• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 1 or 4, which is more significant?

83 posts in this topic

#4 is more significant than #1. Cap was, by far, the most important creation of Timely, and his return back into the new Marvel universe is only slightly less important than the major first apps. #1 features no first appearances, and is important solely because it's "#1."

Neither #1 nor #4 are first appearances of any character, but #1 is at least the first appearance and origin of the Avengers team.

Being the first appearance of the Avengers team does matter, or so the market has decided. Their census numbers are similar and #1 isn't so much more valuable just because it's a first issue. No doubt had the Avengers team been introduced in a different comic, #1 would be worth considerably less than 4.

It's only worth more because it has a "1" on the cover.

Had it been issue #93 of Long Running Marvel Title, and Cap's first SA app was #96, #96 would be worth more.

Bologna. Iron Man 1 is a silver age comic that has that flashy "1" on the cover and it's worth about $150 in 5.5. Avengers 1 goes for over $2000 in that same grade.

:eyeroll:

It's statements like this that make it difficult to take you seriously in any way.

The "#1" alone doesn't mean anything. That it's AVENGERS #1 is the point. Obviously...OBVIOUSLY...being "generic first issue" means very little, as X-Force #1 proves. This is very, very, ultra-obvious from the context of this discussion.

"It's only worth MORE (than #4)" is what I actually said.

Why such a enormous price difference? Iron Man 1 is NOT the first appearance of Iron Man. Sure, Iron Man 1 has a fair bit more copies on the census, but not enough to justify selling for 14X the price.

How does Wolverine 1 from the 1982 mini-series, with that flashy "1", compare price wise to Hulk 181?

There are TONS of first issue comics that are completely worthless. You are insane to suggest the "1" on the cover is even close to being as meaningful to being the first appearance and origin of the Avengers team.

Which, of course, is why I would never say anything so stupid.

(thumbs u

Any fool would understand this, and reasonably conclude, then, that I was NOT saying that every first issue is worth bazillions, but that the first issue of THE AVENGERS is worth MORE THAN the FOURTH issue of THE AVENGERS because it's THE FIRST ISSUE OF THE AVENGERS.

Got it...?

The word "more" is your contextual clue to what I was saying. I never said "it's only worth anything at all..."

(thumbs u

Relative to the 1 vs 4 debate is that I see the Avengers origin and creation as a relatively important and original concept in the marvel universe. While Cap is great and worthy of being a mega SA key, Avengers 1 barely wins out for me.

The last panel alone says it all. ;)

Yeah. The reemergence of Cap (in my opinion) is given too much weight. Without a doubt he is an iconic figure and I grant Captain America Comics 1 all due respect in the world as a mega-key.

Bringing him back in Cap 4 is no doubt an important event, but since it's not even close to being his first appearance I don't place as much value on it as the market does.

So NOW you're finally admitting Avengers 1 wish primarily worth more than 4 because it's the origin and first appearance of the Avengers?

Any fool knows that the primary worth of Avengers #1 is because it's AVENGERS #1. That's what I said originally, too. You just need to read it.

Whether it's "primarily" worth MORE than #4 is the very essence of the debate.

You do know these posts are date and time stamped, right?

hm

You know, I didn't! Things make a lot more sense now!

/sarcasm

Any fool knows that the primary worth of Avengers #1 is because it's AVENGERS #1. That's what I said originally, too. You just need to read it.

Yet, you disagreed with my initial response which pointed out the first appearance being THE primary reason it's worth more.

Also, being AVENGERS #1 does not on its own mean being the first appearance. None of the SPIDER-MAN #1 comics are the first appearance of Spider-man.

Neither #1 nor #4 are first appearances of any character, but #1 is at least the first appearance and origin of the Avengers team.

Being the first appearance of the Avengers team does matter, or so the market has decided. Their census numbers are similar and #1 isn't so much more valuable just because it's a first issue. No doubt had the Avengers team been introduced in a different comic, #1 would be worth considerably less than 4.

RMA, so now you agree with me on this? (shrug)

Edit: Glad to see you finally admit by your silence that my initial reply is true and correct.

I have both and I vote for Avengers 4.

Has anyone noticed that of the Marvel Golden Record Reprints (listed below), Marvel selected Avengers 4 and not Av 1?

Spider-Man 1

Fantastic Four 1

JIM 83

Avengers 4

so you're saying that ASM 1 is more significant than AF15? hm:screwy:

Has anyone noticed that of the Marvel Golden Record Reprints (listed below), Marvel selected Avengers 4 and not Av 1?

Spider-Man 1

Fantastic Four 1

JIM 83

Avengers 4

so you're saying that ASM 1 is more significant than AF15? hm:screwy:

Bazinga.gif

Spider-Man 1

Fantastic Four 1

JIM 83

Avengers 4

I have both and I vote for AV 1. Anyone notice that marvel selected spider-man 1 and not AF 15? :baiting:

Haha, touche!

Good point, using my stuff against me. No, I would never argue that ASM 1 is more significant than AF 15.. Everybody knows that AF 15 is the grail of the silver age, although I love my ASM 1 as much as my AF15, because he gets his own title and begins the dynasty.

This thread is still about Avengers 1 versus Avengers 4 and I believe #4 edges out #1 because it is the return of Cap to the Marvel Silver age.

Edit: Glad to see you finally admit by your silence that my initial reply is true and correct.

Try again.

Both Avengers 1 and 4 are very important silver age marvels. Avengers 1 started the awesome team up, but avengers 4 brought back Captain America. Which in your opinion is more significant overall?

I vote Avengers 1. Bringing Captain America back was a negative.

:grin:

Try again.

Oh, so now you disagree with me again? I never know from day to day.

Haha, touche!

Good point, using my stuff against me. No, I would never argue that ASM 1 is more significant than AF 15.. Everybody knows that AF 15 is the grail of the silver age, although I love my ASM 1 as much as my AF15, because he gets his own title and begins the dynasty.

This thread is still about Avengers 1 versus Avengers 4 and I believe #4 edges out #1 because it is the return of Cap to the Marvel Silver age.

I just can't understand how you can think the return of Cap is more significant than origin and first appearance of the Avengers. No doubt Captain America is iconic, but Avengers 4 isn't even close to being his first appearance.