• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classic Magazine cover thread

249 posts in this topic

Shiver nice Psychos!

Anyone ever notice the artists swipe/influence for the cover of Psycho 17 was Smith's wonderful makeup from the 1961 movie "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?

475531-Psycho%2317.jpg

475531-Dorian%20Gray.jpg

589a8c676214e_475531-DorianGray.jpg.49176ab748280dd7a7dcfb37073cb288.jpg

Thanks, since that book is out of reach (for now) of my price range I decided to enjoy it on these boards!

Sorry, nothing to post today as I'm on my way to a wedding but I am getting in a NICE mag next week that I will share!

ArAich love that Tales of the Zombie Annual thumbsup2.gif

That issue was a hard one for me to find to complete my run. Nice copy!

The Pablo Marcos art was stunning in some of those issues!

cloud9.gif476013-FF%20004.jpg

I like the layout, but it looks like Ken Steacy(sp?) did the inking. Or maybe it was all painted and justs looks different from his normal stuff. Not one of Steranko's best works.

Frazetta.... cloud9.gif

e023.jpg

One of the nicest covers! The girl is great but man...THAT MARBLE PILLAR! shocked.gif

I've seen the original art to that cover at the Frazetta Museum in East Stroudsburge, PA. To my suprize most of the original artwork was not much larger than the printed covers.

There's a marble pillar in that picture? 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

No pillar to distract here! hi.gif

Well, I'll do you one better...no pillar *and* no clothes to distract, here! 893whatthe.gif (This is the Vampi #1 cover after Frazetta painted over the original, saying he hated the costume).

394010-Frazetta%20Vampi%201%20Cover%20Painted%20Over.jpg

sanjulian beauty

cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Sanjulian is so underappreciated it's not funny. At his best, only Frazetta among his peers could rival him, and there are those who will swear that Sanjulian was better. He went on to do fine art paintings after his Warren career and some of them are just breathtaking in their detail...if anything, he got even better with time.

I remember hearing something about this. A lot of people were getting upset that he started "touching up" some of his old pieces. I know they're his proporty, but I believe in when a piece of art is signed, it's done. No going back! If he wanted to change anything Frank could just re-paint the picture. (Just my two cents.)