• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2021 at 11:52 PM, littledoom said:

Yes.. I was talking w other ebay sellers and yes the past couple weeks are reflective of that slowdown.. a mix of reopening/no current MCU show/ebay's horrible system updates.. but I think mainly reopening.. that means saved up money that was supposed to be spent on vacations is being spent on that vs comics.. also the prices of everything went up.. groceries, hardware, gas, etc

Not sure if it's the same in the US but in UK Paypal has 2 more days left as a payment method on Ebay.

Then they switch to managed payments (commonly known as Ebay take the fees instead)

No money in Paypal, no buying for me. 

25 minutes ago, TheSpud said:

Not sure if it's the same in the US but in UK Paypal has 2 more days left as a payment method on Ebay.

Then they switch to managed payments (commonly known as Ebay take the fees instead)

No money in Paypal, no buying for me. 

As a seller with a store on ebay, I am not happy at all with the new system. Hence, that is why I started selling here in the marketplace first prior to moving my slabs to my ebay store.

I just started selling again on eBay after a few years hiatus. Took a minute to get used to the new setup, but I've done about $2,500 in sales in the past month (mostly vintage video games and strategy guides, but a couple of comics). So far, knock on wood, it's been a smooth process, and the payouts come quick. Of course the fees are a little rough, but I figure that I'm not sure of another way I could get so many eyes on my stuff, so I just look at the fees as the cost of "marketing" and adjust accordingly.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

14 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I just started selling again on eBay after a few years hiatus. Took a minute to get used to the new setup, but I've done about $2,500 in sales in the past month (mostly vintage video games and strategy guides, but a couple of comics). So far, knock on wood, it's been a smooth process, and the payouts come quick. Of course the fees are a little rough, but I figure that I'm not sure of another way I could get so many eyes on my stuff, so I just look at the fees as the cost of "marketing" and adjust accordingly.

Congrats on such success! I agree, you would never have that many eyes on your products without Ebay's platform. 

29 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Don't convince them of facts its terrible selling on ebay.

27 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I love it more sales for me. Its not like you read buyers are quitting.
My volume isn't slowing down so I am very appreciative of other sellers leaving. 
The fees don't bother me and the only other place I would go would be IG and even that has some problems. 
Please convince more to leave. Thanks ahead of time. 

I'm not a bulk seller, so not selling on ebay makes little difference to me. 

Ebay used to be pretty fair for sellers.  It's just progressively gotten worse and worse through the years, so I'm not going to incentivize bad behavior.  

You may need them for the customers but I don't so I'll find some other venue to get rid of stuff or just not buy comics anymore.  I'm the opposite of a hoarder anyway.  

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Ebay used to be pretty fair for sellers.  It's just progressively gotten worse and worse through the years, so I'm not going to incentivize bad behavior.  

You may need them for the customers but I don't so I'll find some other venue to get rid of stuff or just not buy comics anymore.  I'm the opposite of a hoarder anyway.  

Fair enough, but there is nothing wrong with the service if its not being used correctly.

29 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Fair enough, but there is nothing wrong with the service if its not being used correctly.

Agreed. I haven't had trouble with Ebay. I have gotten burned with auctions a few times but that's a known risk of doing auctions. I use buy it nows a lot more on raw issues and only use auctions for some graded books that I know are in high demand currently. Other than that I stick with BINs and I've had a good experience with those. I am not always trying to have the cheapest copy up and once you have enough volume up stuff will sell here and there anyway (shrug)

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

eBay is buyer friendly, less seller friendly. They’ll do anything to keep and protect buyers 

With no offense intended to anyone, I think sometimes the reasons for why a particular comic is popping should be detailed if you know, instead of just throwing it out there. We went through three pages of people panicking about Ravage 2099 when it turns out MCP 117 was just for the Venom cover. Just my two cents.

God of War Fallen God #1 still does well. 

Regularly $20.

IMO, I think #2 and 3 are good buys. Especially if you can get them discounted.

#3s were gone so fast here, I literally only saw 1 copy in all of our shops. 

#2s took a bit longer, but I can't find any more.  

Patrick

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Not knocking Ebay with my original point (Which I think started this little discussion?)

My point was the managed payments may cause problems come June 1st.

I signed up for them around 3 weeks ago, sales are around 20% down (but not bad)

However, I'm an impulse buyer & use my Paypal for buying.

I have bought nothing on Ebay for 3 weeks

As a buyer, who hates eBay (and the fee-covering prices, import taxes and elevated shipping that I don’t get charged when I buy anywhere else), those sellers who are leaving it - please post your new locations so I can stalk you there. Thanks. 

Edited by Arkham

23 hours ago, TheSpud said:

I’m in UK and you got a month longer than I did with PayPal. I was reluctant but I must admit for me the switch has been painless.

I do agree though I think it may curb my buying, when you have that money sat in a PayPal account as opposed to a “real” bank account it does mentally make it easier to spend. 

3 hours ago, Garystar said:

I’m in UK and you got a month longer than I did with PayPal. I was reluctant but I must admit for me the switch has been painless.

I do agree though I think it may curb my buying, when you have that money sat in a PayPal account as opposed to a “real” bank account it does mentally make it easier to spend. 

If anything it's made it easier for me to buy stuff now. I just whack it on the Amex and rack up the Avios points and get that BA companion voucher a lot quicker.

I don't mind the new eBay setup. Fees even out when you consider it was a listing fee and paypal before. I just rue the removal of £1 final value fees.

5 hours ago, Garystar said:

I’m in Canada, and we’re just about to make the transition (at least, I’m being told I have to - it could be a staggered rollout).

However, eBay linked me to a video that suggested buyers could make payment to their new system in lots of different ways, including PayPal. What am I missing?