• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pacific Coast original catalog listings

92 posts in this topic

Thanks! Interesting that the TOSs start only from 77. As we know from the scans in the CGC galleries, there definitely were earlier PC TOSs, and they are absolutely stunning!

I don't suppose some industrious person out there would want to try to correlate the PC catalog listed grades against known CGC grades? I imagine Tripps' collections in the Registry would be a good place to start.

GPAnalysis.com would be quicker if any of the issues has sold at auction since June 2002, as GPA lists pedigree books with a separate notation.

Yes, but can you run a search so it would list only PC books? Plus, many of the PCs have never been sold in public transactions, so they wouldn't be in GPA. I was thinking of going through GPA, Heritage and the Registry and listing the CGC grade of each PC copy against the listing in the catalog. Hey, you work at a big law firm, why don't you put a paralegal on it? Tell them to bill it to, uh, client development. devil.gif

Maybe this is a task for Valiantman, is there anyway to extract the pedigree information from the Registry listings without opening up each listing? Just going through Tripps' Registry will probably cover about half the known Marvel PC pedigrees! shocked.gif

Thanks! Interesting that the TOSs start only from 77. As we know from the scans in the CGC galleries, there definitely were earlier PC TOSs, and they are absolutely stunning!

I don't suppose some industrious person out there would want to try to correlate the PC catalog listed grades against known CGC grades? I imagine Tripps' collections in the Registry would be a good place to start.

GPAnalysis.com would be quicker if any of the issues has sold at auction since June 2002, as GPA lists pedigree books with a separate notation.

Yes, but can you run a search so it would list only PC books? Plus, many of the PCs have never been sold in public transactions, so they wouldn't be in GPA. I was thinking of going through GPA, Heritage and the Registry and listing the CGC grade of each PC copy against the listing in the catalog. Hey, you work at a big law firm, why don't you put a paralegal on it? Tell them to bill it to, uh, client development. devil.gif

Maybe this is a task for Valiantman, is there anyway to extract the pedigree information from the Registry listings without opening up each listing? Just going through Tripps' Registry will probably cover about half the known Marvel PC pedigrees! shocked.gif

If there is a way to search for Pacific Coast books alone on GPA, I'm not aware of it. For what it's worth, I just checked TOS #s 1-76 and only one Pacific Coast copy shows up as having been sold at auction (including Heritage) since June 2002. confused-smiley-013.gif Other than that, just Curators, Western Penns, Circle 8s, Winnepegs, Bostons, Green Rivers, and the occasional Mass., Northland, Bethlehem, and Big Apple copy for that run.

The one Pacific Coast copy that does show up is TOS #56, and it's a 9.2.

Guys,

Great post. BTW, the original owner first sold some of his books on the internet, I believe, not e-bay. I think he just placed an ad and was selling the doubles of the killer books he had in full runs.

I believe LinMoth was the first person who contacted him, and was sent a bunch of killer books (which he almost passed on because he's a DC guy and the books had the light transfer stain (back cover ad showing through onto back cover from books being stacked in 6 foot piles)).

Those original books (before Roter became involved) were killer and wound up grading extremely high (X-Men 1 9.6 white, X-Men 14 9.6, X-Men 17 9.6, X-Men 21 9.8, X-Men 59 9.4, DD 5 9.8, DD 7 9.4, DD 17 9.6, Avengers 16-19 9.6, 20 9.8, ASM Annual 1 9.6, ASM Annual 3 9.8, FF Annual 1 9.6, FF Annual 4 9.8, TTA 57 9, etc, etc.)

I don't know how Roter became involved, but as a dealer in California he probably heard about the collection and contacted the OO or the OO heard about Pacific Comic Exchange & contacted Roter. Either way, its safe to assume Robert was freaking out big time when he saw these runs of unbelievable, unread books!!!!

My theory is the OO sold the doubles first, leaving the runs intact, probably thinking the doubles he originally offered on the internet were in lower grade than the ones he kept intact in his runs. But as it turns out, some of these books initially sold to LinMoth graded higher than the ones he kept!! These books are definitely Pacific Coast copies (X-Men 1 9.6), and have only recently been labeled as such.

No doubt, this was the Church find of the Silver Age, as the collection has appx 7,000 killer books from many publishers. I have many of the Gold Keys and they are ridiculous!!!

Hope this tidbit of info. helps. Thanks for everyone's input, also!!

great post captain! laugh.gif i remember seeing the OO run on PCE and i emailed Pobert Roter re: some of the JIM prices being like 4X guide. he told me that these books were SWEET and are being assigned as a pedigree. man o man i wish i would've busted out my CC and snapped up those ladies. foreheadslap.gifmakepoint.gifsorry.gif

namisgr,

Thanks for the post. I don't have any info on these "missing" early issues, but I would assume they exist. Why would he (OO) buy Hulk 1 (which is an 8.0, gorgeous but has crease on back cover), and not 2 & 3, then buy 5 & 6?. Doesn't make sense. He was obviously a completist and didn't miss any other issues. Same thing for JIM; why buy 84 and not 85 & 86. I would think they exist, but weren't sold to Roter or LinMoth. It's possible he loved the missing issues' covers & kept them. But my gut feeling is they exist.

Sorry I don't have eact info. Again, this Pac Coast talk is awesome and gets my collecting juices flowing!! Thanks, guys!!!

Pimp,

I hear you. I knew about these OO books but didn't think twice about them at the time. For one, I had previously bought White Mtn EC's and Atlas books from Roter & thought he overgraded, plus without a return policy it made no sense to try (what an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I was). Secondly, I was getting more & more into horror books at that time and bought a whole bunch of Bethlehems from Marnin Rosenberg when these OO Roter books came out. I get sick to my stomach thinking about these Pacific Coasts I could have bought for so much less back then if I did the smart thing and flew out to Calif to see the books in person (like Mark Schreuder did).

I guess I made up for it with all the initial trades & purchases after that, starting in the Summer of 2000, when I got my first Pacific Coast (the un-labeled X-Men 1 9.6). I have no regrets, but if I could just go back in time...............

Guys,

Great post. BTW, the original owner first sold some of his books on the internet, I believe, not e-bay. I think he just placed an ad and was selling the doubles of the killer books he had in full runs.

I believe LinMoth was the first person who contacted him, and was sent a bunch of killer books (which he almost passed on because he's a DC guy and the books had the light transfer stain (back cover ad showing through onto back cover from books being stacked in 6 foot piles)).

Those original books (before Roter became involved) were killer and wound up grading extremely high (X-Men 1 9.6 white, X-Men 14 9.6, X-Men 17 9.6, X-Men 21 9.8, X-Men 59 9.4, DD 5 9.8, DD 7 9.4, DD 17 9.6, Avengers 16-19 9.6, 20 9.8, ASM Annual 1 9.6, ASM Annual 3 9.8, FF Annual 1 9.6, FF Annual 4 9.8, TTA 57 9, etc, etc.)

I don't know how Roter became involved, but as a dealer in California he probably heard about the collection and contacted the OO or the OO heard about Pacific Comic Exchange & contacted Roter. Either way, its safe to assume Robert was freaking out big time when he saw these runs of unbelievable, unread books!!!!

My theory is the OO sold the doubles first, leaving the runs intact, probably thinking the doubles he originally offered on the internet were in lower grade than the ones he kept intact in his runs. But as it turns out, some of these books initially sold to LinMoth graded higher than the ones he kept!! These books are definitely Pacific Coast copies (X-Men 1 9.6), and have only recently been labeled as such.

No doubt, this was the Church find of the Silver Age, as the collection has appx 7,000 killer books from many publishers. I have many of the Gold Keys and they are ridiculous!!!

Hope this tidbit of info. helps. Thanks for everyone's input, also!!

Hi Captain: It's not often that you have a theory that's incorrect, but I feel the need to correct you on a few points regarding the Pacific Coast Collection.

If I had been the first to receive any books from the OO, Roter would never have stood a chance to buy the books that he did from the collection.

I know what Roter paid for the books, if I posted that info in this thread the forum may go silent while everyone recovers from heart failure.

I met the OO thru eBay. Mind you that this was before CGC and books didn't sell at the multiples of today. I lost a bid on a book to a dealer who paid 1.25 X guide so I thought, WOW, this guy must know something. That guy was PCE.

I sent off a very cordial email, not knowing if I would get a response, but low and behold I did. I don't think that the OO was all that impressed with Rob and how he handled his negotiations although he had already committed to selling the collection to them. They had paid half of the agreed upon amount and he was waiting for them to finish the transaction. I told him that if it didn't happen I would be there in a heartbeat cash in hand.

The OO would email me lists of doubles that he had, of course, I told him early on that I didn't want any of that Marvel [!@#%^&^] only SWEET DC's. As time went on, I saw the condition of the books and bad memories of passing on the Western PA Marvel runs came to mind, I said " You know OO maybe I would like to start collecting ( ouch ) Marvels.

Do you remember how you felt on Christmas morning when you were six or seven, the anticipation, not being able to sleep, opening your presents and WOW. That pretty much describes how I felt when I would open the boxes that these wonderful Comics came in.

Well, the first group of Marvels arrived, was I dissapointed. I wasn't accustomed to seeing books that looked like these after the beautiful whites on the covers of the DC's. I shot off an email to the OO and said, " You know, I'm not sure that I am going to keep these they are pretty ugly. " He responded, No problem if you decide to send them back. I next dayed them to a friend who is a life long Marvel guy and when he offered to buy them for 3X what I paid for them I decided that I might want to keep em. In that group were X-men 1, DD 1-10, FF 50, TOS 48, and others that I don't recall at the moment.

The OO was an extordinary Gentleman who had the ability to recite verbatim the story line from every comic in his collection. He loved the books as a collector not as a speculator. Even after CGC and the books started to rise in value I would receive lists.

I followed the PCE website, watched the press releases and knew that was who had bought the majority of the collection that I was now lucky enough to have these same books in my collection. There were holes in some of the runs so finally I asked " OO, I would like to complete these runs, who did you sell to, PCE!

I submitted a few books to CGC to be Pedigreed Pacific Coast, one I think was X-men 1, boy did the sh#t hit the fan. Roter threatened to sue CGC if they certified the books PC. After a few conversations with Steve, his boss had decided that they couldn't issue the Pedigree. Well, after a few of the BSD Marvel Collectors ( as these boards like to call them) got involved, some time had elapsed, I sent in a list of the books I had purchased, and the OO was gracious enough to call in and speak with Mark Haspel to confirm everything that I had been telling them, lo and behold, PEDIGREE STATUS. Of course by this time I had already slabbed many of the books, off to CGC they went to be reholdered.

Almost the end of story: This one's for the Captain. You should have seen the Hulk 1-6 that I gave away, yeah as in gift, to the friend that I sent the first group of Marvels to. He doesn't slab his books and has been out of comics for a few years.

Don't call Cap cause I ain't talkin.

Thought you guys might like to hear the story first hand, sorry it's so long.

Bye!

Best, Tom

What a story ! I could read this stuff all day popcorn.gif

Yeah, I feel like an 8 year old sitting around a campfire listening to the grownups tell war stories. I am transfixed. MORE! MORE!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Some of the PC TOS's was graded by PCE as

36 VF-

37 NM

38 NM/M

39 NM+

40 NM+

41 NM++

42 NM++

43 NM+

44 NM++

45 NM/MT

46 NM/MT

47 NM++

48 NM/MT

49 NM/MT

I also have listings on runs of Showcase from 41-61

and Brave and the Bold 40-62 if any body wants em.....

Some of the PC TOS's was graded by PCE as

36 VF-

37 NM

38 NM/M

39 NM+

40 NM+

41 NM++

42 NM++

43 NM+

44 NM++

45 NM/MT

46 NM/MT

47 NM++

48 NM/MT

49 NM/MT

I also have listings on runs of Showcase from 41-61

and Brave and the Bold 40-62 if any body wants em.....

Thanks, and yes please, I'd love to see the listings for the Showcase and B&B runs! thumbsup2.gif

Tom and Tripps,

Thanks for both of your contributions to this thread. As you can tell from the responses from the other folks participating on this thread, we are enraptured by the unfolding story. This is why I joined these boards, to learn new things and participate in constructive discussions. It's great to have a thread without all the petty squabbling and mean-spirited flame wars from the Negative Posters Society.

-Tim