• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2021 at 8:04 PM, Corona smith said:

Historically second seasons haven’t increased prices. The opposite actually. 

like on walking dead? no. prices kept on going up and up and it became a phenom. it depends on how successful the show is.

On 6/11/2021 at 10:45 PM, wiparker824 said:

It’s had its ups and downs but overall went up after season 1 as it grew in popularity but it often moved with market in general too. Start of pandemic you could get a 9.8 for $1500, now it’s testing 4k. 

i'm not sure FMV was $1500, I think it was still around $1900-2000, but I was not examining every sale

5 hours ago, the blob said:

i'm not sure FMV was $1500, I think it was still around $1900-2000, but I was not examining every sale

Closer to 1600 on average I suppose. Covrprice shows 3 sales of a 9.8 in March of 2020... 1500, 1650 and 1710. 

55 minutes ago, The Green Ghost said:

If X-Men #11 is heating up, don't sleep on X-Men '91 Annual # 1. The cover is imo ten times more iconic, it's the one that was used on all the merchandise in the 90s and what people will go for for a nostalgia bump.

Buyers' market right now though: X-Men Annual 1 1991 :whistle:

2 hours ago, The Green Ghost said:

If X-Men #11 is heating up, don't sleep on X-Men '91 Annual # 1. The cover is imo ten times more iconic, it's the one that was used on all the merchandise in the 90s and what people will go for for a nostalgia bump.

zzz Until some worthless insufficiently_thoughtful_person starts hyping it on youtube or some pump 'n dump spec site, nobody will care.

2 hours ago, divad said:
3 hours ago, The Green Ghost said:

Buyers' market right now though: X-Men Annual 1 1991 :whistle:

Years ago we would have laughed at both these books selling for that. Now I am like bring it on books I can buy for $1 
all day long. I love it.

33 minutes ago, RJ MacReady said:

Expecting to heat up 

...eventually, maybe. There will be a ton of these. I don't think it's catching anyone by surprise. I'd be happy to be wrong for anyone who is going to be holding a lot of these, but I just don't see it.

On 6/12/2021 at 11:13 PM, fastballspecial said:

Interesting conversation at my local shop today.

Guy walks in with about 15 slabs in a box. Wants to sell them or trade them
as I he didn't pay much for them. It was a mixture of mid grade last 70s stuff>
Nice stuff, but nothing stunning. If he slabbed them himself then he chose 
poorly, but I didn't ask that. 

While the owner is looking them over he comes over and talks to me about 
the growth in sales this year and I agreed with him completely. I enjoyed the 
conversation as we were discussing the growth in online sales this past 2 years.

What he is hoping for and he really thinks this will happen is seller will drop
out from fear of getting 1099ed this year. He is so bullish he told me he is looking
for ways to get more cash to buy more books. He thinks this year and next will
be stronger. I am cautious about that.

While I do agree with him I am not seeing the slowdown many are talking about I
found his viewpoint of the industry a little to straight forward in believing he can 
continue to buy keys, slab them and turn large profits. At some point that merry go
round will stop. 

That being said it sums of the viewpoint of many on how they see our hobby. 

Stores here are not seeing a slow down yet. Things are still moving up across the board. The two stores that everyone had pegged as likely closing this year are rebounding now, and another former store owner/manager that sold out a few years back is opening up a new store now. 

The only question now is how much further prices have to run. Every 5-7 years since 1997 or so we have gone through a price spike across the board, then plateau for a few years. We may be starting to see the plateau in older books starting now, and it will hit Copper and Modern soon enough. It will be interesting to see how many of this type of seller you talked to stick around.

18 hours ago, the blob said:

like on walking dead? no. prices kept on going up and up and it became a phenom. it depends on how successful the show is.

I thought we were talking about Invincible. Walking Dead was one of the exceptions. 

10 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

...eventually, maybe. There will be a ton of these. I don't think it's catching anyone by surprise. I'd be happy to be wrong for anyone who is going to be holding a lot of these, but I just don't see it.

No one had any idea that Dylan gets a costume and becomes Venom in this book. It was posted on the CHU secret Lounge group thread (rolls eyes) and so privately a small handful on that site knew. Bill at Economics in Comics is the first to publicly drop the scoop and that was last night. Since then I’ve seen the 1:100 go for 175 so it’s already heating up. Venom has a gigantic print run so ratio is definitely the way to go for this one. The comic makes it pretty obvious it’s setting up Dylan as Venom going forward, and the costume is SICK. Definitely holding one for long term as I expect Dylan as Venom will get utilized in the comics as time goes on and I’ll be flipping one ASAP as I got both under ratio and if it’s selling for 175 now, mess I can’t NOT list it lol.