• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

Paper quality to me is much more important than other defects such as spine bends, etc. But that is simply my humble opine.

I agree with you on that point. Paper quality should be the first thing considered when grading a book. I have to shake my head whenever I see a book with cream-to-off-white pages slabbed as NM (or higher!). Of course, I have no desire to see the current trend change. I'm happy to let other people pay big bucks for the 9.6s with cream-to-off-white pages while I collect 8.5s with white pages for a fraction of the price.

here's a nice "cuz i say so" frisco y'all can jump out there to get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-21-4-5-VG-1944-DC-WP-TOM-REILLY-SAN-FRANCISCO-/390557318192?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5aef07bc30

now, be aware, the book below, from the same month, shows what kind of markings a reilly of that vintage should have, but, hey, knock

I hear you but Im not going to call Bob a liar either. He could be right, he could be wrong. I cant see valuing that batman very high either way esp given that I dont agree with the grade

The Reilly collection surfaced 40 years ago this next month during Easter week end. At that point in time Reilly had died summer 1945 which was only 28 years previous. They sat untouched by humans that first segment.

They have moved all over the place in the last 40 years. One is pre-supposing that ALL buyers of ALL comic book collections were extremely careful with ALL their books. There are innumerable ways books end up getting damaged.

Also depends how they were stored, etc.

The Reillys I presently have listed in my eBay store all came from one guy who bought them from me back in 1973 inside the Berkeley store. There is also a Shadow, a Crack Comics, some others. I know the circumstances they were under coming out of a garage which I am not going in to here. Maybe later on.

But...um...

batman21.jpg

I have stated this many times over the years, including previous threads from years ago here as well as else where:

there were duplicates of some issues - it was not all just single issues.

There is a lot of data in what I wrote which has been posted this week as well as years ago for the edification for those of you obsessed with this collection who are williling to pay big bucks for copies from it.

Actually, both the above Batman and the one in my ebay store look to be from the same part of the print run. The binding cuts and fold are almost spot on the same as both are slightly miscut.

Same brilliance of the colors.

Both have perfect interior white paper.

The one in my eBay store has a "g" on the front cover, the one in the slab does not.

The one I have for sale I was told was attacked by a cat years ago. When I scored them, nothing was in bags or boards. They were stored what they say here (?): "raw" and had been in a garage for some years.

Bob, Jim Elsenpeter here,

Additionally, did you or anyone else get any pictures of the collection back when you bought it? I've not seen anyone ask about this, so I figure it's worth asking about. I'm not asking to see proof of anything, just that it would be cool to see photos of stacks of old high grade funnybooks!!!

SNIP

Conclusively, while many seem to be content to make fun at your expense, there are many of us that appreciate any bits of helpful knowledge that you can give and at the very least, thank you for your honest efforts. I also would like to add my best wishes for your daughters recovery!! Those of us who have children have our hearts go out to you and any other parents dealing with the illness of their children. God Bless.

I found i did not address these parts of your post, my bad, and apologies:

Almost ALL of my own personal archives from my earlier life in the comics hobby were destroyed in flooding of Best of Two World's warehouse flooding Feb 1986. ALL of my comics convention "stuff" badges, program books, flyers, etc beginning with my first comics show in Houston June 17 118 1967 onwards. Letters exchanged with Wertham in 1969/70, my letter from from Comics God Hal Foster, many others.

I had saved/pack ratted the entirety of the comics trip from when i got my first newspaper clipping age 13 Feb 1966 about Leonard Brown when I first became conscious of comics being worth anything onwards.

this included most all my photographs I had of up to that point 20 years in the comics hobby. I have been recollecting that archive best as possible slowly but surely ever since. I only have a scant few pics from the 70s of the comics stores I was involved with prior to Feb 1986.

I am well aware of "fun" others wish to partake in, they lack anything else better to do with their time. I no longer feed in to such shennanigans like I think I used to.

I went thru a pain induced mind numbing experience from 2006-2011 during which I seemed to have alienated a lot of people around me. I made a lot of mistakes inside pain induced madness.

After HMO Aetna canceled policy mid 2006 much less already scheduled surgery citing "undisclosed pre-existing condition" my hips joints which had been evidently damaged ie cartilage crushed wearing out leaving bone on bone disintegrating with hundreds of bone frags digging in to the meat. It is what it is.

Some kind soul I do not remember his name right now (and feel badly) with a Wall Street firm finally donated the lion's share of what it took to get both hip joints replaced same day in Oct 2009 out in LA. Mark Wilson (WA) set it up for the initial contact and I thank him as well.

I have near zero memories of 2006 07 08 09 as the pain got worse literally each step I took. It is what it is.

I am forever in his debt and thank this New Yrok peson profusely once again for literally saving my life. Now I am working on bringing my oldest daughter Katy back from the brink stricken with something called Stevens Johnson Syndrome. With hat in hand I ask any one who might care about her to buy

Bob, Jim Elsenpeter here,

Additionally, did you or anyone else get any pictures of the collection back when you bought it? I've not seen anyone ask about this, so I figure it's worth asking about. I'm not asking to see proof of anything, just that it would be cool to see photos of stacks of old high grade funnybooks!!!

SNIP

Conclusively, while many seem to be content to make fun at your expense, there are many of us that appreciate any bits of helpful knowledge that you can give and at the very least, thank you for your honest efforts. I also would like to add my best wishes for your daughters recovery!! Those of us who have children have our hearts go out to you and any other parents dealing with the illness of their children. God Bless.

I found i did not address these parts of your post, my bad, and apologies:

Almost ALL of my own personal archives from my earlier life in the comics hobby were destroyed in flooding of Best of Two World's warehouse flooding Feb 1986. ALL of my comics convention "stuff" badges, program books, flyers, etc beginning with my first comics show in Houston June 17 118 1967 onwards. Letters exchanged with Wertham in 1969/70, my letter from from Comics God Hal Foster, many others.

I had saved/pack ratted the entirety of the comics trip from when i got my first newspaper clipping age 13 Feb 1966 about Leonard Brown when I first became conscious of comics being worth anything onwards.

this included most all my photographs I had of up to that point 20 years in the comics hobby. I have been recollecting that archive best as possible slowly but surely ever since. I only have a scant few pics from the 70s of the comics stores I was involved with prior to Feb 1986.

I am well aware of "fun" others wish to partake in, they lack anything else better to do with their time. I no longer feed in to such shennanigans like I think I used to.

I went thru a pain induced mind numbing experience from 2006-2011 during which I seemed to have alienated a lot of people around me. I made a lot of mistakes inside pain induced madness.

After HMO Aetna canceled policy mid 2006 much less already scheduled surgery citing "undisclosed pre-existing condition" my hips joints which had been evidently damaged ie cartilage crushed wearing out leaving bone on bone disintegrating with hundreds of bone frags digging in to the meat. It is what it is.

Some kind soul I do not remember his name right now (and feel badly) with a Wall Street firm finally donated the lion's share of what it took to get both hip joints replaced same day in Oct 2009 out in LA. Mark Wilson (WA) set it up for the initial contact and I thank him as well.

I have near zero memories of 2006 07 08 09 as the pain got worse literally each step I took. It is what it is.

I am forever in his debt and thank this New Yrok peson profusely once again for literally saving my life. Now I am working on bringing my oldest daughter Katy back from the brink stricken with something called Stevens Johnson Syndrome. With hat in hand I ask any one who might care about her to buy

bob, despite my shenanigans in this thread [and there is no denying i enjoy stirring the shenanigans], i sure went over and tried to buy one. i bid up to a bit below guide on a raw non-raboy cap't midnight book--these books sell for well under guide as a rule--but you told me "you get to relist at 3c a month and it well sell at my price soon enough" or words to that effect. but, i did try. i've had 2 med mal defense cases over the years involving sjs, and know how bad it can be---my most fervent hopes for katy's full recovery.

bob, despite my shenanigans in this thread [and there is no denying i enjoy stirring the shenanigans], i sure went over and tried to buy one. i bid up to a bit below guide on a raw non-raboy cap't midnight book--these books sell for well under guide as a rule--but you told me "you get to relist at 3c a month and it well sell at my price soon enough" or words to that effect. but, i did try. i've had 2 med mal defense cases over the years involving sjs, and know how bad it can be---my most fervent hopes for katy's full recovery.

This book just very recently scored exactly one month ago is the World War Two japanese concentration camp escape cover. Looks to be Capt Midnight stopping the escape of Japanese Americans from USA-run concentration camps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-MIDNIGHT-23-7-0-FVF-FAWCETT-JAPANESE-WAR-PRISON-ESCAPE-HIGH-GRADE-/390568210425?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5aefadeff9

Your $120 offer, which i clicked no on, then you upped to $125, again I clicked no on, does zero benefit on some levels here after facoring cost of goods, eBay FVF, Paypal percent.

I sell a lot of prime classic covers and issues to institutions of higher learning some call university libraries which this one falls well inside those parameters to the point OPG breaks it out as special as well.

Due to my heavy duty research for a long time when I was hitting comicons all over the country mid 90s thri mid 00s in the years before the hip joints "blew" out in to the myriad origins of the comic book in many of these facilities including LOC, I know a lot of the archivist curators who are increasingly seeking to expand their library holdings in to special issues of this nature.

This scarcer CM due to increased demand because of its heavy statement, if it does not sell for what i want in the short term for it to a "collector", first one I have had in well over a decade, falls neatly in to that category and will end up in a university research collection. Have already sent out solicitations to a few of these joints as their fiscal budgets provide for more spending this upcoming quarter.

"...the 3 cents per item per month..." coupled with "...this item is alrady discounted via short term store wide sale ending soon, it will go away soon enough..." I email is a pat phrase I developed which almost any one who low balls some thing i consider special on some level receives. I simply cut & paste in to the replies.

I sell Captain Midnights very well. Have sold every issue I have ever listed. This is the only one I currently have.

I have now have 4600 items listed in that ebay store. There are another 45,000 more comics & such in this 4000 square foot warehouse yet to scan and list.

My feedback on eBay sez I must be doing most things right re grading, pricing, packaging, shipping in to over 37 countries world wide now. One can click on to the map of the world at the bottom of every one of my listings to see where.

I appreciate every order which has come in as I do seek to expand consciosuness that a bulk of the present cash flow is flowing towards healing Katy. She is very strong, a pride & joy in my life, is determined to beat this SJS thing, a source of inspiration to those around her, including myself.

After six hospital stays since mid December, some dozen doctors in various specialties consulted, there have been some - a few - answers found as it why she has been afflicted so.

Steps are being taken to try to insure a 7th hospital stay on this scenario never happens though we probably are not out of the woods yet. The phase being slowly entered in to now is dealing with the psychological damage this has engendered.

One last thing" I thank once again the CGC thread Mods who allowed my posting of my eBay store stuff in that "Forum Only" thread to hang there a few days a month or so back. I did not then know or understand the rules of the road for that section at first, I do now, and the cash flow which came in then which went almost all on Katy's medical trip was much appreciated. Those of you who responded from the heart, my heart felt appreciation will never stop.

I very rarely come in to the CGC forums any more for some years now, reasons extremely unimportant at this juncture, with the one main reason being an accute lack of time.

Already I have spent too many hours typing up recollections of the Reilly collection for researchers here who deem it important in their life to figure out the proper back story on this "pedigree" designation it has earned rather than scanning more stuff and filling orders to those who sent in bucks.

I hope consciousness has been expanded on the size & scope of the Reilly collection, the "what" it contained, whereas the "who" & "where" of it all will remain a bit murky most likely for ever. It has been "fun," guys. Take all the pot shots one wants, I am still standing. Now, tis back to the "real" world for me for a while again.

i bid "up" to 150, as i said above. you gotta start somewhere.

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT 23 7.0 FVF FAWCETT JAPANESE WAR PRISON ESCAPE HIGH GRADE

Your Counteroffer: $150.00

Buy It Now price: $240.00

Quantity: 1

Your terms: last offer i'll make. thanks.

Offer expires: Mar-29-13 18:36:11 PDT

Seller: blbcomics [contact seller]

damn, i just clicked on your link, and saw the $300 price; it was $240 yesterday. it got scarcer? new overstreet came out?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ hm

[font:Times New Roman]Billy, I think Bob has added a new wrinkle, the Beerbohm BIN premium, it's sorta like an auction house premium with the twist that it only pops up after someone makes an offer. :gossip:

Just teasin' Bob.[/font] :foryou:

Maybe some of you will learn one day "how" some aspects of eBay works:

1) list your item as Buy In Now Or Best Offer (which is what I do)

2) it is listed for 30 days

3) one can even make short term discount "sales" of various durations and scope. This CM #23 I listed out at $300 from day one.

My norm is a 20% short term duration semi store wide 'sale"

at which point I tighten up discounting further on many items

I would rather hang on to it and enjoy for a spell, allowing for quite a few lower grade items to filter out many a time as "bargains"

4) at the end of 30 days, items de-list on eBay and then have to be re-listed

5) one can either "re" list any given item, or not

6) About 30 books "fell out" last night, this CM #23 one of them

7) this Capt Midnight was re-listed along with the other 30 or so books last night

8) OK, so I forgot you made a third try up to a paltry $150 - I get in many offers daily on the vintage popular cutlure artifacts I list. Hundreds a week from all over the world. Just like the "big" guys in the biz. Imagine that.

9) I had come down to $200 "help" you out

- out of which i also pay eBay FVF much less a 'cost of goods' concept

10) I gladly paid more than $150 for this particular comic book

- tis a powerful cover denoting Japanese Americans supposedly making an escape from a USA concentration camp

- Have only had a few copies of this scarcer book in some 45+ years of doing the comics mail order gig.

11) have a great week end, one and all,

have fun with your pot shots, get a life,

and I know some just be teasing, -:)

I am still standing and growing stonger daily

12) back to work I go once again scanning more books

plus filling a steady stream of orders.

I thank one and all for sampling my wares.

Each order is very much appreciated.

PS If one uses an android type phone in order to try to conduct eBay business, much of the data which one would see in a laptop or table top computer simply drops out - so eBay tells me. I have learned to tell when some one is probably using an android "smart" phone based on the query they might send in which is 999 times out of a 1000 already in the description data I pump in to every listing. Your android phone is simply not that "smart" -:)

if you, a dealer, "gladly" paid more than $150 for that book, you need to better acquaint yourself to life in fawcett-land, outside of a few keys and raboy covers.

and nothing you could have done, even including accepting my last offer, would have "helped" me. bob, i don't collect non-raboy cover c. mids. i attempted to buy a book from you to help you out in light of the repeated invitations to boardies in this thread to contribute to kara's medical situation.