• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Adult Fantasy 14 Undervalued and Underappreciated?

15 posts in this topic

I'm still a comic newb and I just learned this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Fantasy

Issue #14 (July 1962) included a story entitled "The Man In The Sky",[2] in which a boy discovers he has unusual powers, then finds himself hated and hounded as a result. He is contacted telepathically by a man who tells him there are more like him, and who teleports the boy to his colony of mutants. The image of the man's face is identical to that of Professor Xavier as it would appear in The X-Men #1 (Sept. 1963). Lee said in 2010 he had a continuing series in mind when he wrote the story.[4]

To me this is huge. I've always considered X-Men 1 to be one of the most important comics for its role in shaping the Marvel universe. But it appears this short story inside AF 14 was the drawing board for it all!

Checking GPA it appears certified copies rarely hit the market and they are super cheap.

Grossly overlooked or am I missing something?

I learned about this when I was buying up silver age pre-hero monsters a few years back. I think it's kinda like the other pre-hero prototypes (Magneto, Hulk, etc). It's more like a cool bit of information, but I don't think it should make it significantly more valuable, since the rest of the X-men idea really wasn't there yet.

The whole title is incredibly cool and underappreciated, and there are a lot of story gems in these books. I don't know that #14 is undervalued because of the prototype angle, but I have always thought it was underappreciated for as rare and tough in grade as it is (it's not super common in any grade, and try finding one in Fine or better), plus it is the book that immediately preceeds AF #15.

But it appears this short story inside AF 14 was the drawing board for it all!

I think there's an decent amount of mutant mythos in that first story. I was quite surprised the first time I read it.

ManFromSky2.jpg

ManFromSky3.jpg

ManFromSky4.jpg

ManFromSky5.jpg

I think a good argument could be made for Strange Tales 97 as the most important prototype issue

I like it.

ST97.jpg

I think a good argument could be made for Strange Tales 97 as the most important prototype issue

I like it.

ST97.jpg

May and Ben prototypes aside - it's one of the cooler covers of the pre-hero era.

I'm still a comic newb and I just learned this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Fantasy

I've always considered X-Men 1 to be one of the most important comics for its role in shaping the Marvel universe. But it appears this short story inside AF 14 was the drawing board for it all!

Checking GPA it appears certified copies rarely hit the market and they are super cheap.

Grossly overlooked or am I missing something?

Vey cool info. I agree with you. X-men 1 was the origin for half of the Marvel Universe and most of many of its significant characters and titles today.

I like it.

ST97.jpg

May and Ben prototypes aside - it's one of the cooler covers of the pre-hero era.

I will agree with that statement. Any Kirby-end-of-the-world cover is ok in my book, but this one is the best -- it would have made a great movie poster!

I like it.

ST97.jpg

I will agree with that statement. Any Kirby-end-of-the-world cover is ok in my book, but this one is the best -- it would have made a great movie poster!

The cover story is also one of my very favorites. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u