• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why didn't DC showcase Batman or superman in silver age

15 posts in this topic

Just courious why Batman or Superman weren't showcased in the Showcase or Brave and the Bold comic series as Flash and Green Lantern were, both Flash (1-104) and GL had their own GA comic series and were reintroduced in Showcase (and Hawkman in Brave and the Bold), but why not Batman and Superman?

Both Superman and Batman (along with Wonder Woman) were the only DC superheroes to survive the transition from the GA to the SA. Each of their own title series, as well as Action and Detective Comics, still continued to be published. They pretty much remained the same, more or less.

Whereas with Flash and GL, their respective GA series (and All-American Comics) were cancelled at the beginning of the 1950's. When DC decided to revive those two characters for the SA, they did so with new versions that were somewhat different from their GA counterparts (ie. new origins, identities, costumes, etc.). DC decided to introduce them in their try-out title Showcase in order to test out fan reaction before giving them their own ongoing titles.

no. did someone seriously not know that Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman didnt need Showcase/BB tryouts because they were already being published regularly.

didnt you get that? those titles were used for new and dead character revivals.... due to postal regulations and newsstand preferences against number 1 issues. hello.

no. did someone seriously not know that Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman didnt need Showcase/BB tryouts because they were already being published regularly.

Actually that's only known by a very small cross section of the populace, that being comic collectors interested in seedy old comics from decades past. And even those collectors aren't born with the knowledge. They have to stumble upon that detail in places like books, or even discussion forums.

And now Hawkman23 is one of the select few with that piece of arcane knowledge. Unfortunately none of us can guaranty that he's any better off with that piece of knowledge. From my standpoint I don't think I've ever impressed any kitty or potential client with my knowledge of which issue of Showcase was devoted to which hero. Neither have any been impressed with my knowledge of world capitals.. Sad that but c'est la vie.

:gossip:

Was this a serious question?

What, you don`t think Superman having 6-1/2 titles and Batman having 2-1/2 titles was not enough?

if Jimmy and Lois got their own mag, I wonder why Clark Kent and Perry White never go theirs...

Superman's Secret Identity, CLARK KENT

Superman's Editor, PERRY WHITE!

Actually that's only known by a very small cross section of the populace, that being comic collectors interested in seedy old comics from decades past. And even those collectors aren't born with the knowledge. They have to stumble upon that detail in places like books, or even discussion forums.

And now Hawkman23 is one of the select few with that piece of arcane knowledge. Unfortunately none of us can guaranty that he's any better off with that piece of knowledge. From my standpoint I don't think I've ever impressed any kitty or potential client with my knowledge of which issue of Showcase was devoted to which hero. Neither have any been impressed with my knowledge of world capitals.. Sad that but c'est la vie.

:gossip:

good points. sometimes the "obvious" isnt so obvious huh?