• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil #190 cover

144 posts in this topic

I would have thought it may reach $45K but with a high reserve it probably won't sell

The first DD cover with Elektra to hit public auction, (and one of the most memorable "key issue" covers at that)? And you think it will sell for as little as a good Dark Knight panel page?!? I strongly disagree.

cough cough :baiting:

If you look in the comiclink art for sale section (not auctions) the DD 190 cover can be bought for 80k!

link

Malvin

clink shows a pending sale at 45k. assuming that's correct someone must have taken one heck of a haircut!

I am pretty conservative on pricing and, even to me, that feels like a pretty large steal to me at that price.

Really? Seems about right to me. Did you see the actual jpgs of the two separate boards? The picture of the cover that they are showing on clink is a bit of photoshop or rather superimposed magic, it doesn't actually look like that.

If you look in the comiclink art for sale section (not auctions) the DD 190 cover can be bought for 80k!

link

Malvin

clink shows a pending sale at 45k. assuming that's correct someone must have taken one heck of a haircut!

I am pretty conservative on pricing and, even to me, that feels like a pretty large steal to me at that price.

I really liked the cover and decided early on to bid, but I wanted to spend some time and find out how much of this cover is actually Miller. I received the information I needed to make an informed decision to pass on this cover.

link

Malvin

I really liked the cover and decided early on to bid, but I wanted to spend some time and find out how much of this cover is actually Miller. I received the information I needed to make an informed decision to pass on this cover.

There's always that too. lol

Assuming it's all Miller it seems light.

If it's not 100% him, passing was probably the wisest move.

link

Malvin

I thought this cover was by Frank Miller. Is there information to the contrary?

link

Malvin

(shrug) No idea. I always thought it was.

I would have thought it may reach $45K but with a high reserve it probably won't sell

The first DD cover with Elektra to hit public auction, (and one of the most memorable "key issue" covers at that)? And you think it will sell for as little as a good Dark Knight panel page?!? I strongly disagree.

cough cough :baiting:

:acclaim:

It is 100% pencilled by Miller and inked by Janson on the 2 boards as shown in the auction. There is positively no information to the contrary and simply rumored by people not informed correctly about the art.

ALL of Miller's cover were pencilled on comic art board. NONE were drawn on 8 1/2 x 11 paper and then blown up and inked by Klaus.

I was Klaus's art agent at the time and saw most, if not all the covers at that time.

MI

It is 100% pencilled by Miller and inked by Janson on the 2 boards as shown in the auction. There is positively no information to the contrary and simply rumored by people not informed correctly about the art.

ALL of Miller's cover were pencilled on comic art board. NONE were drawn on 8 1/2 x 11 paper and then blown up and inked by Klaus.

I was Klaus's art agent at the time and saw most, if not all the covers at that time.

MI

Positively no information to the contrary? Rumoured by people not informed correctly about the art? Really, Mitch?

When I first saw this piece back in October, I was very interested, but needed some information in order to determine my max bid so I contacted Spencer and asked him if he could forward a few questions to Klaus on my behalf. The email conversation follows:

"HIya, Spencer:

The original cover art to DD190 is up for auction and I was wondering if you could ask Klaus how much of it was his work vs Miller.

For example, did Miller provide only rough breakdowns (done on 8.5x11 sketch paper?), with Klaus doing finished pencils and inks? Any help would be beneficial"

FROM KLAUS ... Spencer-I don't think that this was done on 8.5X11 paper as if I remember correctly, the covers were done full size- But since the cover was done on craf t-tint, Frank did the pencils on regular cover stock and I redreww it or traced it onto craft tint paper and then inked it. Frank never penciled anything on craft tint. I was the one who used that and introduced it into the DD run. Hope that answers the questions.

KJ

I emphasized the key bit of Klaus' response that swayed my decision to pass on this cover.

Ouch. I suppose that this means that Daredevil #181 owned by David Mandel is 100% Janson...

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=536781&gsub=6082

I think that DD covers done with Craftint are #177, 181 and 190. But plenty of Miller/Janson covers in other titles were done like this, like the Amazing Spider-Man annual #15 cover:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/RvDKmiyDK-I/AAAAAAAACvE/svMOQd2P5S0/s1600/MillerFrankSppmAnn15cvr.jpg

The same goes for the Elektra story published in Bizarre Adventures:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/R6r1PPHS44I/AAAAAAAADbE/KtB48w5Y6Lk/s1600/MillerFrankBizarreAdventures.jpg

This will be a more devasting bomb than Kirby's fake recreations...

Positively no information to the contrary? Rumoured by people not informed correctly about the art? Really, Mitch?

When I first saw this piece back in October, I was very interested, but needed some information in order to determine my max bid so I contacted Spencer and asked him if he could forward a few questions to Klaus on my behalf. The email conversation follows:

"HIya, Spencer:

The original cover art to DD190 is up for auction and I was wondering if you could ask Klaus how much of it was his work vs Miller.

For example, did Miller provide only rough breakdowns (done on 8.5x11 sketch paper?), with Klaus doing finished pencils and inks? Any help would be beneficial"

FROM KLAUS ... Spencer-I don't think that this was done on 8.5X11 paper as if I remember correctly, the covers were done full size- But since the cover was done on craf t-tint, Frank did the pencils on regular cover stock and I redreww it or traced it onto craft tint paper and then inked it. Frank never penciled anything on craft tint. I was the one who used that and introduced it into the DD run. Hope that answers the questions.

KJ

I emphasized the key bit of Klaus' response that swayed my decision to pass on this cover.

Well, Klaus is wrong. Frank did pencil on craftint.

Daredevil Marvel Poster

Center Spread from Daredevil Chronicles

Both of which Klaus inked.

Frank also drew the Bizarre Adventures Elektra story and some of the splashes in the Elektra books on craftint, of which Klaus did not ink.

And I'm holding in my hands the cover to Daredevil #177, which was drawn on craftint, pencilled on the board by Frank and inked by Klaus.

David Mandel is a lot smater than to buy a cover that Klaus pencilled and inked and try to be passed off as Miller.

And I will talk to Lynn Varley, who was married to Frank to confirm that Frank pencilled the covers on the board.

Nope, Klaus is wrong.

MI

I just looked at the #177 cover.

There is a note at the bottom, in Frank's handwriting, that says "Klaus: No tone on Daredevil"

I truly doubt Klaus would write a note to himself on the art, in Frank's handwriting.

Proving that Klaus might thinks he did more than he actually did.

MI