• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

Collectors will always buy high grade books...

From anyone?

Under any circumstances?

Yeah, some of them probably will...so maybe the rest of us need to scream just a little bit louder.

You know they will. How many people have rolled the dice with Hammer even after being here and reading the multitude of threads/warnings?

Mephistopheles has a sweet Suspense #3 for 15% over OSPG that is getting a lot of looks on the 'Bay.

I think that was the copy that The Dread Dormammu used to own. Sweet book :cloud9:

I find it so ironic that so many come on this board to say they won't buy from Doug but yet he continues to run a business and isn't folding in this downturned economy. We are talking about high end books with hefty prices...he still is making money...going to shows...

He has a lot of books consigned to him regardless of his past and continues to post in this forum, advertise in OSPG, is an advisor to OSPG, wins awards from CGC registry, etc. Am I wrong that this all seems so hypocritical?

Clearly people are doing business with him and based on the high grade books he sells we aren't talking about the common collector. These are high end CGC collectors. Big $$$$

Something seems off kilter...(and RMA, I know about your screaming girl picture in case you feel like posting it again).

And in case it comes up...when I first got back into collecting last year I did buy a few TOS from Doug (1 before I knew about his past and a few more after I heard). Service was good and I had no problems. Haven't bought from him since though.

Based on Bob's story, Doug was wrong for approaching customers at someone else's booth. That's clear.

But my point is...all this holier than thou stuff seems to be pointless. The guy is still well entrenched in this hobby and all the credible sources (OSPG, GPA, CGC) still do business with him. Go figure. hm

What's hypocritical?

The posters who have come out strongly against Doug have stated that they won't deal with him, buying or selling. Do you also want us to firebomb his house or something? (shrug)

Sigh....

It's hypocritical that this is the CGC forum where all of us gather...collect their books and he is fully ostrosized in any thread that comes up on here.

Yet, he advertises on this forum, CGC takes his money just like any other dealer, he is an advisor to the OSPG, provides sales data to GPA, attends shows and hangs out with people who seem to be well respected here (such as Jaime Graham and Matt Nelson to name a few) and he continues to sell high grade CGC books that just miraculously seem to sell and be consigned to his business.

hm I guess that's not hypocritical?

And nobody said to do anything to his house. It's in a gated community anyway, so good luck getting in. ;)

Hang on, hang on...

Who precisely are you suggesting is hypocritical?

The only people who have come out against him in this fashion are the boarders who have decided they don't wish to support a shyster.

So they don't.

When did CGC state they had real problems with his conduct? When did Overstreet? When did Matt Nelson?

That's not hypocrisy...that's simply a case of them not being arsed how he makes his money, just so long as they get their cut.

Unethically on their part? Maybe.

Hypocritical? No.

Ok fair enough...

But boardies like Jamie Graham, Matt Nelson seem to hang out with him just fine.

It comes down to ethics, true. But given his issues I am surprised OSPG, GPA and CGC will knowingly and openly deal with him. Based on the ewert event alone you would think CGC would have banned him. At least that seems logical to me.

Doug Schmell of Pedigreecomics.com sees my customer, comes over and hands him and I a sale sheet of books he has for sale.

This is while I am speaking to my customer giving him prices.

My customer looks at the list and tells Doug the only book he would be interested in would be the Strange Tales #105 9.4.

Doug then reaches into his briefcase and places the book on top of my boxes for my customer to check out.

If it had happened at my booth that Strange Tales 105 would have been thrown out in the aisle.

Regardless of the consequences when I read this I literally would have grabbed the book if raw and ripped it in half or if CGC'd cracked it in half. Hot head response I realize but I bet he wouldn't do it again.

Doug has bought books from me at shows

I'm sure you know where I am going with this...

Just playing devil's advocate... but why is it okay to sell him books but not buy from him?

After consulting with my attorney it was recommended that I not punch people in the face.

However I was given a pretty funny response by another good dealer friend.

He said if Doug had put down the book at his booth on top of his boxes he would have picked it up and thrown it in the aisle.

I said I wish I would have thought of that.

The picture of Doug's face as the book went sailing into the aisle would have been priceless :devil:

Or this. Better idea but I likely still would have ripped it in half.

Let's get serious now... Sheesh. It's an expensive book that doesn't need to be damaged just because its current owner made a faux pas

It's a book. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure why you are playing Devil's advocate with me.

I have not posted the moral obligations posts so I'm not sure why you are asking me this question.

I posted what he did at the show as far as what you shouldn't do.

I do not list books in Doug's auctions.

Prior to this incident I have sold him books. I sold him some books last October 2010.

I haven't bought a book off him since 2008.

Just playing devil's advocate... but why is it okay to sell him books but not buy from him?

Heck, I don't know where you are going with this.

Other people in this thread stating they will not buy from Doug or Pedigree has nothing to do with Bob or High Grade Comics. I am not following you.

From anyone?

Under any circumstances?

Yeah, some of them probably will...so maybe the rest of us need to scream just a little bit louder.

You know they will. How many people have rolled the dice with Hammer even after being here and reading the multitude of threads/warnings?

Mephistopheles has a sweet Suspense #3 for 15% over OSPG that is getting a lot of looks on the 'Bay.

Does he take blood diamonds :wishluck:

From anyone?

Under any circumstances?

Does he take blood diamonds :wishluck:

Only gold bricks....

Goldbar1.jpg

Based on the facts that Bob related, Doug was wrong in this instance.

If Doug apologized, it was up to Bob whether he wished to accept his apology. Any future dealings are between the two of them.

Based on the facts in this instance I wouldn't have any qualms about buying from Doug.

And your point is what?? Its like a sales thread on this message board. Do you go into someone elses sales thread and say I got that book cheaper if anyone is interested?? No, because that is thread crapping. What Doug did, to make it easier to understand, can be called booth crapping. Difference is that Bob paid thousands for his booth and Doug got a badge from someone to get in free. End Story.