• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Considering switching collection strategy

47 posts in this topic

I refuse to switch to trades. I like singles, and I don't mind paying a bit more to hopefully ensure they will keep printing comics. If they switch to just trades I will sell it all and walk away. Trades are going to eventually destroy the back issue market.

I refuse to switch to trades. I like singles, and I don't mind paying a bit more to hopefully ensure they will keep printing comics. If they switch to just trades I will sell it all and walk away. Trades are going to eventually destroy the back issue market.

$3.99 an issue is going to destroy the market for monthlies.

The only problem I have with waiting for the TPB - or in my case, waiting until I have the whole series - is that it seems that you miss out on the whole waiting-to-see-what-happens-next-issue effect. I really do miss that from when I was younger.

Even with trades, you have to wait until your next trip to the bathroom.

It has for me.

I don't think so. People don't pay tens, hundreds or thousands of dollars for a comic because they want to read the story. People will pay several thousand dollars for a first print of TMNT 1 when they can get a second or later print for a tiny fraction of the price.

Yep! (thumbs u

Indeed, it certainly did make me drop all my marvel monthlies

Pat, I don't disagree with you that trades ARE going to impact the back issue market. Heck, I'd take it further and add digital comics to the equation. Frankly, the market for floppies in general is not looking good. It probably doesn't help that much of the hottest talent out there is really pushing the boundaries on new methods of delivering their stories to new readers that doesn't include the monthly floppy. I don't think they'll ever stop publishing monthly hard copies altogether, but the buzz really seems to be about revamping the model to make more money and reach more people. Not saying that's a good or bad thing--but it is going on. In part, I do think a lot of it has to do with that high price point. If they can find another medium for less (and thereby bring in more customers and increase profits), they're going to do that.

On the plus side, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the back market see a much stronger resurgence in values for hit titles over time if this were to happen as a result of the lower print runs.

Right now I only have one small box full of comics since I just started collecting again.

With my local comic shop I'm subscribed to about six or seven different comics, and I also tend to buy loose odds and ends. The vast majority of these comics will not go up in value and I'm getting really poor bang for my buck as far as reading time.

BUT, I did buy the Walking Dead trade copies (mostly from Amazon for $8.23 a pop) and I got many hours worth reading enjoyment out of them. It's still not cheap but it works out to about $1.37 per issue.

Now I'm stuck waiting for the next issue of Walking Dead to come out, another 3 bucks for a quick read and then another month wait.

I just bought and received Invincible Compendium which contains 47 complete issues for $40.61 on Amazon. That works out to $0.86 per issue!

So I'm thinking about switching just to trade paperbacks for comics I want to read, then buying individual comics I want to collect. Does anyone else do this?

Exactly ! (thumbs u

I only read a few titles, WD and Invincible among them. Other than the occassional book to try it out, I only focus on key issues in high grade for my collection....Then I usually sell the trades after I read them. They takeup alot of room and I never reread them..

I find re-reading comics in my collection to be fun :shrug: I re-read Sandman Mystery Theater regularly. I re-read Y this past January and am about to pull out my run of Starman for a re-read and will read DMZ over once it ends. If one truly collects series for the stories, re-reading them is a great pleasure.

I guess whoever said that he still gets the thrill of reading it as it happens nailed down another reason I still buy the floppies. I like to stay current on series through reading or listening to podcasts about moderns and enjoy being up on series as they get discussed. I am sure they are going to trade the recent Rocketeer Adventures anthology mini but it was fun looking forward to the next installment, esp. as folks kept on raving about it online ... and the series really delivered. I can use that kind of excitement (sp?) in my collecting. Better than when I add a Western Dell to the collection.

Publishers will never be able to turn into a TPB only bussiness. The amount of material needed to fill a trade is far greater than a floppy and therefore would require a much larger investment in a title before being able to gauge the interest in it. The size and price of a single issue is based on a risk assessment of how much money a publisher can sacrifice before knowing if a title can be commercially viable or not. Floppies aren't going anywhere. Both formats are needed for a successful bussiness model.

I don't pay $3.99, I dont even pay $2.99?? I get 35% off I think it is, and everyting comes bagged and boarded..

I never paid $3.99, even when they were $3.99, which they stopped fairly quick.

Right now I only have one small box full of comics since I just started collecting again.

With my local comic shop I'm subscribed to about six or seven different comics, and I also tend to buy loose odds and ends. The vast majority of these comics will not go up in value and I'm getting really poor bang for my buck as far as reading time.

BUT, I did buy the Walking Dead trade copies (mostly from Amazon for $8.23 a pop) and I got many hours worth reading enjoyment out of them. It's still not cheap but it works out to about $1.37 per issue.

Now I'm stuck waiting for the next issue of Walking Dead to come out, another 3 bucks for a quick read and then another month wait.

I just bought and received Invincible Compendium which contains 47 complete issues for $40.61 on Amazon. That works out to $0.86 per issue!

So I'm thinking about switching just to trade paperbacks for comics I want to read, then buying individual comics I want to collect. Does anyone else do this?

Is your LCS "The Dragon's Lair" off of Yadkin? I used to shop there years ago, was wondering if they were still in business.

I just checked my last invoice from my online order place and I am paying 1.85 for a 2.99 issue. Of course there is shipping involved which equated to just over 10.00 for 42 items, so it increases the price ever so slightly.

Guns and Dinos #1 was a special price...that was 75 cents.

There are opportunities out there to get these things at the prices you are comfortable with and keep supporting this great form of pop culture at the same time.

I wonder if some people just use the 2.99 and 3.99 price point to hide behind because once they read some then they might actually have to admit they like modern books :baiting: