• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Extremely Brief NYCC Report

13 posts in this topic

1. Gary Platt is the man

2. Greg Reece is one of the most helpful, cordial, and personable dealers I've ever met, and with some real nice books.

3. Dale Roberts is running neck and neck with Greg Reece.

4. Four Color has some pow-ful overpriced CGCs.

5. Having a Starbucks inside a convention building is good.

I think I might have offended Dale when I first met him at a show by asking if he would sell something for a price he had listed on the board a few weeks earlier, because the second time I tried striking up a conversation with him (at a different show) he was very dismissive to me.

I have heard that he is a great seller and am certainly not talking down on him. I just feel like maybe I was George Castanza talking to the soup nazi out of turn or something!

Maybe next time, I will wear a fake beard and try again!

Seriously though, I am a laid back guy and have nothing against him at all. I am sure my experience is probably just over analysis.

By the way, did anyone check out the 9.8 White Batman 227 JHV had? I was afraid to even breathe on it, but I'm now curious what the asking price was.

I could be WAY off on this, but I thought it was $7500. Don't quote me on that though...

Harley had a sharp raw copy. 9.2ish.

By the way, did anyone check out the 9.8 White Batman 227 JHV had? I was afraid to even breathe on it, but I'm now curious what the asking price was.

I saw that book today, took an isle or two to warn the wife of the sticker shock and went back to ask about buying that book and it was GONE, I couldn't find it :(

I think I might have offended Dale when I first met him at a show by asking if he would sell something for a price he had listed on the board a few weeks earlier, because the second time I tried striking up a conversation with him (at a different show) he was very dismissive to me.

I have heard that he is a great seller and am certainly not talking down on him. I just feel like maybe I was George Castanza talking to the soup nazi out of turn or something!

Seriously though, I am a laid back guy and have nothing against him at all. I am sure my experience is probably just over analysis.

Stop by and introduce yourself next time. I am pretty laid back too.

Stop by and introduce yourself next time. I am pretty laid back too.

Dealers can get really harried at shows, especially big, busy shows. It's game day & with that comes high stress & lots to think about & do all at once.

Dale is probably the friendliest, most approachable dealer in the business.

Just give him another try. I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

:)