here. But yet again we have some "fine" examples of why most don't trust and will never buy a PGX graded book.

A couple of PGX graded Tecs on a current CLink auction. 1 or more points Overgraded on each, Restored in Unrestored labels, and grammatical errors. doh!

Tec 44 graded as PGX Unrestored 3.0 - Would be a CGC .5 Restored TRIMMED

tec44pgx.jpg

Tec 47 graded as having "miinor color touch" lol

Tec47.jpg

Tec 54 graded as a PGX 2.0 - Would be a CGC .5 Unrestored (possibly slightly higher graded qualified.)

Tec54pgx.jpg

It's crazy that anyone would send them books anymore. That Tek #44 blows my mind. Centerfold missing and tape along the spine and they gave it a 3.0. doh! Maybe Dan was on the three day binge drinking Mad Dog 20/20.

DR.X

I am sad to say that a dealer friend of mine here in Eugene, uses PGX exclusively for all his slabbed books. He has a zillion books and is in the process of selling them all off. I think because PGX is here in town where he lives and has his shop, he is content cuz he doesn't have to deal with shipping charges, the time it takes to get stuff back, AND he probably gets some kind of a special rate. I think PGX is using him more than the other way around.

He actually has an Action #1 that is PGX graded at a 9.0 (the Grimes book) I just don't see anyone trusting PGX enough to lay down the kind of money he wants for it unless he gets it changed over to CGC..... but that might mean a grade change hm

A sticky business situation no doubt.

I am sad to say that a dealer friend of mine here in Eugene, uses PGX exclusively for all his slabbed books. He has a zillion books and is in the process of selling them all off. I think because PGX is here in town where he lives and has his shop, he is content cuz he doesn't have to deal with shipping charges, the time it takes to get stuff back, AND he probably gets some kind of a special rate. I think PGX is using him more than the other way around.

He actually has an Action #1 that is PGX graded at a 9.0 (the Grimes book) I just don't see anyone trusting PGX enough to lay down the kind of money he wants for it unless he gets it changed over to CGC..... but that might mean a grade change hm

A sticky business situation no doubt.

Was that the one that Paulie offered here on the boards for $1,000,000?

No news to anyone here. But yet again we have some "fine" examples of why most don't trust and will never buy a PGX graded book.

A couple of PGX graded Tecs on a current CLink auction. 1 or more points Overgraded on each, Restored in Unrestored labels, and grammatical errors. doh!

Tec 54 graded as a PGX 2.0 - Would be a CGC .5 Unrestored (possibly slightly higher graded qualified.)

Forgive my ignorance, but I know nothing of PGX. Is it just that they don't, for some bizarre reason, consider glue and trimming resto, or is it just that they are so bad with quality control that these notes slipped through the cracks and wound up with blue labels instead of green?

That is crazy! Seriously, who would use PGX? I don't get the motivation. Is it with the knowledge that they'll bump your book, no matter what?

Well here is an answer for you.

I recently bought a Amazing Fantasy #15 PGX 5.0 at an auction. The book was from an original owner and the auctioneer had it graded. He called both companies and got a better response and "feel" from PGX. He liked the mom and pop over the big company. He likely cost himself some money, but in this case the book was fine and only about .5-1.0 overgraded but no hidden problems.

This all went down over the last couple months, so people still use them, I just don't know how people even find them :grin:

James G

Forgive my ignorance, but I know nothing of PGX. Is it just that they don't, for some bizarre reason, consider glue and trimming resto, or is it just that they are so bad with quality control that these notes slipped through the cracks and wound up with blue labels instead of green?

It's a combination of the two. But if you had to pick one, they are just overall low quality both in product and "vision" of grading.

Different standards for sure.

At least they are listing the flaws (that they found), odd they would list a trim and then say it doesn't need a restored label. Do they have a qualified label? I don't even know. Centerfold missing should be "qualified".

One small bit of defense for them; I have seen plenty of CGC books that list "small amount of glue" and still get universal grades.

Different standards for sure.

At least they are listing the flaws (that they found), odd they would list a trim and then say it doesn't need a restored label. Do they have a qualified label? I don't even know. Centerfold missing should be "qualified".

One small bit of defense for them; I have seen plenty of CGC books that list "small amount of glue" and still get universal grades.

Yes but this is only for old books from the Golden Age (or older) and it can only be a very small amount of glue.