• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

I had a lengthy discussion with John Verzyl about the San Francisco collection last week. He talked to a few of the old-timers who were around when the collection was discovered and were apart of it. One guy said he thought the collection was about 800 books, another one thought it might be as high as 1200 books. John feels that there are probably no more than 400 or so that can be truly identified as a San Francisco Copy. These numbers seem to be about right to me.

Hi West,

There might be a few more than 400. Years back when Collectors were focussing on Church/MH copies I was researching and chatting with the original dealers that discovered or had 1/3 of the first part of the SF collection that were brought into the comic convention back in the 1970's. That part of the collection was then divided into three parts with 1/3 of them going up the the Minneapolis area. I have pages upon pages of research on this and I will have to dig them out.

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

Hi West,

There might be a few homer than 400. Years back when People were going after church copies I was researching and chatting to the original dealers that discovered or had 1/3 of the collection come into a comic convention. That part of the collection was then divided into three parts with 1/3 of them going up the the Minneapolis area. I have pages upon pages of research on this and I will have to dig them out.

Dwight

I'd love to see what you have!

Here's an example of SF quality. A CGC 9.8!

Beautiful, got any more SF Copies? :wishluck:

A few. Here's another one:

:o Beautiful!

Apparently Sandy's super-power was the ability to keep his hand from being blown off by backblast. doh!

Nice book, evidently I am on this thread as I just got a notification of this posting.

Calling these books from the Tom Reilly collection "San Francisco" copies on the CGC slab label is plain ignorant, more like stupid,

and demonstrates such stupidity on the part of this CGC firm.

Also, most, and mean MOST, of this collection of approx 4000 comic books in toto did not have either any Gilbot front cover markings and/or the anchor stamp on the back.

But what do I know, I only was the main buyer and the main seller of some 7/9s of this collection back in the day when it was discovered literally 40 years ago in 1973 next month in April, though techincally Easter Week End.

Also, if the Tom Reilly copy of Military Comics #15 ever surfaces, it was stolen from Bud Plant, so he told me a year or so back.

Nice book, evidently I am on this thread as I just got a notification of this posting.

Calling these books from the Tom Reilly collection "San Francisco" copies on the CGC slab label is plain ignorant, more like stupid,

Also, most, and mean MOST, of this collection of approx 4000 comic books in toto did not have either any Gilbot front cover markings and/or the anchor stamp on the back.

But what do I know, I only was the main buyer and the main seller of some 7/9s of this collection back in the day when it was discovered literally 40 years ago in 1973 next month in April, though techincally Easter Week End.

Also, if the Tom Reilly copy of Military Comics #15 ever surfaces, it was stolen from Bud Plant, so he told me a year or so back.

Would you be able to elaborate or direct me to where you have elaborated on this point in the past? As I understand it, there is some doubt about who Tom Reilly was or even whether he existed. hm

Would you be able to elaborate or direct me to where you have elaborated on this point in the past? As I understand it, there is some doubt about who Tom Reilly was or even whether he existed. hm

The historical record pretty clearly shows that the Tom that died at sea in WWII is not the Tom from SF. The Tom from SF was not the Tom whose signature shows up on the pedigree books.

I think both nearmint and I have done a lot of research on this. I'm of the opinion that the seller did not present a 100% factual account of the books or that something was misunderstood in the translation.

But they are still wonderful books.

The historical record pretty clearly shows that the Tom that died at sea in WWII is not the Tom from SF. The Tom from SF was not the Tom whose signature shows up on the pedigree books.

I think both nearmint and I have done a lot of research on this. I'm of the opinion that the seller did not present a 100% factual account of the books or that something was misunderstood in the translation.

But they are still wonderful books.

I thought I remembered reading something along those lines. Thanks.