• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million
2 2

701 posts in this topic

just smacks of baseless anti-intellectualism. This is not like economics, where there is academia and real world practice

With economics, or more specifically it's practical application in financial investments, it is possible to ascertain some level of confidence via objective criteria (e.g. ROIC) of the competence of the expert. In the world of art criticism, not so much. Many leading art critics of the past had a very different view of art. If they are wrong, how would it be proven?

I'm an inveterate museum go-er and reader of art literature since I was a little tyke and I have seen enough examples of silly art criticism to be more than a little wary of those with credentials.

How many great artists had PhDs? (shrug)

What do you think would happen to an academic expressing appreciation of Thomas Kinkade in anything other than an ironic manner? I'm no particular fan of Kinkade but I'm thinking the first Harvard Professor to wax rhapsodic would quickly find themselves on the out with their community. How do you think your visit to the home with the great modern art pieces would have gone if you had tried to engage in your love for Kinkade's latest work?

On the other hand, a cleverly worded elucubration on some common object would hardly be out of place and any negative response could easily be dealt with by noting the obvious inability of the person to "appreciate" the art. I note, sadly, that computer generated gibberish has made it through the review process and been published in scholarly journals in several different fields. There was a famous case regarding computer-generated random words being highly regarded as poetry.

My summary:

It's a worthwhile to occupation learn more about what you like and what interests you.

The opinions of others in the matter of artistic merit are just that, "opinions." This includes my own. :blush:

Considering alternate opinions is a useful exercise.

I have not found a definition of "fine art" that, when consistently applied, does not rule out much of what has historically been considered "fine art."

I'm not a fan of Thomas Kinkade.

I do not require that art be representational.

I do not require that art be beautiful but neither am I opposed to it.

Art that does nothing for me:

• may genuinely move and inspire others
  • can be a significant part of art history
  • has had a significant cultural impact, but not necessarily one that I view as positive.
  • may be loved even more by future generations than it is now. Or not, but I won't be around to know.

What do you think would happen to an academic expressing appreciation of Thomas Kinkade in anything other than an ironic manner? I'm no particular fan of Kinkade but I'm thinking the first Harvard Professor to wax rhapsodic would quickly find themselves on the out with their community. How do you think your visit to the home with the great modern art pieces would have gone if you had tried to engage in your love for Kinkade's latest work?

Clearly the problem with this thread is not enough Thomas Kinkade.

thomas-kinkade-pinocchio_800x533.jpg

Edited by tth2

Clearly the problem with this thread is not enough Thomas Kinkade.

thomas-kinkade-pinocchio_800x533.jpg

That's the image I had painted onto the side of my conversion van!! :banana:

Damn straight.... because if Ben day dots as commercialization of art is a clever one liner then kinkade's commercialization - selling prints on the home shopping network andhaving at one time hundreds of galleries selling his prints and originals isn't just a witty one liner, it's the complete First Folio. :luhv:;)

Ergo by some of the opinions expressed in this thread his entire career is and should be considered performance art piece dripping with genius. :sumo:

His art itself viewed in very small doses isn't that bad. But its saccharine and repetetive and kitschy and thise are not good things for an artist of any stripe. Still there is a reason ppl know his name - whether or not ppl care to admit it, a lot of people at one time liked his work. It's the flaws above and the massive ultimate failure of the marketing vision of that work that's led to him becoming the running joke, the rob liefield of the art world.

Damn straight.... because if Ben day dots as commercialization of art is a clever one liner then kinkade's commercialization - selling prints on the home shopping network andhaving at one time hundreds of galleries selling his prints and originals isn't just a witty one liner, it's the complete First Folio. :luhv:;)

Ergo by some of the opinions expressed in this thread his entire career is and should be considered performance art piece dripping with genius. :sumo:

His art itself viewed in very small doses isn't that bad. But its saccharine and repetetive and kitschy and thise are not good things for an artist of any stripe. Still there is a reason ppl know his name - whether or not ppl care to admit it, a lot of people at one time liked his work. It's the flaws above and the massive ultimate failure of the marketing vision of that work that's led to him becoming the running joke, the rob liefield of the art world.

I think I just heard Kinkade weeping at his reception in the art world....I think it was weeping...or it could have been the water gently rippling from one of the 4 dozen water falls at his palatial estate in Tuscany overlooking Lake Como.

One of the two.

I think I just heard Kinkade weeping at his reception in the art world....I think it was weeping...or it could have been the water gently rippling from one of the 4 dozen water falls at his palatial estate in Tuscany overlooking Lake Como.

One of the two.

One of my friends and his business school classmates got their friend a print by one of her favorite artists for her 40th birthday recently. But, they placed it behind a print of a Kinkade painting, so that is what she first saw when she unwrapped the package. I can only imagine her shock... :o

One of the two.

One of my friends and his business school classmates got their friend a print by one of her favorite artists for her 40th birthday recently. But, they placed it behind a print of a Kinkade painting, so that is what she first saw when she unwrapped the package. I can only imagine her shock... :o

It would have been perfect had they got one of those fiber optic light up Kinkade pieces to perfect the ruse. lol

Why? Only the anti-abstract, anti-Lichtenstein posters in this thread were saying that the only reason for the success of any modern artist was good marketing. I don`t think any of the pro-modern art posters ever agreed with that.

So Kinkade might get an "A+" in that department, but he fails on all of the other counts that the pro-modern posters were saying were important, such as originality and irony. Well, maybe Kinkade scores high on irony because the whole time he`s producing this stuff he probably knows it`s total krap and the people who buy it are saps.

Still there is a reason ppl know his name - whether or not ppl care to admit it, a lot of people at one time liked his work.

Which just goes to show that there are a lot of people in this world with horrible taste, and that fools are easily parted from their money. I still can`t get the image of those horrific Snoopy paintings out of my mind, especially the big ones which raised the question how do they get them to fit inside a trailer home?

you're ascribing a meaning to my statements that I neither intended nor wrote. I said nothing whatsoever about marketing.

What I said in essence was that if the commercialization of art is such a witty concept, then Kinkade is the high priest of wit.

Since it was the opinion of some that this was such a worthwhile endeavour then surely Kinkade must be one worthwhile artist :baiting:

Which just goes to show that there are a lot of people in this world with horrible taste, and that fools are easily parted from their money. I still can`t get the image of those horrific Snoopy paintings out of my mind, especially the big ones which raised the question how do they get them to fit inside a trailer home?

I can't blame the suburban housewife paying a relatively small sum of money for a Kinkade print that matches her drapes. She bought it for that reason and it serves that purpose well.

Anyone buying an actual original though... doh!

The snoopy paintings are clearly not your favorite but if one divorces the images from the prices charged, there's really nothing wrong with them on a purely decorative level. As art they blow. But if one considers them, especially the small ones, nothing more than something one might tack on a wall for decoration in the way one might hang the poster to a favorite movie, there's nothing so gravely wrong with them.

I'd rather have one of those hanging in my home office, than, I don't know, a low dollar value vintage snoopy poster. I don't care for the look of most vintage peanuts items. Again, divorcing price from the analysis... if both items cost say $100.

Why? Only the anti-abstract, anti-Lichtenstein posters in this thread were saying that the only reason for the success of any modern artist was good marketing. I don`t think any of the pro-modern art posters ever agreed with that.

So Kinkade might get an "A+" in that department, but he fails on all of the other counts that the pro-modern posters were saying were important, such as originality and irony. Well, maybe Kinkade scores high on irony because the whole time he`s producing this stuff he probably knows it`s total krap and the people who buy it are saps.

Still there is a reason ppl know his name - whether or not ppl care to admit it, a lot of people at one time liked his work.

I've seen more than a few eight-figure homes that were decorated with deep pockets and a trailer home mentality.

I've seen more than a few eight-figure homes that were decorated with deep pockets and a trailer home mentality.

Hey now, let's leave Nic Cage out of this. (tsk)

Somewhere in that trendy Manhattan penthouse of yours, there's a bookcase...if you tilt the copy of Slaughterhouse Five 14 degrees...it will open the secret entrance to your velvet lined, Elvis-inspired, jungle room....I just know it.

Just shows that you can take the millionaire out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the millionaire.

Somewhere in that trendy Manhattan penthouse of yours, there's a bookcase...if you tilt the copy of Slaughterhouse Five 14 degrees...it will open the secret entrance to your velvet lined, Elvis-inspired, jungle room....I just know it.

Well, Gene does have a Patrick Nagel.

Well, Gene does have a Patrick Nagel.

Shhhhh...It's not a "secret shame" if everyone knows.

There's a difference between trailer home deco and geek. Nic is more geek though he would probably not take offense at the suggestion he's at ease with trailer trash.