• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

Keen Detective Funnies v2#1, from 1939. Too bad it has that scribble on it, otherwise it's in great shape.

Yah - you BETTER wink.gif ... grin.gif

You know, it is interesting how much that resembles a pre-Batman Detective cover.

This is very, very interesting.

I DO have the Gerber Photo-Journals but you know? Seeing these books so large and associating tem with someone you are familiar with on the boards - it makes for a considerable experience.

I really am enjoying this thread!

superworld_1.jpg

I can't stop staring at this cover. I love the details. The creativity is astounding. The aliens have to push a certain combination of buttons with their 6 fingers to get the weapon to work. Each alien is carrying a fancy walking stick. The two astronauts in the background managed to fell one alien before getting trapped themselves.

Just fantastic. I wish Paul had done more comic covers. His Amazing Stories and Science & Air Wonder Stories pulp covers are phenomenal. Did he do anything in comics besides Superworld and Marvel 1?

Shifting gears dramatically, here's my copy of Movie Comics #2, from 1939. Movie Comics was a 6-issue DC run (All-American, a DC predecessor, actually) which intended to capitalize on the popularity of film, but it failed miserably and the 6 issues have become one of the more obscure DC runs ever made.

If you've never seen the interior of one of these issues, you're missing out on possibly the weirdest comic panel experiment ever. Re-tinted movie stills, primarily head shots, were pasted onto hand-drawn comic cartoon bodies and backgrounds. The result is just plain unsettling.

Movie%202%20Front.jpg

superworld_1.jpg

Paul was incredible but to my knowledge he only did the 3 Superworld covers for Gernsback and the cover to the famous Marvel Comics #1. Here is a site that has all his Pulp and Magazine covers. Get ready for some amazing stuff! thumbsup2.gif

Paul Covers

Paul's one of my all-time favorites.

I had the opportunity last year to see some of his originals (paintings and pen and ink drawings) at a pulp art show at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. The show itself was a little scattered, but it was worth the admission price just to see a few pieces of his work in person. The level of detail in some of his work is just amazing- think illuminated manuscripts- reproduction doesn't do them justice.

Keen Detective Funnies v2#1, from 1939. Too bad it has that scribble on it, otherwise it's in great shape. wink.gif

KDF%202%201%20Front.jpg

Don't you just hate the MH scribbles! foreheadslap.gif

Timely

Keen Detective Funnies v2#1, from 1939. Too bad it has that scribble on it, otherwise it's in great shape. wink.gif

KDF%202%201%20Front.jpg

CentaurMan;

Don't complain too much about the scribbles here. They appear to match similar scribbles found on the early Mile Highs which Edgar Church had bought 2nd hand. Just check my MH catalogue which lists V2 #1 of KDF as being in Fine condition for the outrageous price of $25.00.

I guess the purchaser had to get a loan from the bank for this book. 27_laughing.gif

Wow! That's one gorgeous copy of the top book on my DC want list.

I posted the file copy below in the cigar thread when I got it last fall,

but I thought it was fun to compare another book from the same month.

CE_M1-4.jpg