• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million
2 2

701 posts in this topic

doh!

Colorado woman accused of damaging $30 million painting

By Keith Coffman | Reuters

DENVER (Reuters) - A 36-year-old woman was accused of causing $10,000 worth of damage to a painting by the late abstract expressionist artist Clyfford Still, a work valued at more than $30 million, authorities said on Wednesday.

A police report said Carmen Tisch punched and scratched the painting, an oil-on-canvas called "1957-J no.2", at the recently opened Clyfford Still museum in Denver and pulled her pants down to slide her buttocks against it.

Tisch was charged with felony criminal mischief on Wednesday and has been held on a $20,000 bond since the incident in late December, said Lynn Kimbrough, spokeswoman for the Denver District Attorney's Office.

Kimbrough said Tisch urinated after she rubbed up against the canvas, but whether urine got on the painting was still under investigation, she said.

Born in North Dakota in 1904, Still was considered one of the most influential of the American post-World War Two abstract expressionist artists, although he was not as well known as others such as Jackson Pollock.

Still died in 1980, and the city of Denver worked for years with his widow, Patricia, to secure the single-artist museum. She died in 2005, and her husband's collection was bequeathed to the city.

Four of Still's works were auctioned by Sotheby's last year for $114 million to endow the Denver museum, which opened with much fanfare in November.

Because Still closely guarded his works, most of the pieces at his namesake museum had not previously been displayed.

Tisch will be formally advised of the charges on Friday, Kimbrough said.

pulled her pants down to slide her buttocks against it.

Tisch urinated after she rubbed up against the canvas, but whether urine got on the painting was still under investigation, she said.

Perhaps this will be asserted as "performance art" by the defense...if "mess in a can" is artwork, then urine on a canvas seems like a kissing cousin.

lol

doh!

DENVER (Reuters) - A 36-year-old woman was accused of causing $10,000 worth of damage to a painting by the late abstract expressionist artist Clyfford Still, a work valued at more than $30 million, authorities said on Wednesday.

A police report said Carmen Tisch punched and scratched the painting, an oil-on-canvas called "1957-J no.2", at the recently opened Clyfford Still museum in Denver and pulled her pants down to slide her buttocks against it.

Tisch was charged with felony criminal mischief on Wednesday and has been held on a $20,000 bond since the incident in late December, said Lynn Kimbrough, spokeswoman for the Denver District Attorney's Office.

Kimbrough said Tisch urinated after she rubbed up against the canvas, but whether urine got on the painting was still under investigation, she said.

Born in North Dakota in 1904, Still was considered one of the most influential of the American post-World War Two abstract expressionist artists, although he was not as well known as others such as Jackson Pollock.

Still died in 1980, and the city of Denver worked for years with his widow, Patricia, to secure the single-artist museum. She died in 2005, and her husband's collection was bequeathed to the city.

Four of Still's works were auctioned by Sotheby's last year for $114 million to endow the Denver museum, which opened with much fanfare in November.

Because Still closely guarded his works, most of the pieces at his namesake museum had not previously been displayed.

This lady sounds like she's expressing sentiments shared by many of the anti-abstract art members of these boards.

This lady sounds like she's expressing sentiments shared by many of the anti-abstract art members of these boards.

Don't get a match near that argument or it will go up in flames. :slapfight:

Here's a link to a photo of the 36 year old Carmen Tisch... 'cuz I know a lot of people are probably wondering is she's "hot" or not...

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/undated-booking-photo-released-denver-police-shows-carmen-photo-171430847.html

doh!

Here's a link to a photo of the 36 year old Carmen Tisch... 'cuz I know a lot of people are probably wondering is she's "hot" or not...

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/undated-booking-photo-released-denver-police-shows-carmen-photo-171430847.html

doh!

Like they say, everyones a critic.

So, this gem showed up in a recent Profiles in History auction and immediately caught my attention. When I saw a copy of the same book among the display of Still's personal effects at the Clyfford Still Museum, that sealed the deal and I decided to go for it.

This is a presentation copy of "The Secret Life of Salvador Dali" inscribed to Disney art director Robert Cormack with a double-page hand-drawn portrait by Salvador Dali. It bears an extraordinary association presentation drawing by Dali in ink on the front flyleaf verso and half title recto of a strolling nude and Satyr, inscribed by Dali on the half title, “Pour Robert Cormack, Avec le mellieur souvenir de notre collaboration --- Dali, 1946". Cormack was a Disney art director who worked on Fantasia, Bambi and Three Caballeros. He was to have been the director of the ill-fated 1946 Disney/Dali animated short titled, Destino, which went unrealized for more than 50 years due to the studio’s financial problems (and cold feet) at the time.

Enjoy!

120223.jpg.72c2f4bb45ad1c30450b722ef2af7eca.jpg

So, this gem showed up in a recent Profiles in History auction and immediately caught my attention. When I saw a copy of the same book among the display of Still's personal effects at the Clyfford Still Museum, that sealed the deal and I decided to go for it.

This is a presentation copy of "The Secret Life of Salvador Dali" inscribed to Disney art director Robert Cormack with a double-page hand-drawn portrait by Salvador Dali. It bears an extraordinary association presentation drawing by Dali in ink on the front flyleaf verso and half title recto of a strolling nude and Satyr, inscribed by Dali on the half title, “Pour Robert Cormack, Avec le mellieur souvenir de notre collaboration --- Dali, 1946". Cormack was a Disney art director who worked on Fantasia, Bambi and Three Caballeros. He was to have been the director of the ill-fated 1946 Disney/Dali animated short titled, Destino, which went unrealized for more than 50 years due to the studio’s financial problems (and cold feet) at the time.

Enjoy!

Very nice! I like seeing rare books here on the Boards. I prefer books to comics anyway ;)

Enjoy!

Wowzers, that is awesome!

Just went to the new Clyfford Still Museum in Denver yesterday. It's totally worth a visit, not just to see all the art and artifacts, but also to use all the educational resources there which chronicle the evolution of Abstract Expressionism and other art movements of the 20th century in a larger historical context. (worship)

I had the opportunity to visit the Still museum about a month ago, and I totally agree...I absolutely loved it. It's a wonderful experience to see such a vast and coherent body of work all in one building...seeing the art in that context certainly adds to the appreciation of the work and the artist.

A couple of the more enormous canvases were obviously extremely impressive, in that they fill your whole field of vision to the point that they feel more like part fo the landscape, as if it is an environment that you can enter and become a part of. This was honestly not all that surprising. What WAS surprising to me was how much I appreciated some of the much smaller works on paper. I also appreciated the museum's observation that the smaller works on paper weren't always prelims for larger works on canvas. Sometimes the works on canvas came first, and sometimes the works on paper were a destination in and of themselves.

I definitely look forward to visiting again in the future...and highly recommend it to anyone that might find themselves in Denver with a little bit of time to kill.

Then go to Euclid Hall for some eclectic and exciting beer choices. :-)

What do you think would happen to an academic expressing appreciation of Thomas Kinkade in anything other than an ironic manner? I'm no particular fan of Kinkade but I'm thinking the first Harvard Professor to wax rhapsodic would quickly find themselves on the out with their community. How do you think your visit to the home with the great modern art pieces would have gone if you had tried to engage in your love for Kinkade's latest work?

I'm not a fan of Thomas Kinkade.

Clearly the problem with this thread is not enough Thomas Kinkade.

thomas-kinkade-pinocchio_800x533.jpg

Just saw the news that Thomas Kinkade passed away at age 54. If not for this thread, I would have had no idea who Thomas Kinkade was. I think I liked it better that way.

What do you think would happen to an academic expressing appreciation of Thomas Kinkade in anything other than an ironic manner? I'm no particular fan of Kinkade but I'm thinking the first Harvard Professor to wax rhapsodic would quickly find themselves on the out with their community. How do you think your visit to the home with the great modern art pieces would have gone if you had tried to engage in your love for Kinkade's latest work?

I'm not a fan of Thomas Kinkade.

Clearly the problem with this thread is not enough Thomas Kinkade.

thomas-kinkade-pinocchio_800x533.jpg

Just saw the news that Thomas Kinkade passed away at age 54. If not for this thread, I would have had no idea who Thomas Kinkade was. I think I liked it better that way.

The landfills of the world are breathing a little easier today.

Very intersting link. Gene, is there an end game for a contemporary art "investor" other than find a greater fool? Are there many documented cases of guys getting tax benefits by donating to museums, or selling their art to the company on whose board they sit? I am not talking about things like insurance fraud, but legal ways to liquidate this (sorry if this question offends anyone).

The landfills of the world are breathing a little easier today.

Someone started a Kinkade thread in "General", and it`s shocking how many people on the boards apparently actually like his work! :facepalm:

It`s a thread worth checking out if only for the hilarious parodies of Kinkade`s work that are posted. Kinkade`s real Disney-influenced work is then posted, and it took me a while to realize that was the real thing and not more parodies.