• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Grade to Buy Keys In?

25 posts in this topic

Assume we're talking about a key issue like Hulk 1, Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Avengers 1. Leave out the AF 15 and mega Golden Age keys.

Would you rather pay a "reasonable" price for an 8.5 or pony up bigger bucks for a 9.0? Which do you think would be the better investment in the long run, assuming that your goal is to keep the issue but, to justify the expenditure for a comic book you need the support of at least making your money back if you need the money.

Are the 8.5s more likely to suffer in value from future pressing (7.5s and 8.0s turning into 8.5s), or are they still sound investments? I know the answer is "depends on the price" but as a general philosophy, what would be your preferred strategy?

I would buy what I could afford, probably up to 9.9. (that will be when I'm worth millions)

How many copies are out there that good, maybe 1-2, or none.

There is nothing wrong with upgrading when you can and want to. Keys in high grade do not seem to fall out of favor.

I doubt a pre 1968 8.5 key will be dropping much. Bronze keys will likely drop some, there's just so many floating around. Bronze slabs have cooled over the last 3 years.

Who knows, maybe the movies will keep demand high?

Best tip I can give, never buy a hot key for the hot price. They all cool, maybe not Action 1 or Tec 27. But I've seen all the silvers and bronze follow the movies a bit, and fall in and out of demand. Right now is not a good time to chase Avengers 1, 4, Cap 100. It is a good time to chase early Hulks, FF, TOS 39, Spideys (AF15 is now godlike though). You get the idea, when possible by what's not the flavor of the month. Of course if a deal comes, jump on it, and they do if you have patience.

Also I would never "plan" on making money, it really might not work that way.

good luck

Buy what you can afford.

Depending on the key go for nice eye appeal.

Treat the purchase and reverse the situation. Assume you would have to sell the book yourself and focus on what defect draws your eye.

While some keys are more common than others 8.5's are still very nice copies.

Buy the highest grade you can't afford.
fixed it for you

:signfunny:

To answer the OP, obviously your budget plays a role, and it also depends on the comic. Some comics have a huge price bump just for one grade bump.

GSXM 1 does that when you go from 9.0 to 9.2. I purchased a 9.2 and have since sold it, but in retrospect I think you're much better off buying a 9.0. The difference between a 9.0 and 9.2 is very subtle, but the price difference is not.

I don't buy them so much for investment. I find by buying lower grade copies I get to own these pieces of history. If I went high grade, I would probably never do so.

Count me in this category.

I do like the question of the fact will future pressings of 7.5s affect previously unpressed 8.5s? That's a legitimate question, of which I don't have the answer to. Would love to hear someone's take on that.

Are the 8.5s more likely to suffer in value from future pressing (7.5s and 8.0s turning into 8.5s), or are they still sound investments? I know the answer is "depends on the price" but as a general philosophy, what would be your preferred strategy?

Actually, 9.0s and above are probably more sensitive to pressing devaluation than 8.5s as the defects in a 7.5 or 8.0 are typically not removed by pressing. However, 8.5s and above commonly have non-colorbreaking spine stress, etc. that would come out in pressing.

Bob's right, though, buy the book based upon eye appeal. Odds are that the one that looks really nice to you will appeal to others as well. There are many 8.5s that I would rather own than 9.0s and 9.2s that are structurally nicer (even if offered at the same price). I wouldn't underestimate page quality in your decision either as it also plays a big role.

I like your board name. Not many would get the reference these days. WTTB.

Both Oakman and blazingbob are on the right track. hm

My recommendation would be to buy the highest grade you can afford while taking eye appeal into account. That's because some flaws are more visibly pronounced than others in spite of CGC certified grading. Each book is unique, and one high grade copy will not necessarily have the same eye appeal as another of equal grade.

That goes for 8.5 as well as 9.0, 9.2 and above, although theoretically the more noticeable flaws should disappear with each increasing grade.

This would be my advice from both the collecting and investment side of the equation, especially since we're discussing the acquisition of key books. OTOH, if one is just looking for reading copies, then buying beaters at an easily affordable price would make more sense. (thumbs u

There are many 8.5s that I would rather own than 9.0s and 9.2s that are structurally nicer (even if offered at the same price). I wouldn't underestimate page quality in your decision either as it also plays a big role.

I totally agree. Especially upon dealing with keys. 8.0s with nice looking PQ and centering are spicy too.

Mind you the "buy what you can afford," notion is really what it amounts to. Don't get too blinded by grades.

(I know practice what you preach)

I do like the question of the fact will future pressings of 7.5s affect previously unpressed 8.5s? That's a legitimate question, of which I don't have the answer to. Would love to hear someone's take on that.

No you wouldn't.

I would buy the book that presents better. I would also take in account the aesthetics of the defects, PQ, and centering.

If I found a 8.5 with white pages that presents a little better(due to placement of defects or whatever) then a 9.0 with OW/W pages then I would go for the former.

It really depends on the situation. Buy what looks best to you/

As long as they have a nice eye appeal, I'd go for it. Just like this one (although not a key, it still looks mighty nice)

asm8-front.jpg

For mega keys, I'd just about take 'em in almost any grade if they're Early SA/GA but would be a little more picky if they are BA keys.

As long as they have a nice eye appeal, I'd go for it. Just like this one (although not a key, it still looks mighty nice)

How is that only a 2.5 ?

I really have no idea and haven't really asked CGC about it. The back cover looks OK, as well, so maybe there's confetti between the covers, for all I know.