• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIRDS of PREY canceled

17 posts in this topic

I read in the paper today that the WB network has cancelled the BIRDS of PREY. I have never saw the show because I watch only the news and sometine CNN or CSPAN. But I know that your hobby can use any type of promotion that it can use to draw in new readers. So I found this site pertaining to saving the show By sending in BOP or BATMAN comic book to the WB or TURNER Brocasting. CHRIS

Birds of Prey online

I never saw it, but I think it sounds like "She-Spies". A show that basically only had good looking girls as the plus side of the series. The stories and acting were almost as bad as Pamela Anderson's VIP. I've never seen BoP but am guessing they fall into this category. frown.gif

Brian

I actually thought the pilot episode was pretty decent with well choreographed fight sequences. However the series took a a definant downward turn with totally awkward fight sequences which were "Buffy" style in their unbelievability due to stance versus torque capacity.

I hate when they knock out a baddie with a punch that would barely knock anyone down in the real world. tongue.gif

• Administrator

I think the show had numerous problems, but since we're talking about fight scenes - what makes or breaks fight scenes are choreography, but also the ability of the star to look like they have some clue what they were doing.

The TV show, the Highlander, had EXCELLENT fight scenes, in large part because the star looked like he knew what he was doing. Xena is another good example of at least some ability to make fight scenes look ok because the star looked like she could actually deliver a blow that would do damage. Even Buffy has SOME talent at making it look at least a little bit like there's some athletic talent there - if not actual form or technique.

Any show that relies heavily on fight scenes as part of every episode is making a huge mistake if they don't concentrate on making those scenes believable and exciting. I don't think I'd film the first episode unless I could get the stars into some kind of combat / martial arts training and have them look pretty good doing it.

Good points. Loved the show Highlander. Agree with realistic fight scenes, but think you might be stretching things when you say Buffy looks like she can actually deliver a punch......nah, she hits like a chick grin.gif

I don't think I'd film the first episode unless I could get the stars into some kind of combat / martial arts training and have them look pretty good doing it.

I think this is what helped the first episode. The Huntress did seem physically capable and sequences were somewhat believable as far as form and projected force.

Beyond that the series tried to advance the Harley Quinn storyline but it only plodded along and never really helped the series.

Yes Ricky you didn't miss much..... crazy.gif

• Administrator

I didn't say she could deliver a punch. Yah, she hits like a chick. I said she moves with athletic ability. In other words, she looks somewhat coordinated, although not combat effective. But that's at least something.

Sarah Michelle Gellar can barely move her birdlike arms. Her stunt double for Seasons 2 through 4 was Sophia Crawford, one of the best there is. She was why the swordfight in the Season 2 finale was one of the best sword fights I've seen on TV. And why the big fight scene in the Season 3 premiere was the best fight scene on TV.

Jeff Pruitt, the stunt coordinator for Seasons 2 through 4, would never use wires or fancy acrobatics, just lots of sensible fighting, if you can believe that a girl who weighs 90 pounds at best can do those things.

Now they will periodically use wires and they have several new stunt doubles for SMG. They're bound by the problem that SMG has been doing more of her own punching and kicking. And she can't really do either one. Sophia Crawford looked far more like SMG than the new people, so that made it more believable.

I haven't seen BOP, but I have them all on tape and may watch them when boredom sets in. If I have finished watching my Season Three Buffy DVDs.