• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me identitfy the grades on these ASM keys

16 posts in this topic

I have a couple of qusetions for you grading experts out there in reference to

some ASM keys in my collection. These three books have three different errors.

I'm sure all of you have seen these errors in some form or another and I didn't know what

counts off of a grade more or less with these.

All of these books were bought from a LCS at one time or another.

One of things that I hope is that they somewhat fit into the VF area or close to it,

because that is the quota I have placed on my collection run of ASM's. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On all of these books, the insides are awesome, bright, no tears, folding etc.

Any help would be grateful!! thumbsup2.gif

Here is my ASM 129 front- Smudge Error (note the couple of smudges, especially the one in the bullet flash above spidey's right thigh - These don't show on the the other side of the front cover):

asm129front.jpg

Here is the back of 129:

asm129back.jpg

Here is my ASM 121 front - Water wrinkle press (down on the lower right of the cover - this does show through to the back side of the front cover but doesn't show in to any of the inside pages - I wonder if someone tried to do a color touch and failed):

asm121front.jpg

Here is the back of 121:

asm121back.jpg

Here is my ASM 122 (the best of all three) front - Small corner nick coming up

asm122front.jpg

Here is the back of 121:

asm122back.jpg

Nice set of Spidey Key Books 893applaud-thumb.gif

My guess from what I see

129 - 8.0

121 - 7.0

122 - 9.0

Thanks I've picked these up over the years as great deals...

ASM 129 I bought for $150 (tax included) at a LCS about six months ago

ASM 122 I bought for $40 (tax included) at a Comic Con about three years ago

ASM 119 I bought for $35 (tax included) at a LCS about five years ago.

One of the things that I thought about when it came to issue 121

with the water indention error on the cover - You never know that could of been a real fan's tears

because Man that was one saaaad story!!!

Sniff! Sniff! I miss Gwen!! crazy.gif

The first two look like low end VFs; 7.5s

The 122 looks VF+ 8.5, but if that tear at the top right is deemed a production defect by CGC I could see them going to the 9.0/9.2 range.

Maybe 8.0-8.5 on the #129. Kind of looks like there might be some non-color breaking bends in the lower right corner. Hard to tell from a scan.

If the #121 has water damage, I could see CGC giving the book something in the 4.0-6.0 range. Quite simply, water damage is NOT natural. Certain defects are more natural (i.e. slight bending or creasing of overhang) and therefore don't downgrade a book as much as UNNATURAL wear.

The #122 looks very nice. But the crease in the right hand corner is weird (if it's not a production flaw). It's really too thick to be a crease. Maybe a 8.5-9.0 assuming it's not a production flaw.

Send them to CGC. That's really the best way to learn to grade books better. thumbsup2.gif

129 FN/VF 7.0. There appears to be a long crease that runs through the "N" in Spider-Man on the cover. That may send it even lower than a 7.0 IMO.

121 FN 6.0

122 VF+ 8.5 Nice book! Too bad about the URH corner.

One of the things that is mind-boggling to me is that this

ASM 121 does have some type of water bubbling/indentions on the cover,

but this isn't appearent in any of the rest of the book.

You would tkink with this error so obvious it would go through

to the interior of the book.

That is why I though it to be some type of failed restoration.

Who knows, has any one seen this in a comic where

the cover has a serious flaw but insides look like a totally different book.

What could it be?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My grades are pretty much in line with everyone else, but....

#129 8.0

#121 6.0

#122 8.5

I would send in the 129 and the 122, but I don't think I would spend the money grading the 121 unless you are trying to flip it or add it to a registry set. thumbsup2.gif

ASM 129: Looks not too bright as some copies I have. Could be slightly faded. The yellow cover background has inconsistent brightness - look at the left side of the comic vs. lower right side. Right side marks, top staple??? Corners are not sharp. Back cover: piece of dirt left middle. Final grade: VF 7.5.

ASM 121: Large marks( water stains?) lower right side...color flecks MJ frame, Spidey's right foot. Cover is slightly Off-Center( vs. miswrap). 7 chips off bottom. Back cover: slightly dirty, 5 chips off the bottom. Final grade: VG/F 5.0.

ASM 122: the best of the 3. Front cover: Both right corners have "doggeared" corners, but slight. Not as bad as most comics that have doggeared corners. Lower right chip. Top staple has a slight protrusion problem. Color fleck on Goblin's hat. Gloss looks superior according to scan. I think you meant to type " Back of 122" instead of 121. Final grade: VF 8.0.

CAL hi.gif