• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNRECOGNIZED PEDIGREE BY CGC.....GOLDEN STATE COLLEXN

49 posts in this topic

Dinner is on you? Now I now this is not the real Captain Tripps who I have never seen buy a dinner.

He never said where the dinner would be! devil.gif

Let's face it Bob, the fact is that I'm just cuter than you.

A few years ago, I cleaned out a bunch of the later GS Sgt Fury's from Dan after they'd been sitting in his catalog for a while and he was desperate to unload them. They are gorgeous! A few months ago, I picked out some of the better issues and submitted them to CGC, which I just got back. Here are the results:

24 9.4 OW-W (undergraded in my opinion, thought it'd get a 9.6)

25 9.4 W (fair grade, was hoping for 9.6)

36 9.8 OW-W

51 9.8 W

63 9.8 W

64 9.8 W (one of my all-time favorite Fury covers, this one is going to be locked up for many years to come)

80 9.6 OW-W (boo! hiss!)

I would've submitted more, many of which would undoubtedly come in at 9.4 or 9.6, but the sad fact is that prices for mid- to late-run Sgt Fury's, even in 9.4, just don't economically justify the slabbing costs.

Anyways, I think the results confirm the discussion in this thread that the collection really gets stellar starting from the mid-1960s. I think this collection rivals the Boston pedigree as the top pedigrees for mid- to late-1960s books, although I don't know if the size or depth rivals Boston.