• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Key issues from the 90's?

141 posts in this topic

Valiant Voice newspaper.
Really? hm

Supposedly there are some Valiant Voice later newsletters completest try and track down, but the distribution numbers are low.

Valiant especially brings out the completest in collectors.

Valiant Voice newspaper.
Really? hm

Supposedly there are some Valiant Voice later newsletters completest try and track down, but the distribution numbers are low.

Valiant especially brings out the completest in collectors.

and early 90s investors... lol

Try finding valiant voice #19, that was the last book I needed and it ran me $60 on eBay.

One Valiant collector had a bundle of them at one point, for a while, he was just about the only source for VV #19.

That's what happened to my store bundle back in the day!

Yeah it's funny with that being the case, the collector couldnt sell me one to finish my set.

He's pretty stingy with them, but I can't blame him too much for that. Did he want more money or just wasn't selling?

Because of that bundle of #19s I consider a few of the other late issues as being less common than the #19, but the #19 is still the hardest to buy.

Yeah it's funny with that being the case, the collector couldnt sell me one to finish my set.

He's pretty stingy with them, but I can't blame him too much for that. Did he want more money or just wasn't selling?

Because of that bundle of #19s I consider a few of the other late issues as being less common than the #19, but the #19 is still the hardest to buy.

It's no like it's a pile of Acton Comics #1's, you have very limited interest with them to start out with, and a limited people that collect Valiant even want them. Now since the second Valiant speculation bubble has burst, it would be interesting to see what they'd go for now.

Lets find something else here besides Valiants. They are all but dead except for a few clinging to finish their sets. When do they get the dead universe tag?

They wont cause even with the over production of the later issues the early stuff has great art and writing. I loved reading the stuff and still enjoy the books and even have some slabs of the keys.

James G

Lets find something else here besides Valiants. They are all but dead except for a few clinging to finish their sets. When do they get the dead universe tag?

They have been a dead universe since 2000...2002 if you count Evolution.

But that doesn't change anything. Valiant was quite literally poised to do what no comic company had done since Marvel in the early 60's.

They got stupid, they got greedy, and they killed the goose.

But that's still one hell of a lot of nostalgia power. There are far more people NOW desiring to buy Valiants than at any time prior to 2008 (which was the mini-Valiant revival), since 1993. In 1999, you could buy many copies of Harbinger #1 for $10 or so...as many as you'd like. Now? It's a $20-$50 book, and that's off from its 2008 highs.

I can buy raggedy copies of WDC&S from 1951 for $2.

I can NOT buy raggedy copies of Tales from the Crypt from 1951 for $2.

Same idea.

They have been a dead universe since 2000...2002 if you count Evolution.

But that doesn't change anything. Valiant was quite literally poised to do what no comic company had done since Marvel in the early 60's.

They got stupid, they got greedy, and they killed the goose.

But that's still one hell of a lot of nostalgia power. There are far more people NOW desiring to buy Valiants than at any time prior to 2008 (which was the mini-Valiant revival), since 1993. In 1999, you could buy many copies of Harbinger #1 for $10 or so...as many as you'd like. Now? It's a $20-$50 book, and that's off from its 2008 highs.

I can buy raggedy copies of WDC&S from 1951 for $2.

I can NOT buy raggedy copies of Tales from the Crypt from 1951 for $2.

Same idea.

That was most of the answer I was looking for.

I am not denying the early issues were brillant and print run plays a part as well.

I loved Eternal Warrior and have the entire set and will probably never sell it and thats not their earliest stuff its just what I liked.

So as their price comes down on some issues is that not playing into buyers coming back? Show me more common issues and I will believe it. So me a 9.8 Variant or low print book 9.8 and I wont, you only need a buyer for that. So again the question is are they still key comics? Is a Rai 4 still a key comic (Or has its ship sailed?) or a Harbinger 1 or others for that matter. Define the key books that are left from Valiant. I think thats a good discussion motivator.

I know there is a whole board of passionate people for these books Ive been over there on and off over the years. It still doesnt answer the question are they still key comics or just some finishing sets, buying grails and clingers. On vacation last year I bought a whole set of Rai 0-8 NM- to NM for $.25 each and the guy new what he had.

I love ultraverse and I realize its a completely dead universe and nothing is key anymore. At what point does Valiant enter that stage or will it never? (Okay RMA before you say it yes I would sell my grandma for a gold ultraverse hologram copy.) :headbang:

Yes there are still key books.

Harbinger 1 is a huge jey because it was the first majornew series, ie not Magnus or Solar.

I have looked at major shows for these books and I never see a Harbinger 1 or Rai 3 and 4 cheap is at $10 range, they are always 20-30 or more.

I do think that a lot of what was once key isn't as much since for the most part it was redoing characters ie Magnus, Solar, Turok, that being said the books that stick out in my mind are

Unity 0 Red- This was always a tough key book even back in the day

Harbinger 1- see above

Harbinger 0 Pink- Still commands bucks... not sure why exactly

Solar 10- crazy tough black cover intro of major new character.

Magnus 0- The mail in is crazy tough and since many people missed the first few issues this is a tough book

There are other low print run books, but even back in the day Rai 3 and 4 were rare, but that was it, I would say books that have key factors and are tough to find are still key.

I know there are a lot og golds etc that are better but I just don't know if those have long term staying power in anything other then 9.8 or to the universe collector.

James G

I guess you would be surprised that I sold about $3k in Valiants in the last 6 weeks?

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320768268142

Pffft.

You totally catapulted off my sale in July...

lol