• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Director Departs Dredd Movie

37 posts in this topic

Why, why , why , why , why , why is it so hard to make a good Dredd Movie.

Really, what is their problem? How hard can this be; one of the best characters in comics with 30+ years of stories to work with.

WTF??

I said the same thing about X-Men, Spider-Man etc etc etc...

To be honest if they made THE Dredd movie it would likely appeal to a very limited market....us...geeks. I mean really, Dredd is awsome but most of the feedback that I've gotten over the years from friends & co-workers has been less than stellar. The Dredd from the comics will never capture the dry, British, tougue-in-cheek humour that we all love. It will end up being another overblown, American action movie.

Definitely agree, and it is such a shame. What I think this will be? Watch a preview to the latest "Three Musketeers" :sick:

Take China Town, Bullitt, french connection, minority report, children of men, robocop (ok maybe not) add some zarjazz and away you go.

(you could even have a Canadian judge that they laugh at all the time)

Heh heh heh...zarjazz!

Thanks, Doc Joe! I forgot about the awesome power of zarjazz.

Borag Thungg, Earthlet

2000 AD and Dredd are Zarjaz

Dont be a Grexnix Nonscrot

You are ?

Quaequam Blag!

Rethink things; its Scrotnig to be a Squaxx dek Thargo

Splundig Vur Thrigg

Dont you just love Harry Potter and all those funny words? Wonder where she got them from. Sending a Rigellian Hotshot to JK Rowling now.

At this point, a new director cannot change the movie in a big way, only if he would do a new one. And letting producers take over, is in most cases the death of a movie. But maybe we get lucky this time.

You'd be shocked what can be changed in editing. There are 4 versions of Blade Runner I have seen and, other than looks, they almost completely different movies.

Same with Apocalypse Now.

A huge part of the director's vision is achieved in the editing room.

Until the movie comes out and we can see whether it sucks or whether it soars we must all heed the following advice....

At this point, a new director cannot change the movie in a big way, only if he would do a new one. And letting producers take over, is in most cases the death of a movie. But maybe we get lucky this time.

You'd be shocked what can be changed in editing. There are 4 versions of Blade Runner I have seen and, other than looks, they almost completely different movies.

Same with Apocalypse Now.

A huge part of the director's vision is achieved in the editing room.

Until the movie comes out and we can see whether it sucks or whether it soars we must all heed the following advice....

Only if the basic raw material is good enough like those 2 classics.

The different Blade Runner versions are completely different movies? Those minor changes and a different ending do not make different movies.

The different Blade Runner versions are completely different movies? Those minor changes and a different ending do not make different movies.

Removing the narration changes the entire flow and feel of that film.

Also the unicorn scenes, extended and changed and the dialogue alter the perspective of Deckard from hunter, to replicant, to leaving doubts.

Huge swings in where the film is going and what it's telling you when it's main character may or may not be human.

Also the unicorn scenes, extended and changed and the dialogue alter the perspective of Deckard from hunter, to replicant, to leaving doubts.

Huge swings in where the film is going and what it's telling you when it's main character may or may not be human.

Harrison Ford felt that Deckard is not a replicant and hated the idea. He is both Han Solo and Indiana Jones, so whatever Ford says goes.

Harrison Ford felt that Deckard is not a replicant and hated the idea. He is both Han Solo and Indiana Jones, so whatever Ford says goes.

But it costs $650 for his signature, I am straying from his flock.

But it costs $650 for his signature, I am straying from his flock.

Oh can I get a Signature Series then?

:news: UPDATE!!!

Judge Dredd Filmmakers Release Official Statement :news:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/10/judge-dredd-filmmakers-release-official-statement-so-whats-going-on/

During all stages of the filmmaking, Dredd has been a collaboration between a number of dedicated creative parties. From the outset we decided on an unorthodox collaboration to make the film. This situation has been misinterpreted. To set the record straight, Pete was not fired and remains a central part of the collaboration, and Alex is not seeking a co-director credit. We are all extremely proud of the film we have made, and respectfully suggest that it is judged on viewing when its released next year.

Another update from EMPIRE

Dredd Director Denies Firing

Pete Travis is still the law

Rumblings started coming from the LA Times last week that director Pete Travis was facing some issues in the Dredd editing room and had been "asked to step aside". The news was leapt upon with glee by the fanboys who are perversely desperate for the film to fail, but Travis and screenwriter Alex Garland have now released a joint statement scotching the reports of Dredd's demise. Nothing to see here, perps. Move along.

Anonymous LA Times sources "close to the production" had reported that there were tensions and "creative disagreements" between the producers and executives in charge of rescuing Joe Dredd from the ignominy of the Stallone film. According to the story, writer/producer Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine) was running post-production alone, and seeking a co-director credit for his efforts. Potential reshoots were also mentioned, with a question mark over who'd man the cameras for them.

But, say Travis and Garland now, "During all stages of the filmmaking, Dredd has been a collaboration between a number of dedicated creative parties. From the outset we decided on an unorthodox collaboration to make the film. This situation has been misinterpreted. To set the record straight, Pete was not fired and remains a central part of the collaboration, and Alex is not seeking a co-director credit. We are all extremely proud of the film we have made, and respectfully suggest that it is judged on viewing when it's released next year."

The truth, or damage limitation? Are Travis and Garland the Reynolds and Costner of the 21st Century, or are they really the best of pals being misrepresented? We'll keep you updated on the drama.

Dredd, starring Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby, shot in the Mega-City of Cape Town, and is out next September.

"The news was leapt upon with glee by the fanboys who are perversely desperate for the film to fail"

WTF, I am really excited for this movie. I hope it captures the sprit of the comic and get the Sly taste out of my mouth... (out of context quote alert)

I held the blade in trembling hands

Prepared to make it but......

Just then the phone rang......

I never had the nerve to make the final cut.