• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider-Man

31 posts in this topic

I have totally dropped all new modern age books this past year but picked up Ultimate Spider-Man #1and #2 on a whim. I was blown away by the beautiful art ( the artist fully understands the use of negative space and gives your eye ample room to rest), and the touching Bendis storyline. This is a beautiful book. Any other people pick this up?

(worship)

I've been enjoying the new spidermans story so far though the timeline confuses me a bit ... hes a kid when he first gets powers yet he talks about recent MU events & in other comic we see him as teenager ...

The art is Amazing! (Err...Ultimate?). I wasn't going to pick it up but flipped through it and enjoyed the art. I was pretty satisfied after reading it. As long as Peter Parker is alive in the real Marvel U...I think I can hang with Miles.

I was never too big a fan of 2 Peter Parkers. So I don't really mind Miles as the new Spider-man. But I think maybe Ultimate Peter makes a comeback from the dead possibly around the time the new movie comes out lol

I read both issues. So far so good. Maybe starting a little slow but that's origins...got build a foundation.

I'm actually considering the possibility of following this title on a monthly basis versus waiting for the tpb. I bought the first four issues, read them on my Kindle Fire, and loved them. I was really impressed with Bendis and Pichelli's ability to tell a story with minimal use of the costume. While I realize it's a slow build, I definitely feel like it's moving the plot forward in terms of creating this young, new hero.

I AM disappointed in Ultimate Peter Parker's death, as I'd followed him through all 21 trades, Ultimatum, and I'd left off in the first trade volume of Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man. It's a character I'd really grown to enjoy reading about and watching him develop. Typically, I get pretty sick of seeing heroes return from the dead, but he is one I will be happy to see return... if Bendis chooses to go this route. If he does, I don't suspect it will be any time soon though. Besides, I want to see Miles get plenty of time on his own to become Spider-Man in his own right--not some clone. :eek:

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing where they take this character. I'm really hoping they use it to do more than provide simply hero "smash 'em up" story arcs, and fight some other battles instead.

I'm waiting for the TPB of the new USM. Read the first issue, and the Ultimate Fallout series, and I was a bit confused about the timeline as well. In Fallout Miles is in costume with powers, but in #1 he is just getting his power. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't do the whole "bitten by a genetically altered spider" like Peter, but they did. And having this special spider hang around the lab for, what, eleven months, just to slip randomly in a carrying bag? I don't mean to sound horribly negative, because the whole idea of a new Spider-Man intrigues me, but as much as I like Bendis' writing, it seems that each individual issue contains so little story that it isn't worth trying to read just one or two. Hence, I'm waiting for the TPB to give it an honest shot.

I'm actually considering the possibility of following this title on a monthly basis versus waiting for the tpb. I bought the first four issues, read them on my Kindle Fire, and loved them. I was really impressed with Bendis and Pichelli's ability to tell a story with minimal use of the costume. While I realize it's a slow build, I definitely feel like it's moving the plot forward in terms of creating this young, new hero.

I AM disappointed in Ultimate Peter Parker's death, as I'd followed him through all 21 trades, Ultimatum, and I'd left off in the first trade volume of Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man. It's a character I'd really grown to enjoy reading about and watching him develop. Typically, I get pretty sick of seeing heroes return from the dead, but he is one I will be happy to see return... if Bendis chooses to go this route. If he does, I don't suspect it will be any time soon though. Besides, I want to see Miles get plenty of time on his own to become Spider-Man in his own right--not some clone. :eek:

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing where they take this character. I'm really hoping they use it to do more than provide simply hero "smash 'em up" story arcs, and fight some other battles instead.

I agree with everything you've said here, I've always bought singles but I read them a few at a time. I liked the second storyline in the short lived (pre-issue 150) reboot better than the first one.

The return of ultimate PP would be welcomed by me also but I suspect the company may leave him dead while they double-up with the Kaine-Scarlet Spider thing in the real world. (yeah, I said that...)

If my theory is true, then I'm hoping this Scarlet Spider thing falls flat & they resurrect Ultimate Parker eventually :blush:

the variant cover to the next issue should cheer you up then
The whole first story arc seems to be taking place at the same time as the DOS story so I dunno if a variant cover is an indication of anything to changing.

Even though I want the original character back, the death was pretty well done so I'm not sure I'd be pleased with a quick return, I just found this fan made you tube thing if anyone's interested.

Pretty sure hes not really dead (big cover up so peter can have some what of a normal life ... or he is in some sort of spider type coma ... lol wouldn't bet he first time) ... I have no doubt as long as they don't kill off the ultimate universe he will be around again latter ... I am enjoying this new character as well & like how he is becoming spiderman & his reasons for it they are indeed doing a good job ... so far ... I also like how he has managed to interact with the parker family with out them even knowing it!

the variant cover to the next issue should cheer you up then
The whole first story arc seems to be taking place at the same time as the DOS story so I dunno if a variant cover is an indication of anything to changing.

Even though I want the original character back, the death was pretty well done so I'm not sure I'd be pleased with a quick return, I just found this fan made you tube thing if anyone's interested.

very nice

Pretty sure hes not really dead (big cover up so peter can have some what of a normal life ... or he is in some sort of spider type coma ... lol wouldn't bet he first time) ... I have no doubt as long as they don't kill off the ultimate universe he will be around again latter ... I am enjoying this new character as well & like how he is becoming spiderman & his reasons for it they are indeed doing a good job ... so far ... I also like how he has managed to interact with the parker family with out them even knowing it!

I think if they are going to bring Peter back (there was always some indication from Fury that he'd be a part of the Ultimates when he was older), I just hope they take their time with it. There is some real potential with Miles Morales, and they would undercut a lot of new readers who are looking at this character as representing them. William Foster III's "A Face Like Mine" comes to mind in relation to Morales as Spider-Man.

And I agree about the subtle connections from Miles to Peter. It is very much a passing of the torch from the one hero to the next--even if indirectly. Miles has his own moment of initially rejecting the hero's call, just as Peter did with both seeing the fatal results of this choice. I also appreciated Bendis' use of Gwen in having her deliver the call again to Miles through her reiterate Peter's role as hero and essentially remind Miles that it was time for him to step up.

Bendis and Pichelli have spent--in my mind--a good deal of time building backstory for Miles in order to make him more 3-dimensional. Pulling out now and bringing Peter back too soon would undercut much (if not all) of this storyline. I also think it could burn a few bridges for newer readers by reinforcing a message who really gets to be a Tier One hero... and that would probably be the biggest disservice for a series that could do so much more.

I think if they are going to bring Peter back (there was always some indication from Fury that he'd be a part of the Ultimates when he was older), I just hope they take their time with it. There is some real potential with Miles Morales, and they would undercut a lot of new readers who are looking at this character as representing them. William Foster III's "A Face Like Mine" comes to mind in relation to Morales as Spider-Man.

And I agree about the subtle connections from Miles to Peter. It is very much a passing of the torch from the one hero to the next--even if indirectly. Miles has his own moment of initially rejecting the hero's call, just as Peter did with both seeing the fatal results of this choice. I also appreciated Bendis' use of Gwen in having her deliver the call again to Miles through her reiterate Peter's role as hero and essentially remind Miles that it was time for him to step up.

Bendis and Pichelli have spent--in my mind--a good deal of time building backstory for Miles in order to make him more 3-dimensional. Pulling out now and bringing Peter back too soon would undercut much (if not all) of this storyline. I also think it could burn a few bridges for newer readers by reinforcing a message who really gets to be a Tier One hero... and that would probably be the biggest disservice for a series that could do so much more.

Well said. I'm a die hard spidey fan and even I am enjoying Bendis take on Miles. Let's see what this new kid can do. (thumbs u

I agree with everything said about the new Miles Morales storyline...

I'm shocked to say this, but I don't think they should bring back the Ultimate version of Peter Parker under any circumstances. He's alive and well in the 616 Universe. This new storyline needs to run its course.

2c