• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil #190 cover

144 posts in this topic

I was pointing out, to the absurd, that simply because a piece of artwork is compiled from more than one piece of bristol, or a multi media piece, doesn't necessarily make it horrible.

This is the only art for the image that turned into that "great" cover on the stands. Unless the piece was a stat, or unless the piece smelled irrevocably of Tuna and dirty ashtray, I am having a hard time understanding why the art beginning on two boards and becoming a single piece is a deal breaker in this instance.

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for me, though if I were interested in it, I'd certainly prefer to have the art all on one board. Yes, the stat overlay was very nicely done, but really only the DD image is original if you're displaying it with the overlay, while the original Elektra art would be tucked in a portfolio somewhere else. Not the end of the world, but worthy of some kind of discount I think, one of a kind or not.

I totally ignored the description of the piece. I thought the original Elektra was placed on top of the original DD image.

I agree...discount is in order.

I was pointing out, to the absurd, that simply because a piece of artwork is compiled from more than one piece of bristol, or a multi media piece, doesn't necessarily make it horrible.

This is the only art for the image that turned into that "great" cover on the stands. Unless the piece was a stat, or unless the piece smelled irrevocably of Tuna and dirty ashtray, I am having a hard time understanding why the art beginning on two boards and becoming a single piece is a deal breaker in this instance.

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for me, though if I were interested in it, I'd certainly prefer to have the art all on one board. Yes, the stat overlay was very nicely done, but really only the DD image is original if you're displaying it with the overlay, while the original Elektra art would be tucked in a portfolio somewhere else. Not the end of the world, but worthy of some kind of discount I think, one of a kind or not.

I totally ignored the description of the piece. I thought the original Elektra was placed on top of the original DD image.

I agree...discount is in order.

I misunderstood as well - I agree that makes it a little less desirable. Though if you frame the cover with the overlay and keep the original Elektra somewhere it probably doesn't matter too much, but it certainly isn't ideal either.

I don't get hung up on how the piece is put together as long as the final product is real, original, and well done.

I'm with you, generally. However, in this case, it doesn't matter if the cover is in one piece or two pieces...it's just not that great to begin with. Sorry. I don't see how anyone who claims to be into Miller DD could call #190 one of "the 3 best covers in the run". Unless they had some interest in the auction doing well. In which case they'd be a shill.

Wouldn't be the first time.

hm

Agree on the 174 actually...I forgot about that cover, which was actually the first Miller issue I read...I do place that in the top 3-which would then make my top 3 in this order:

181- no doubt, best of the best

179- sorry, but this really is a MUCH better cover than you give it credit for

174-Gladiator=bonus

I just don't see the 168 cover as being visually "great"...maybe because I didn't buy it on the stands, but I do think it's historic, and that's what would make it go for more than the 188 if they were head-to-head at auction.

Mind you, we're talking the best covers with Elektra on them though, because if we went further into the entire run, I'd have to say 160, 161 easily rank pretty darn high.

While we're at it:

worst 3-

185, 186, 187...and yeah, I told Miller that personally...it was not well recieved.

Agree on the 174 actually...I forgot about that cover, which was actually the first Miller issue I read...I do place that in the top 3-which would then make my top 3 in this order:

181- no doubt, best of the best

179- sorry, but this really is a MUCH better cover than you give it credit for

174-Gladiator=bonus

While we're at it:

worst 3-

185, 186, 187...and yeah, I told Miller that personally...it was not well recieved.

Love, LOVE 179. And I agree with you on 185, 186, 187... though I would take any of them

You know, what's funny is that this cover sold privately over the summer for six figures. So either that deal was undone, or this is an extreme case of buyer's remorse/collector ADD.

DAREDEVIL #190 PAGE COVER - The Auction Has Ended

Item description:

Classic Elektra Resurrection Cover!

Primary Artist Name: FRANK MILLER

Secondary Artist Name: KLAUS JANSON

Last Bid: $31,000 :eek: (Reserve Not Met)

End Date: 11/17/2011 10:46:33 PM

Auction Estimate: $90,000+ :o

Note to self: do not try and flip a 6-figure purchase in just a few months in a bad economy. :doh:

If you look in the comiclink art for sale section (not auctions) the DD 190 cover can be bought for 80k!

link

Malvin

I don't know what the reserve was, but let's say $80K. What I'm surprised didn't happen, was for the cover to be bid up to $79K (or one bid increment below the reserve). And then, after reserve not being met, show up for sale at $80K.

This is typically what happens. Certain lots get mysteriously and conveniently bid up just shy of the reserve to create an illusion of demand and value. Based on previous threads here, a lot of collectors fall for this...which is why it happens so often.

In this case, kudos to the consignor for not playing this game. That's high praise for this hobby.

There were a few OA pieces that looked like they were in the bid drop of doom though tactic. :grin: Though I don't think anyone hit the magic bid.

I haven't the slightest idea what this means. ???

Sorry, it means that auction items on comiclink are bid up to one increment before the reserve by "interested parties" cough shills cough. This is done with the hope that slightly, or not so slightly larger reserve prices might get tripped by people thinking that the action on an item is legit.

That's what i get for posting quick at work. :sorry:

Sorry, it means that auction items on comiclink are bid up to one increment before the reserve by "interested parties" cough shills cough. This is done with the hope that slightly, or not so slightly larger reserve prices might get tripped by people thinking that the action on an item is legit.

That's what i get for posting quick at work. :sorry:

I thought it was some hip, new, street slang and I didn't want to seem (even more) white and nerdy. :blush:

oreilly-javascript-in-weird-al-yankovic-white-and-nerdy-music-video.jpg

Just this year I started pronouncing "Fitty Cent" the right way, but I still put it in quotes. I have a long way to go.

Just this year I started pronouncing "Fitty Cent" the right way, but I still put it in quotes. I have a long way to go.

damn, I thought it was "Fiddy Cent", I'm even more out of touch.

Dammit...I think you've got it right...back to the drawing board. :sorry:

I think both DD covers that were up for sale recently went pretty low compared to other Miller DD that we've seen over the last few years (#188 in particular, but that really was a beautiful cover), but I would imagine that's because there's just been a glut of Miller art released into the market lately. Basic supply and demand. Still, the #190 is a personal fave.

I was however very pleased to see the Ronin #1 page get a decent bid as that really is some great art that is not usually offered around...

If you look in the comiclink art for sale section (not auctions) the DD 190 cover can be bought for 80k!

link

Malvin

clink shows a pending sale at 45k. assuming that's correct someone must have taken one heck of a haircut!