• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

back on topic,  but Fried Pie variants are actually selling well on ebay.   They used to be dollar books... now many sell from 10-20 bucks such as Loki 1, ASM 1 (2015). Black 1 is over $100... if you are lucky enough to have a Booksamiilion  or 2nd and Charles, pick those up cheap. 

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

back on topic,  but Fried Pie variants are actually selling well on ebay.   They used to be dollar books... now many sell from 10-20 bucks such as Loki 1, ASM 1 (2015). Black 1 is over $100... if you are lucky enough to have a Booksamiilion  or 2nd and Charles, pick those up cheap. 

Dont forget Kanan 1 that book sold like gangbusters for me.

11 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

As others have mentioned.  This move is so that Ebay can take the cut from selling that PayPal used to get for payment processing.  The reason they still allow it as a payment method for buying is not to limit the buyers. All just ways for Ebay to increase the take on their end. 

eBay wouldn't exactly be increasing their take though, would they? I imagine that under the new system, they end up paying paypal fees for being the recipient of a payment.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

eBay wouldn't exactly be increasing their take though, would they? I imagine that under the new system, they end up paying paypal fees for being the recipient of a payment.

Their fee structure with PayPal I do not know, but would assume it is less than us average Joes.(Plus if they were not making more they wouldn't have implemented it fully/ also probably why they did a soft rollout to analyze how feasible it would be) This coupled with their restructuring of fees is why I said they would increase their take. (Example: They used to cap their fees on items in collectibles at $750. Not anymore.) That is just one of the many changes in the managed payments rollout.  

I find it's a bit slower to get my money but the fees are similar. Maybe even a bit less because I "took advantage" of Paypal's 1% instant transfer fee fairly regularly and now I don't. I am pretty puzzled by the folks that take issue with spending less of their proceeds because the monies go directly to their bank account instead of Paypal. I would think keeping more of your profits is a... good... thing? Still trying to figure life out though :devil:

Infamous Iron Man 1 all covers is blowing out the door. Sold 4 copies so far this weekend. 

Red Hulk 14 2nd print sells very well for me. Seems very hard to find apparently. 

Nemesis demand is impressive multiple sets sold in the last week. I bought several 2nd prints
as well when they were cheap. Plan to pull out my bloody variant DF copies soon. 

Black Panther 1 since Okoye was announced is a $50-60 book and climbing. 

Hardcore 1 was an easy sale this weekend at $40-50 and climbing that 2nd print
I would hold onto its really tough to find. 

Kraven's Last Hunt issues are flying out the door priced right.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:03 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I opened up a separate checking account which offered a $200 bonus. Free money and separate from my real-world funds. 

Good idea, but how does your wife feel about that? hm Thought so . . . :bigsmile:

6 hours ago, Corona smith said:

The best thing about eBays managed payments are all the fees are taken out before you get your money so no bill to worry about later. 

I don’t like not having instant access to my money from my sales but I’ve gotten used to it. I usually have it in my bank account within 3 days.

I don’t understand why it went from instant funds availability with PayPal as a middleman to several business days without the middleman. 

Yes, this is the one thing I like about managed payments 100%. I was always a procrastinator about eBay fees, thinking “I’ll take care of that later.” Not having to think about it is nice, since I apparently lack self discipline!

I’ve found that my selling habits have changed. I used to post stuff when I wanted to raise some cash, and the money would come right away. Now I just post stuff all of the time, and the money trickles in throughout the week. Still annoying to have to wait for it, but I’ve adjusted my expectations. This is just how it is. It’s not as easy to raise money quickly if I suddenly have an opportunity to buy something I’d been looking for, but now I’m getting into the habit of always having money coming in, and it works out. Not a fan of the system, but this is how it is.

All points well-made in the recent feebay discussion. Some like it, some don't. As a dealmaker, I like to evaluate all costs up front going into each transaction and determine whether to pull the trigger or not. They have now removed the ease of doing that in the moment (which will ultimately lead to increased fee percentages, masking of fees, and distribution of more $$ to go-betweeners. Believe me, they will not be happy until they are getting 51% or more of every transaction, and will steal your shorts, while you are out "mowing your lawn." :bigsmile:

4 minutes ago, divad said:

All points well-made in the recent feebay discussion. Some like it, some don't. As a dealmaker, I like to evaluate all costs up front going into each transaction and determine whether to pull the trigger or not. They have now removed the ease of doing that in the moment (which will ultimately lead to increased fee percentages, masking of fees, and distribution of more $$ to go-betweeners. Believe me, they will not be happy until they are getting 51% or more of every transaction, and will steal your shorts, while you are out "mowing your lawn." :bigsmile:

But hey, that's capitalism . . .

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

Can’t believe people are paying close to a $100 for facsimile New Mutants 98s :facepalm: that’s a comic you could still find stacks of for $3.99 on comic shop shelves

Raw, or graded? I have a bunch of them someplace that I will have to dig out. lol 

41 minutes ago, kimik said:

Raw, or graded? I have a bunch of them someplace that I will have to dig out. lol 

Ever since I saw you sell those New Mutants 1, I am confident that you can fool your local buyers as per usual. 

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

Can’t believe people are paying close to a $100 for facsimile New Mutants 98s :facepalm: that’s a comic you could still find stacks of for $3.99 on comic shop shelves

Take a close look at the facsimile listings that go for $50+

Most of them will have 1st appearance in the title and facsimile buried in the description or NOWHERE IN THE LISTING AT ALL! Some are honestly listed as facsimiles right in the title and still hit $50+ and those puzzle me but some of these sellers are flat out scamming people. This is happening with ALL of the facsimile editions. Here's another one from today

image.thumb.png.9c5b672a58107f2e0905b3aa9fbe3e5e.png

Now, you can see by the barcode in the lower right and the $3.99 price in the upper left that this is the facsimile but if you're just getting back into collecting and didn't know these were around this looks like a steal for a low grade copy of 101 right? And a surprisingly nice looking VG! People are doing unscrupulous things with these facsimile editions... I don't feel sorry for buyers that overpay for actual books but these sellers... this is the sort of stuff that drives people out of the hobby... these people are vultures. Some of the facsimile auctions that list them as facsimiles randomly pop, you don't need to pull stunts like this :censored:

4 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Take a close look at the facsimile listings that go for $50+

Most of them will have 1st appearance in the title and facsimile buried in the description or NOWHERE IN THE LISTING AT ALL! Some are honestly listed as facsimiles right in the title and still hit $50+ and those puzzle me but some of these sellers are flat out scamming people. This is happening with ALL of the facsimile editions. Here's another one from today

image.thumb.png.9c5b672a58107f2e0905b3aa9fbe3e5e.png

Now, you can see by the barcode in the lower right and the $3.99 price in the upper left that this is the facsimile but if you're just getting back into collecting and didn't know these were around this looks like a steal for a low grade copy of 101 right? And a surprisingly nice looking VG! People are doing unscrupulous things with these facsimile editions... I don't feel sorry for buyers that overpay for actual books but these sellers... this is the sort of stuff that drives people out of the hobby... these people are vultures. Some of the facsimile auctions that list them as facsimiles randomly pop, you don't need to pull stunts like this :censored:

I usually don't see the words "Facsimile, reprint, or 201X" in the title