• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Incorporated and manipulation...

109 posts in this topic

Well it was $1250 with tax, a LOT of tax. Those damn NY taxes multiply the cost of the book so much! :baiting:

Kenny sent me photos of the book before, and suffice it to say that although I thought it was extensively restored, it ended up being less than I had imagined. From 0.5 cm in or so on all edges it's all real.

Tim, I'm glad you can share in my joy. Thanks for chiming in!

I asked Matt about it and he had the gall to tell me everything that had been done to it with great honesty.

I don't think anyone has ever accused Matt of failure to disclose the types of restoration for which disclosure has traditionally been considered to be required.

Quite frankly, praising him for doing this is like praising a 2nd grade math teacher for teaching kids how to do basic arithmetic. It's what he's supposed to do.

I think your satire detector needs some adjusting. :baiting:

Dan, I was delighted you picked up the book and are very happy with it.

I just didn't think that Matt needed to be praised for doing what he's supposed to do.

Well it was $1250 with tax, a LOT of tax. Those damn NY taxes multiply the cost of the book so much! :baiting:

Kenny sent me photos of the book before, and suffice it to say that although I thought it was extensively restored, it ended up being less than I had imagined. From 0.5 cm in or so on all edges it's all real.

Wow!

Even so, to pick up a Cap #1 at that cost seems like a GREAT deal. :applause:

Is any part of the cover original; and how (if you don't mind my asking) were you able to get such an incredible deal?

Wow!

Is any part of the cover original; and how (if you don't mind my asking) were you able to get such an incredible deal?

It wasn't $1250.

Wow!

It wasn't $1250.

The restoration on the book cost more than $1250.

Gorgeous book, by the way. But not surprising considering how many sweet extensively restored books Matt and Kenny have been turning out for the past couple of years. They are head and shoulders above everyone else in the comic restoration business right now, IMO.

sweet. :cloud9: i wish i knew how much it was for sale.
it was only like $1,250 (thumbs u

Not a bad price for a photocopy!

:D

Sold the first day of the show too, Dan knew the goods when he saw it.

I wanted to keep the book to be honest with you, Matt said....."No"

Big meanie that he is.

Is the book in question a little of your handiwork, Ze-man?

Great looking book Dan!!

Thanks Ryan, actually it is a lot of my handiwork.

I've been busy. :juggle:

Not busy enough :makepoint:

There are many extremely talented restoration artists in this hobby. But when it comes to restoration, in my opinion Kenny/Matt are currently the best in the business. Some of the books they've been working on lately have turned out incredibly well. I can't say enough good things about these two and the work they're doing.

That Cap 1 looks amazing. I wish I'd had a chance to see it in NYC! :(

Congrats on the purchase (worship)(worship)

There are many extremely talented restoration artists in this hobby. But when it comes to restoration, in my opinion Kenny/Matt are currently the best in the business. Some of the books they've been working on lately have turned out incredibly well. I can't say enough good things about these two and the work they're doing.

That Cap 1 looks amazing. I wish I'd had a chance to see it in NYC! :(

Congrats on the purchase (worship)(worship)

I kept coming by the booth to show you, but our paths never crossed. :(

I asked Kenny to show the 2nd photo because I think it highlights one of the most important features of the work that was done; namely the change in how sound & solid the book is. One of the points that sold me on the book was how supple & flexible everything was despite the paper being Cr/OW. Timelys aren't known for their supple paper. So when he sent me the photos and you can see how tenuous the spine is there, compared to now where the book is full of life, I was a little shocked.

I'm looking at the scan that I posted, and when I reduced it it became a little lumpy so the work doesn't look quite as nice as it is in hand.

Matt and Kenny have discovered a new form of manipulation. I was looking at their books in NYCC and a book really stood out from the middle. The colors were gorgeous and vivid. I took it down to look at it and thought "this looks too nice". I asked Matt about it and he had the gall to tell me everything that had been done to it with great honesty. Then he has the stones to price it reasonably and give me a very nice time payment plan, and the next thing you know I'm walking away with it in my bag.

I never would have bought an extensively restored book in the past, but the techniques that they have developed & refined make their "extensive" very palatable.

I can't believe these guys have manipulated me into buying such a killer book :frustrated:

Dan, that looks pretty killer.

Wish you would have stopped by to show me. I'd have loved to have seen it in hand!

Wish you would have stopped by to show me. I'd have loved to have seen it in hand!

He was afraid you would scrape off the entire cover, and call it a bindery chip.

^^

j/k Roy, it's just too fun teasing you about that.

:hi: