• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT POLL -- Favorite Sport as an onlooker

Favorite onlooker sport  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite onlooker sport

32 posts in this topic

I believe NASCAR (or car racing in general) is the top American spectator sport... confused-smiley-013.gif

This should embarrass Americans more than any other stupidity that we have.

Nope. You forgot Paris Hilton. She out-stupids them all!

The problem with basketball is that the season is so long. A regular season loss is next to meaningless. If it were structured the same way as College basketball it'd be far more fun, that'll never happen though.

Brian

All these sports OT threads in the main index are driving me up the wall,

Trying honey one more time.

So ANYWAY - without further fanfare or propaganda, my favorite sport as an onlooker is women's figure skating. Plain and simple.

RAIDERS, RAIDERS and RAIDERS

im gonna take a wild guess...your a Raiders fan? confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe NASCAR (or car racing in general) is the top American spectator sport... confused-smiley-013.gif

That's okay... the number 2 American spectator sport isn't on the list either... Figure Skating... foreheadslap.gif

For me, favorite sport is dependent on how much time I have available:

Favorite to watch one completely random regular season game on tv: Football

Favorite to watch one completely random regular season game in person: Hockey

Favorite to watch about 1/3 of the season's games for one team on tv: Basketball

Favorite to watch about 1/3 of the season's games for one team in person: Football

Favorite if I have time to follow a team's entire regular season on tv: Baseball

Favorite if I have time to follow a team's entire regular season in person: Basketball

Favorite to watch one random playoff series on tv: Basketball

Favorite to watch one random playoff series in person: Hockey

Favorite to watch the entire playoffs on tv: World Cup Soccer

Favorite to watch the entire playoffs in person: March Madness College Basketball

Favorite championship game/series to watch on tv: Hockey

Favorite championship game/series to watch in person: Hockey

I absolutely love baseball, but I cannot watch it casually. Seeing one random game every couple of weeks does nothing for me. I either need to be able to tell you every nuance of what has happened in the last month for both teams, or not watch it at all. From 1983 to 1992 I could tell you who the backup 2nd baseman was on every Major League team, and could tell you who the guy with the 14th best ERA in the league was at the drop of a hat. But I just don't have that kind of time any more. And sitting down to watch random games just frustrates me...

With football, I can casually watch a random game and not really care who the players are that I am watching. From playing so much Madden and NCAA on the PS2, I stopped needing to know who was who long ago. I can spend an afternoon in the stands just watching one outside linebacker and enjoy the game. I sit in the stands for about 8-10 college games each year, and will occasionally go watch a high school game that I have no connection to at all. Don't know any of the kids, just there to watch some football.

I cannot casually watch regular season NBA basketball. It's alright following one team and seeing a game each week on tv, and following their progressions. But I will flip right past a regular season game on the tube. But NBA Basketball is my number one choice for season tickets, barely edging out NHL Hockey. I have had season tickets to both, and I enjoy each of the hockey games more, but I enjoy the flow of the season more with basketball, because it is less dependent on the play of one player. There are fewer times when you walk down to your seat and just know that your team is going to lose because one player is still in a slump. That happens to every hockey fan...

I had season tickets to the Dallas Stars their first year after the move from Minnesota. At the time I bought the tickets I had been to exactly two games in person. I was at the 5th game ever played by the Sharks, in the Cow Palace against the Bruins. (A 3600 mile college roadtrip just to see the game, no other reason for the trip. It was the most insane thing I ever did in college, and those 75 hours are among my finest memories. We literally drove 36 hours straight there, saw the game, turned around and drove 35 hours straight back.) And I went to a Kings game around the time of Magic Johnson's first retirement ceremony. By my fourth game in person I was a hockey fan for life, and for the rest of my life, if there is an NHL team within 300 miles I will be a season-ticket holder for one. I commuted 230 miles each way every game for the Stars... Unfortunately my closest option here is over 350 miles away and across an international border. frown.gif My only frustration with having season tickets for hockey is that when your netminder is in a slump you wind up with games that you know you have no chance whatsoever from the moment you walk in. And that can make for some ugly weeks, forcing yourself to make time to watch what you know will be a loss... But oh, the playoffs cloud9.gif ... Nothing beats the Stanley Cup Playoffs...

Except for World Cup Soccer... 893whatthe.gif

I hated soccer my whole life... Hated getting my shins kicked as a kid... Hated having to sit in the stands to support my best friend in junior high school... Hated the sport...

Then I started watching hockey... and the next time the World Cup came around I sat down to one of the early match-ups. By ten minutes in, I was hooked. Watching hockey in person (as opposed to on tv) gave me an appreciation for the action away from the puck. There is no way to get that appreciation watching a broadcast, you either have to play or you have to see the game in person. But the play away from the ball in soccer is very similar. And during that World Cup I found myself spending nearly all my time watching the action away from the ball. Sure I looked over when there was a scoring chance, but that game is about the ebb and flow for 10 minutes that leads up to the scoring chance. And as strange as it sounds, watching hockey helped me to appreciate that.

I can't get into any of the other levels of soccer... The [!@#%^&^] matches between the rival fans don't do anything for me. But I will happily sit there at 3am watching the World Cup... thumbsup2.gif

That's okay... the number 2 American spectator sport isn't on the list either... Figure Skating... foreheadslap.gif

Favorite to watch about 1/3 of the season's games for one team on tv: Basketball

Favorite to watch about 1/3 of the season's games for one team in person: Football

Favorite if I have time to follow a team's entire regular season on tv: Baseball

Favorite if I have time to follow a team's entire regular season in person: Basketball

Favorite to watch the entire playoffs in person: March Madness College Basketball

I absolutely love baseball, but I cannot watch it casually. Seeing one random game every couple of weeks does nothing for me. I either need to be able to tell you every nuance of what has happened in the last month for both teams, or not watch it at all. From 1983 to 1992 I could tell you who the backup 2nd baseman was on every Major League team, and could tell you who the guy with the 14th best ERA in the league was at the drop of a hat. But I just don't have that kind of time any more. And sitting down to watch random games just frustrates me...

With football, I can casually watch a random game and not really care who the players are that I am watching. From playing so much Madden and NCAA on the PS2, I stopped needing to know who was who long ago. I can spend an afternoon in the stands just watching one outside linebacker and enjoy the game. I sit in the stands for about 8-10 college games each year, and will occasionally go watch a high school game that I have no connection to at all. Don't know any of the kids, just there to watch some football.

I cannot casually watch regular season NBA basketball. It's alright following one team and seeing a game each week on tv, and following their progressions. But I will flip right past a regular season game on the tube. But NBA Basketball is my number one choice for season tickets, barely edging out NHL Hockey. I have had season tickets to both, and I enjoy each of the hockey games more, but I enjoy the flow of the season more with basketball, because it is less dependent on the play of one player. There are fewer times when you walk down to your seat and just know that your team is going to lose because one player is still in a slump. That happens to every hockey fan...

I had season tickets to the Dallas Stars their first year after the move from Minnesota. At the time I bought the tickets I had been to exactly two games in person. I was at the 5th game ever played by the Sharks, in the Cow Palace against the Bruins. (A 3600 mile college roadtrip just to see the game, no other reason for the trip. It was the most insane thing I ever did in college, and those 75 hours are among my finest memories. We literally drove 36 hours straight there, saw the game, turned around and drove 35 hours straight back.) And I went to a Kings game around the time of Magic Johnson's first retirement ceremony. By my fourth game in person I was a hockey fan for life, and for the rest of my life, if there is an NHL team within 300 miles I will be a season-ticket holder for one. I commuted 230 miles each way every game for the Stars... Unfortunately my closest option here is over 350 miles away and across an international border. frown.gif My only frustration with having season tickets for hockey is that when your netminder is in a slump you wind up with games that you know you have no chance whatsoever from the moment you walk in. And that can make for some ugly weeks, forcing yourself to make time to watch what you know will be a loss... But oh, the playoffs cloud9.gif ... Nothing beats the Stanley Cup Playoffs...

I hated soccer my whole life... Hated getting my shins kicked as a kid... Hated having to sit in the stands to support my best friend in junior high school... Hated the sport...

Then I started watching hockey... and the next time the World Cup came around I sat down to one of the early match-ups. By ten minutes in, I was hooked. Watching hockey in person (as opposed to on tv) gave me an appreciation for the action away from the puck. There is no way to get that appreciation watching a broadcast, you either have to play or you have to see the game in person. But the play away from the ball in soccer is very similar. And during that World Cup I found myself spending nearly all my time watching the action away from the ball. Sure I looked over when there was a scoring chance, but that game is about the ebb and flow for 10 minutes that leads up to the scoring chance. And as strange as it sounds, watching hockey helped me to appreciate that.

I can't get into any of the other levels of soccer... The [!@#%^&^] matches between the rival fans don't do anything for me. But I will happily sit there at 3am watching the World Cup... thumbsup2.gif

damn LH, how long did it take you to type all that!!?? 893whatthe.gif

About 30 minutes... but I typed it for another forum first... made sense to just cut and paste it for here... with a couple minor changes... thumbsup2.gif

About 30 minutes... but I typed it for another forum first... made sense to just cut and paste it for here... with a couple minor changes... thumbsup2.gif

nice book! thumbsup2.gif