• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classic Magazine cover thread

249 posts in this topic

Bravo 143ksk & Shiverbones!

This thread needed a boost and you gave it electroshock therapy.

The sad thing is I have a bunch of these titles but not any of the "over the top" ones. frown.gif

Thanks for sharing these.

PS: I think these make a great companion book to Archies! Now where did I put my Picto-Fiction glasses...

I've always had mixed feelings about those Eerie Publications mags. On one hand they outgore even the most outrageous pre-code books and shudder pulps (and I'm a sucker for those), but on the other hand they are so garish and repulsive, I could never bring myself to collect them, and sold the few that I had bought. I guess there can be too much of a bad thing.

I've always had mixed feelings about those Eerie Publications mags. On one hand they outgore even the most outrageous pre-code books and shudder pulps (and I'm a sucker for those), but on the other hand they are so garish and repulsive, I could never bring myself to collect them, and sold the few that I had bought. I guess there can be too much of a bad thing.

I know what you mean. True story: as a kid some of those stories made me feel so sick that I put these books away separate from the books I collected at the time. It wasn't until years later I looked upon them as potential collectables and could "stomach" their contents. They really seem silly now, but when I was a kid...Yeesh!

Not only is the execution (pardon the pun) poor, but the anatomy is often spotty as well. Sometimes it looks like someone looked something up in an anatomy book and other times things just aren't right. I'm pretty sure that the radius and ulna are not attached to the scapula for example!

But, for sheer over-the-topness, you just can't beat these books.

BTW if anyone has a list of issue numbers with these kinds of covers I would love to have it.