• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971 comic book ads

32 posts in this topic

Go back in time with me if you will to 1971... the year I was born... The following ads were published in a comic book fanzine called Rocketblast Comicollector #80 which came out some time in April 1971. I got that particular issue because of the Dr. Strange cover, but couldn't help but start drooling over what you could have gotten if you had a little extra spending money back then... Enjoy!

ad1.gif

ad2.gif

ad3.gif

Go back in time with me if you will to 1971... the year I was born... The following ads were published in a comic book fanzine called Rocketblast Comicollector #80 which came out some time in April 1971. I got that particular issue because of the Dr. Strange cover, but couldn't help but start drooling over what you could have gotten if you had a little extra spending money back then... Enjoy!

ad1.gif

ad2.gif

ad3.gif

X-Men #'s 1 - 65 sold as a lot for $30!!!! 893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

I was also born in 1971 (June)...always happy to see something from the year I was born! thumbsup2.gif

That Howard Rogofsky sheet post-dates mine, cause when I bought my Avengers #1 from him it only cost $5, not $9. That was in 1967.

And no, that book is loooooonnnnnggggg gone! sorry.gif

Even in the early-80's, most of the Silver Age Marvels were pretty inexpensive, and really only took off in the last half of that decade.

but i didnt have a job then!! 893frustrated.gif

That TOS #39 seemed to be selling for a decent high price of $8 , compared to the others listed.

I was 6 years old in 71, and actually had a few comics I chewed on.

Archies( sorry Hepster)

And a few Richie Rich.

I remember going to Ben Franklin, getting penny candy and a few comics.

cloud9.gif

I can still remember when Wolvie really hit it, walking through a Con and shielding my ears from the dealers screaming "Hulk 181 - Thirty Dollars - NM Condition! Thirty Dollars!".

That was waaaaaay before First Appearances had started to take off, and I thought that was a bit steep. And it kind of was, compared to what you could buy back then for $30, like a stack of ASM 129's.

" Got my first real six-string...... "

let me guess...you bought it at the five and dime? grin.gif

Awww shoot, when I read the title of this thread, I thought

you guys were going to start discussing the negative aspects

of exploding gum and x-ray glasses on our culture! grin.gif

you might not have been around for this one

I made awhile back.

Stuff we bought from comics thread

Even back then, Iron Man & Submariner #1 was the castoff no one wanted...

Iron Man #1 2.50

Iron Man & Submariner #1 1.25

A couple of things:

1) I have a bunch of RBCCs. I'll post some other prices. The scary ones are the price of Golden Age. Yikes. Remember, however, that those prices are in 1971 dollars, so you need to factor the inflation of the past 33 years. Also don't forget that people MADE a whole lot less in 1971.

2) Silver Age Marvel blew up in 1980(?) 1981(?) somewhere around there. X-Men was very late to the party - I bought an X-Men 1 from Moondog in Chicago in 1979 for $75 that would probably grade a VF+ now.

3) Grading was MUCH MUCH MUCH looser in 1971 than it was now. A MINT then might be a VF- now.

4) Incredible Hulk 181 blew up a lot earlier than J_C is remembering.

like he said.

Back then a great staring salary was $15K a year - - a fat $300 a week jack!!!

and youd cash a check for a weeks spending money - - $20!!

and, most importantly, ALL books were in MINT condition!! Think of Chuckles NM/M books youve bought - - thats what youd get and be happy just to have located the comics!! No LCS.. very very few conventions either....