• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread primarily for the purpose of posting scans of books that are at the heart of my collecting interest: The pre-1941 Golden Age comics, the books that featured the artists, writers, and characters that launched the entire hobby.

This thread is going to be where I post my scans, including my oft-asked-for Centaurs, but I don't intend for it to be self-indulgant. I just LOVE these oldest, rarest comics, and would be thrilled if I could coax some scans from other early Golden Age collectors. These books seldom see the light of day, the Gerbers don't do them justice, and usually there's a story behind each one of them.

I'll start out with one of my favorite pre-Centaurs, Detective Picture Stories #4, from 1937. This comic contains a very early Eisner story, "Muss 'em Up". Although the comic has plenty of color in it, the Eisner story is entirely black-and-white, and it's superb. Great writing, innovative "camera angles" in the panels, and a tremendous shadowy mood. You'd think Eisner's cop hero, "Hammer" Donovan, was a copy-cat Sam Spade, except that "Muss 'em Up" was written four years before The Maltese Falcon was shown.

Detective%20Picture%20Stories%204%20Front.jpg

You're one of the guys I was hoping would join in! I can tell by your posts that you've got a rock-star early GA collection, and I've been dying to see more of it.

My next book is Detective Comics #9, from 1937. Some great Siegel & Shuster in here, of course, once again drawing every hero's face exactly like Superman would end up looking. The Flessel cover actually comes from a 6-page interior TEXT story, oddly enough. I also think it's unusual that the cop has blond hair. Virtually every detective story I've seen from this (or any) era has a dark-haired protagonist.

Detective%209%20Front.jpg

Since you're posting 1930's books and mentioned Centaurs, here's a raw and unrestored copy of one of my favorites, Funny Picture Stories #1. This 1936 book has the historical distinction of being the first comic cover ever with a masked hero (the Clock).

473434-scan0008.jpg

473434-scan0008.jpg.44a74b1d9ef33bd91c55219891e2e11d.jpg

I can tell by your posts that you've got a rock-star early GA collection, and I've been dying to see more of it.

Let's go with poor one-man band in a seedy bar on a Monday night. But I do have some cool Funny Pages and a nice AMF v2#5. thumbsup2.gif

Wow, awesome comic! I didn't know such a nice one even existed...my copy is a restored 3.0.

So, in the past you've shown us the Church copy of Detective 15, a gorgeous Amazing Mystery Funnies 1, Wonder Comics 1, and Fantastic Comics 1. Suffice it to say that I'm speechless. Without speech. 893whatthe.gif

Since you're posting 1930's books and mentioned Centaurs, here's a raw and unrestored copy of one of my favorites, Funny Picture Stories #1. This 1936 book has the historical distinction of being the first comic cover ever with a masked hero (the Clock).

473434-scan0008.jpg

Awesome copy! The best I've seen is a VGF.

However, isn't that the 2nd app of the clock (after Funny Pages 6)?

Great thread Centaurman. My collecting interest is roughly in the same time period as you (1938-1945). Though my collection is so far very small, I have a couple I'll try and get posted soon. Those early Detectives are sweet no doubt. Keep them coming. thumbsup2.gif

This next book, More Fun 48 from 1939, has an early Bob Kane 2-page humor strip in it: Ginger Snap. I can't for the life of me see where Batman came from when I look at Ginger Snap. Although the cartoon-y style of Kane's Batman villains does come through pretty clearly.

More%20Fun%2048%20Front.jpg

Centaur, Rare High Grade, Buttock, This is my kinda Thread!!!! I love seeing books like these & in such Beautiful condition.I thought I was going to fall out of my chair,no kidding. I'm in total AWE!!!! Keep posting them guys,Awesome!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice early (1940) sci-fi cover, and very hard to find. You don't happen to have a Superworld #2, do you? I've seen 1 and 3 before, occasionally, but I don't think I've ever seen a #2.

Great book!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice early (1940) sci-fi cover, and very hard to find. You don't happen to have a Superworld #2, do you? I've seen 1 and 3 before, occasionally, but I don't think I've ever seen a #2.

Great book!

Saw a #3 at Wondercon but forget who had it. frown.gif Looked ok but just stared at it from a distance.