• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

small GA book find sold, anyone know more details?

35 posts in this topic

screw the comics, I want that couch !
I think that's my mother in laws couch. :o

:insane: Screw the mother in-law, I want the couch.

:baiting:

Actually, I have too many couches. Do you have a pic of your mother in-law

in a fern patterned dress?

No fern dress. :sorry:

Karima20Lara20Croft.jpg

And we're back to screw the mother-in-law. (tsk)

How about this auction that just ended?

I was thinking of bidding on the lot with the St. John's and Voodoo in it but I missed the auction and it ended up going for $1,350, way more then I would have spent anyway, some high prices realized. One lot was estimated to go for $2,000-$3,000 and it ended up going for $14,000.

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/searchresults.asp

Type in "comic" and you'll see all the lots.

hmm... I haven't heard yet officially, but I believe I won two lots from that Skinner's auction. At least, my bids were higher than the final price listed, so unless there is funny business, I'll be getting some new books!

screw the comics, I want that couch !
I think that's my mother in laws couch. :o

:insane: Screw the mother in-law, I want the couch.

:baiting:

Actually, I have too many couches. Do you have a pic of your mother in-law

in a fern patterned dress?

No fern dress. :sorry:

Karima20Lara20Croft.jpg

And we're back to screw the mother-in-law. (tsk)

:roflmao::applause:

How about this auction that just ended?

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/searchresults.asp

I figured there were some boardies involved in that Skinner auction (out of Boston, Mass.). Of course, everybody kept their mouths (er, typing fingers) shut beforehand, didn't they?

The lot with the Voodoo Annual was one of the most attractive ones -- four giant comics, several nice-looking L.B. Cole terror/jungle issues on the Star label, a Gem #1, and a cool Dynamic Comic. It went for $1,100 which was about $200 more than I figured it was worth after the buyer's premium.

Other highlights was the lot with the nice-looking Comic Cavalcade #1; the lot full of cool Fight Comics with torture covers, Wings, a Planet, and Dagar Desert Hawks (hammered at $800 -- which was my top bid but somebody bid the same amount before me so they won instead); the lot of four glossy-looking Suspense Comics (6 through 9) which went for $950 (if the #8 turned out to be in grade it would almost pay for the lot); the lot of 65 good-girl teen/romance comics (Torchy, Junior, Hedy, Millie, Suzie, Mopsy, etc.) which went for $1,300; the lot of attractive Shadow Comics that went for $900; and the lot of 37 EC Comics including Crypt of Terror #17 and two copies of Crime SuspenStories #22 -- this one went for $950.

It was ridiculous that the lot of 1,800 comics sold for $14,000. I asked beforehand and the auction house told me 75% of it was silver age, 25% golden age. Maybe there were some gems hidden in there, who knows. But the one photo didn't show much that seemed of standout value. I suspect a bidding war broke out for that one. (Was NeatStuff Collectibles there?)

There were tons of DC Batman's, Supes, Wonder Womans, Adventure Comics, etc. Also plenty of silver-age Marvels, like an Incredible Hulk #1 that went for around $4,500 or something. Cool auction, though it sure took a long time, with over 600 lots full of dolls and various odds and ends, and the comics scattered throughout rather than all in a row.

I was at this auction. I enjoy auctions in general since they are fun and sometimes you can get amazing deals. This was NOT one of those experiences. Bidding was strong. Extremely strong!

It was a combo of dealers and collector's. At the preview I was next to one of the collector's that bid super strong on many of the books, but he never took any of the books out of the bag. I was surprised when I saw him throwing out some of the bids he did.

In addition to the comics pictured there was a very extensive Big Little Book collection as well as some very rare early comics.

I'll try to report the grades and prices as well as possible from memory. I had a list which must have gotten thrown out.

They started with Pocket Comics 1 which is super tough and the first Harvey comic. It was a Fair at best and thought I would snag it for $100, sold for $300. Bad start.

Next up All-American 18. VG, no better. I valued it around $2200, though that may be a bit low though. I wanted to pay $1700 before commission/tax so I'd have a little room on it if I wanted to sell it. I never got a bid in..it sold for $4750!!!

At this all my hopes for good deals went out the window.

Most of the following I remember because I bid on all of them and got blown out of the water.

Thrilling Comics 1 6.5/7.0 $725

Action 16 VG- Not sure, but I think it was $1800

Action 17 VG $3250

Action 22 G+ $1200 I think

Adventure 43 VG $1200, which was nuts

Circus the Comics Riot $400

Superman 5 Fr? This book was a disaster. Had pages re-stapled poorly, chewed up pages, etc. $625

There were also rare Centaur Little Giant Detective Funnies, as well as Little Giant Comics 1, 2, 3. All were G to VG and went strong. $150 to $200 a piece.

Not the most fun I've ever had...good to see the turnout and demand for golden age books is more alive and well than I had thought.

I was at this auction. I enjoy auctions in general since they are fun and sometimes you can get amazing deals. This was NOT one of those experiences. Bidding was strong. Extremely strong!

It was a combo of dealers and collector's. At the preview I was next to one of the collector's that bid super strong on many of the books, but he never took any of the books out of the bag. I was surprised when I saw him throwing out some of the bids he did.

In addition to the comics pictured there was a very extensive Big Little Book collection as well as some very rare early comics.

I'll try to report the grades and prices as well as possible from memory. I had a list which must have gotten thrown out.

They started with Pocket Comics 1 which is super tough and the first Harvey comic. It was a Fair at best and thought I would snag it for $100, sold for $300. Bad start.

Next up All-American 18. VG, no better. I valued it around $2200, though that may be a bit low though. I wanted to pay $1700 before commission/tax so I'd have a little room on it if I wanted to sell it. I never got a bid in..it sold for $4750!!!

At this all my hopes for good deals went out the window.

Most of the following I remember because I bid on all of them and got blown out of the water.

Thrilling Comics 1 6.5/7.0 $725

Action 16 VG- Not sure, but I think it was $1800

Action 17 VG $3250

Action 22 G+ $1200 I think

Adventure 43 VG $1200, which was nuts

Circus the Comics Riot $400

Superman 5 Fr? This book was a disaster. Had pages re-stapled poorly, chewed up pages, etc. $625

There were also rare Centaur Little Giant Detective Funnies, as well as Little Giant Comics 1, 2, 3. All were G to VG and went strong. $150 to $200 a piece.

Not the most fun I've ever had...good to see the turnout and demand for golden age books is more alive and well than I had thought.

Thanks for the play-by-play! (thumbs u

When I want to sell low grade GA it looks like the best venue is a poorly advertised local auction with no slabbing and minimal use of pictures, grades or descriptions.

Who knew? (shrug)

I was in Boston to preview the books on Monday. I didn't realize they'd be closed for Columbus Day. It's a good thing I didn't hang around until Tuesday to view the books as they called me back on Tuesday (I had left numerous messages on Monday) and told me because the holiday through them off the books wouldn't be available for preview on Tuesday either.

:tonofbricks:

I actually think those prices were fairly low, given their rarity. I would have bought all four in a heartbeat for $150 apiece, even in lower grade.

I actually think those prices were fairly low, given their rarity. I would have bought all four in a heartbeat for $150 apiece, even in lower grade.

That's because you know at least 4 people to whom you can flip them with one single phone call. :baiting:

The estimates were laughably low for many items. Even for the non comic stuff. A set of Tom Swift books estimated at 75 - 100 brought 3500. A large lot of Assorted 1960s-70s Collector Gum Cards, TV, movie, political, hollywood, super hero, Beatles, etc., thirty-six boxes estimated at 250 - 350 sold for 37500. Yes that is right 37500. I think such out of whack estimates make an auction house look inept but I'm sure their reasoning is differrent.