• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In praise of Drawboxes

31 posts in this topic

When I first heard of these a few years ago, I thought it was a great idea. The place I get most of my supplies from didn't carry them but soon started carrying BCWs knock off of them. I bought about twenty and from the start was a bit disappointed in them. They were rather cheaply made and didn't quite line up straight. After about a year, the sides began to bow on the boxes on the bottom.

At NYCC, I ran into the people from CollectionDrawers and was very impressed by the boxes they had on display. When I told them I was using the BCW boxes, they offered a great deal- a $3 rebate for each BCW I would replace with one of their boxes.

In addition to each box locking to its neighbor boxes to provide nice straight columns, they also come with a pretty unique rail and divider system that allows you to keep the book half full but the comics upright. The finished product is two or three times stronger than the BCW boxes and looks much nicer to boot. Another great feature is you can slide the drawer about 90% out and look thru the books without having to hold the drawer up.

It took me about two hours to assemble, and lock in 19 boxes.

Now comes the fun part, transferring a few thousand books into them.

If you have not yet checked them out, their website is www.CollectionDrawer.com

I still like to interleave plywood or 3/4" particle (24" or so by however long you need) board between every two-three layers.

This REALLY distributes the weight and allows you to pull out a box completely and for long periods of time. If you go REALLY high (over 6 which isn't recommended), you need the additional structural support.

I went all in and replaced my 70 short boxes this past Summer with 30 of the long drawer boxes.

I built a cabinet out of plywood to house them, stained it and varnished it. It looks great.

I plan on posting pics in my comic room thread at some point.

Couldn't be happier with them.

Would like to see some pics of drawerbox set ups in here if anyone has them handy.

Here's an old picture of my comic book room - I'm in the middle of replacing everything with custom wood cabinets, but this is what it used to look like:

cbr-main9.jpg

We're both bad - I've got stacks of unsorted books piled on my boxes too, just waiting their turn...

Those are the "waiting to be read" piles. That's the on deck circle, I have a table that has stacks on it that I'm currently going through. It's a good thing I like reading them or it could be a chore :)

At one time I have about 10,000 books.

Then I threw away all my Ditko books & was thereby able to scale back to about 10,000 books.

:applause: