• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does This Look like a 9.6? JIM 110

36 posts in this topic

The answer would be no.

Without the dust shadow the three corners and small crease at the bottom staple would make it more of a 9.4. While CGC may not punish a grade for a FC dust shadow like that, to me that makes as much sense as not downgrading for a small stain or foxing, especially in the NM grades. Still, it's not like the flaws aren't obvious to any one who looks at a scan.

It's due to issues like this, along with PQ and miswraps, that not all books of a grade are equal.

+1

It's a nice book I'd have a hard time calling a 9.4, but all because of the paper quality. That's my issue about PQ, CGC's OW/W does not mean much if the edges are tanning.

Some part of inspecting a book in hand for grading should include identifying the worst paper quality. That should do two things, first it should be factored into the grade, but at the very least the paper quality rating should fairly represent that worst part of the book PQ. To me any tanning or dust shadow suggests a lesser paper quality than a standard "White" or "Off White to White".

I could see that book getting a 9.4, but that's my pulling something from the grade besides nothing. For that to be a 9.6 book, with the soft corners as mentioned, it must have nearly perfect PQ, no dust shadows.

That's my issue about PQ, CGC's OW/W does not mean much if the edges are tanning.

Yep. White pages but cover tanning? Ouch.

Well, premising CGC graders are of course human and there can’t be "algebric precision" in grading, taking all into account, it seems to me that maybe the Suscha news pedigree books took a lot of not-so-deserved love… hm

I am constantly staring at this otherwise near perfect FF.

FF_67_Su.jpg

Larger version of image is here (corners are awesome, but… ugh!).

There is a small corner crunch on the bottom front left. As well as the writing inside the fantastice four logo top left. Pair this with a bit of a miswrap, plus if there is anything on the back.

Call it "a bit of a miswrap". :P

The small corner crunch becomes irrelevant to me as I see such things… :sick:

The JiM Thor at least is well-centered. If they were the same book, I would chose that Thor over that FF a lot of times, even if they aren’t NM/M… :)